FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Belittled albums that you actually like

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DefinitionOfHatred View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefinitionOfHatred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Belittled albums that you actually like
    Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 11:50am
Anything by Slipknot
Ripper-era Judas Priest
Slayer - God Hates Us All
Why is six afraid of seven? Because seven ate nine.
IMPF View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 5:11pm

Edited by IMPF - 13 Feb 2019 at 6:03pm
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 7:46am
Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity
Queensryche - Hear In The Now Frontier
TNT - Firefly

The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 11:17pm
Sure, I mean I'm not hardcore into it or listen often but I do like it. Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, or even punk bands today like Leftover Crack/Choking victim. Or hardcore punk bands (and the original hardcore not...this semi metal hardcore we have now and no shit with keyboards!)

I mean I love proggy stuff and experimentation and etc but punk is raw and straightforward and in your face. Keep your artsiness to the prog! LOL
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

The most glaring one that jumps out at me is St Anger.
Though it's only a 3 out of 5 for me. There are some serious issues with it, but musically it just aint bad, some cool riffs and sections. I call it dumpster diving!

I even don't mind the snare drum at all. Just because everyone says its awful =/= I need to say "omg no they really do"

Honestly, every band/album has its fans...but being from PA and here (which seems progressive minded) pretty much most "mainstream" things or anything "untalented" are viewed with scorn.

I like Rammstein which I think usually gets ridiculed by our crowd.
Not a big fan but I can listen to Disturbed.

Not metal... but I love Punk, and I'm talking old school or "traditional" punk. Not proggy post punk shitLOL

I'm a lot better with "albums/bands everyone loves" but I dont.
While it grew it on me tons...I still think Crack the Skye by Mastodon is just good and not the second coming of Christ.
Operation Mindcrime, along with all of Queensryche. Just don't care for it at all.

Black Flag/Flipper style punk?
Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 10:37pm
NoMeansNo's Wrong is pretty sweet if you're looking for punk.  But of course that's not a belittled album, just a punk recommendation.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 10:31pm
The most glaring one that jumps out at me is St Anger.
Though it's only a 3 out of 5 for me. There are some serious issues with it, but musically it just aint bad, some cool riffs and sections. I call it dumpster diving!

I even don't mind the snare drum at all. Just because everyone says its awful =/= I need to say "omg no they really do"

Honestly, every band/album has its fans...but being from PA and here (which seems progressive minded) pretty much most "mainstream" things or anything "untalented" are viewed with scorn.

I like Rammstein which I think usually gets ridiculed by our crowd.
Not a big fan but I can listen to Disturbed.

Not metal... but I love Punk, and I'm talking old school or "traditional" punk. Not proggy post punk shitLOL

I'm a lot better with "albums/bands everyone loves" but I dont.
While it grew it on me tons...I still think Crack the Skye by Mastodon is just good and not the second coming of Christ.
Operation Mindcrime, along with all of Queensryche. Just don't care for it at all.

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 06 Jan 2012 at 10:39pm
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 8:25pm
I also freaking love Samael's industrial albums.

Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 6:46pm

Theres quite a few Nu-Metal bands I like, that get bashed for being posers, never figured out how they are, it just seems like a lot of metalheads got pissy when Nu-Metal took the spotlight and needed something derisive to call them. (don't kill me please). Just like any other genre Nu-Metal has good (Slipknot) and utterly horrible (Limp Bizkit).

I like Slipknot a lot, Korn occasionally puts out some good stuff, Disturbed is also pretty good.

Early Napalm Death seems to get bashed here, and I love it. (Yes Scum is a masterpiece).

Also Carcasses first album, not a masterpiece, but damn close.

Metallica's Load was good.

Opiate and Undertow by Tool are great grunge-y prog-y albums that, while not as good as later albums, their still extremely good.

Nine Inch Nails With Teeth album gets the short end of the stick by most people, where I think it is just as good as The Downward Spiral.

Edited by Sheavy - 06 Jan 2012 at 6:46pm
Dominator View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dominator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 6:03pm
I agree with some of you...

Black Sabbath - Technical Ecstasy - I love this, it's raw,dark, and melancholy

Dynasty - Kiss - They should've stayed disco haha! Kiss would never be on a favorite list of mine, but I genuinely thought they did a good job on this record.

Pestilence - Spheres - Reminds me of a time once, when I first got this, I gave it to friends to play in the car on our way to a concert. After getting back in the car after stopping for lunch, music automatically started playing. We weren't sure if it was the local easy listening station or the latest Pestilence album! It is great, though.

Judas Priest - Turbo - I just got into this album, actually! I couldn't accept it before because it wasn't what Priest should be about imo, but it's well-done.

Dimmu Borgir - their later albums (specifically, Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, Spiritual Black Dimensions, the Stormblast re-recording, and Deathcult Armageddon) - I deeply dig all of these.

Cradle of Filth - Midian - Epic!

Paradise Lost - One Second - I'm absolutely ashamed as a metalhead and a musician to own up to this! Yet...it grabbed me in a weird way. Embarrassed

Edited by Dominator - 05 Jan 2012 at 6:04pm
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 11:10pm
One comes to my mind right away - Cryptopsy's ONCE WAS NOT.

Maybe not really hated, but it deserves much more recognition in my opinion. Amazing stuff.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 11:15am
I like a lot of albums that people usually belittle or hate:

Metallica - Load
Megadeth - Risk
Kreator - Endorama
Genesis - And then there were three/Duke
Kansas - Drastic Measures/Power/ In the Spirit of things
Rush - Test for echo/Vapor trails
Testament - The ritual
Paradise Lost - their 1997-2005 albums get a lot of bashing, but I really like those albums.

I'll be back because I surely have forgotten some albums.

Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 6:24am
Hard to say, from what I've read here, I don't like any of them.
I think I'd say brutal death metal in general, especially Cephalotripsy. Even fans of death metal dislike the band.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Xaxaar Xaxaar wrote:

Toby Driver - In the L..L..Library Loft

one of my favourite albums ever
Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 11:04pm
Toby Driver - In the L..L..Library Loft - As where some people do like it, a lot of people (most of the people in my experience) call it such things as: "a washing machine cleaning clothes for an hour" or "random noise that means nothing."

Kayo Dot - Coyote - Once again, the prog community seems to like this one a bit, but the average Toby Driver fan seems to say this is as bad as Blue Lambency Downward.  And while I still enjoy Blue Lambency Downward and wouldn't call it bad by any means, Coyote is still far ahead in my book.
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

As for Death Magnetic getting hate, I think much of it comes from the mix being pretty horrible.

I've heard worse (the mix on Justice is much worse, I think) so I don't have that big a problem with the production either, but I can see how Death Magnetic might come across as being poorly produced in comparison with the pristine and clinically clean productions that characterize a lot of releases these days.

Its not so much the production in that respect as far as I'm aware.
Wasn't it one of those loudness war flagbearers, like Vapour Trails by Rush ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 3:12am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

As for Death Magnetic getting hate, I think much of it comes from the mix being pretty horrible.

I've heard worse (the mix on Justice is much worse, I think) so I don't have that big a problem with the production either, but I can see how Death Magnetic might come across as being poorly produced in comparison with the pristine and clinically clean productions that characterize a lot of releases these days.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 2:57am
Rapid Eye MovementBowdown
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

And Rapid Eye Movement by Riverside isn't necessarily belittled, but the general opinion seems to be that it's their weakest, which I totally disagree with. 

it's my favourite Riverside album
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 7:14pm
Roots and the first Soulfly album.  I'm sure there are more but those are all I can think of right now.

And Rapid Eye Movement by Riverside isn't necessarily belittled, but the general opinion seems to be that it's their weakest, which I totally disagree with. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic