Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fixing the Confessions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

System of a Down's Toxicity (perhaps the only band lumped into nu metal at the time (however incorrectly) that I didn't mind back in the day).

The funny thing is that System of a Down was nu metal in pretty much every way with their genre blending, heavy focus on groove and rhythm, and unique vocal variety, but since everyone liked them but hated nu metal historical revisionism called for taking that label away from them. LOL

Personally my favorite SoaD album is either Steal This Album! or Mesmerise, and that nu/folk metal album I posted here shares some similarities to SoaD in the vocal department.

Edit: Open to trying any generally highly rated industrial metal?

Edited by Unitron - 17 Oct 2020 at 4:59pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:04am
I'm pretty sure you have a different definition of nu metal to everyone else Khaliq. Back in the day when I was first discovering metal and those were the bands getting a lot of airplay and media coverage, SOAD were absolutely not included beyond being mentioned in the same breath for sharing the spotlight of the time. It's not revisionism. To be honest metal as a whole could actually do with a ton of revisionism and not just in the alt/nu metal department. The lines between heavy / power / uspm / speed and even thrash are far more blurred than they need to be. 

I think the trouble with Nu is that many at the time didn't see it as a genre any different from its alt metal parent, instead thinking of it as a movement of popular alt metal bands (so I suppose by that definition you would have to include SOAD whether some like it or not) that had its day and died out, like the NWoBHM. Of course that's not actually true since you still get stuff tagged Nu released. 

RE: Industrial, it depends what it is. I can't say I'm super keen on the genre. I like a bit of Rammstein now and then but I don't play their stuff that often. My experience of the genre is limited beyond that but everything else I've tried has ended up low to mid rated. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
MorniumGoatahl View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorniumGoatahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:19am
To be honest the difference between alt and nu back in the day was basically:

You like it = Alt
You hate it = Nu

Unless of course you were fully on the Nu bandwagon, then everything was Nu whether you liked a band or not. 
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:23am

I'm pretty sure you have a different definition of nu metal to everyone else Khaliq. Back in the day when I was first discovering metal and those were the bands getting a lot of airplay and media coverage, SOAD were absolutely not included beyond being mentioned in the same breath for sharing the spotlight of the time. It's not revisionism. To be honest metal as a whole could actually do with a ton of revisionism and not just in the alt/nu metal department. The lines between heavy / power / uspm / speed and even thrash are far more blurred than they need to be.

I'll be the first to admit that my definitions of certain genres are different, especially when it comes to early metal. However, the thing is that nu metal was always about metal bands with different influences and their own unique take while sharing some common ground with others, so very few bands sound exactly alike. Plus there's the misconception that it has to have an influence of rap/hip hop (though I'd say SoaD has some influence), when not every band did. As for the common themes among most bands, SoaD shared the often idiosyncratic vocals, focus on syncopation and rhythm in the guitar, few guitar solos, among others. Example, these two songs share some of these similarities:

Not looking to change anyone's opinion, but hopefully that maybe helps my reason make sense.

I'd recommend checking out the first few metal albums from Die Krupps or Oomph! in regards to industrial metal, as they're pretty close in sound to Rammstein.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 11:39am

I think the trouble with Nu is that many at the time didn't see it as a genre any different from its alt metal parent, instead thinking of it as a movement of popular alt metal bands (so I suppose by that definition you would have to include SOAD whether some like it or not) that had its day and died out, like the NWoBHM. Of course that's not actually true since you still get stuff tagged Nu released. 

RE: Industrial, it depends what it is. I can't say I'm super keen on the genre. I like a bit of Rammstein now and then but I don't play their stuff that often. My experience of the genre is limited beyond that but everything else I've tried has ended up low to mid rated. 

Highlighted bit is completely true. SOAD didn't have the stupid downtuning and simplistic riffs, had a singer that could actually sing, and occasionally got out of second gear.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 9:26am
I suppose in order of personal interest I feel I should know the following genres better, since they intrigue me the most and I only have a select few albums from each:

Stoner Metal (and Stoner Rock really)
Sludge Metal
Doom Metal (I know this best of these three, but I have a lot to hear)

Genres I know some stuff about but not extensively:

Thrash Metal (I'm always on power metal's team in the power v thrash war, but I do like to dabble in thrash every now and then)
Viking Metal
Folk Metal (you may find that hard to believe but most of my folk interest is within a set few bands)
Speed Metal
Avant-Garde Metal
Gothic Metal
Heavy Metal (there's a ton of classic heavy metal bands I've never listened to or certain key albums from those I have)
Death Metal (same situation as Heavy to be honest. Got a fair bit of tech death, some melodic, but years my only normal DM album owned was Death's Leprosy)

Genres I feel like I should force myself to try more:

Alternative Metal (parent)
Metalcore (+ subs though probably not Electronicore and Nintendocore)
Grindcore

As above but more apprehensive:

Drone Metal
Industrial Metal
Neoclassical Metal
Nu Metal (extensive rapping is a total deal breaker and occasional rapping a detraction - this is almost on the tier below)

No interest:

Rap Metal
Funk Metal
Glam Metal
Trance Metal

Now if anyone is the opposite of me and doesn't know much about Black, Power, Prog, USPM or Symphonic then I'm the one to talk to. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 9:34am
From page 2 of RYM's chart, my unheard albums are as follows:

• Slayer - South of Heaven (probably a pointless exercise given my past experience with them)
  • Cryptopsy - None So Vile (long on my death metal to check out list)
  • Motorhead - Ace of Spades & Overkill (probably going to be shamed for not having ever heard these either)
  • Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath & Melissa (I think I know more King Diamond than his band)
  • Bathory - Blood Fire Death (a missing piece of BM history for sure)
  • Boris - Pink (real unsure what I'd make of it but at least it's not tagged drone)
  • Black Sabbath - Sabotage (another unheard Sabbath album...)
  • Isis - Oceanic (I've heard Panopticon and liked it. I've never moved onto another one of their albums though)
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 11:36am

• Slayer - South of Heaven - Quite different to Reign in Blood
  • Cryptopsy - None So Vile - Always found this band overrated
  • Motorhead - Ace of Spades & Overkill - Haven't aged particularly well, but contain a few surprises
  • Bathory - Blood Fire Death - Gets quite addictive once you have heard it a time or two
  • Black Sabbath - Sabotage - Old and patchy, with really shit artwork!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image