MMA Collaborators Top Metal Releases of 2010

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 4:24pm
I don't believe that, most of those albums were topping metal lists all over the net
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 4:20pm

I'll try to rephrase again,
I'm not attacking anybody's choices, a couple of those albums would be in my top 10 as well,
I'm just saying that if a metal fan will see this list he'll say, "oh that's a prog metal site, not interested".

Oh and the best metal album of the year was easily Tryptikon's Eparistera Daimones Headbanger
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by bonnek bonnek wrote:

Iron Maiden isn't prog, lol.
The others prove my point exactly, much more then just metal.

Anyway, I did my bit, if you want to make this place into a Prog Metal Archives, go ahead.

I don't think that's what the case is, those were just legitimately our favourite metal albums from this year.  I didn't hear any, say, death metal or doom metal from 2010 that I found particularly impressive.  Besides, I can't speak for the other members but the reason I'm in the sludge/post and avant teams is because that's where most of my favourite metal lies.  Those two subgenres are, by your definitions, progressive, and I can't help it if that's what I find most appealing
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 4:03pm
Iron Maiden isn't prog, lol.
The others prove my point exactly, much more then just metal.

Anyway, I did my bit, if you want to make this place into a Prog Metal Archives, go ahead.

Edited by bonnek - 24 Feb 2011 at 4:09pm
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 2:59pm

Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

there's not one real metal album Ermm

Explain. Please.

The 1 billion $ question for PMT members!
We could spend the rest of our lives discussing this, but I always put it quite simply like this:

What I teasingly call 'real metal' is:
     - being more metal then the band next door, that is being heavier, sleazier, more aggressive or more evil
     - sounding exactly like any other random metal band.
Prog metal is about
    - adding non-metal elements such as Prog, Jazz, Avant to the metal sound and song structure
    - or sounding exactly like another Prog-metal band who did so.

And of course it's no exact science. Meshuggah is heavier, more aggressive and more evil then anything else but they also add non-metal bits.

So Iron Maiden, Atheist, and Enslaved aren't real metal? Good luck getting that message out to the masses! LOLTongue
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 7:21am

Explain. Please.

The 1 billion $ question for PMT members!
We could spend the rest of our lives discussing this, but I always put it quite simply like this:

What I teasingly call 'real metal' is:
     - being more metal then the band next door, that is being heavier, sleazier, more aggressive or more evil
     - sounding exactly like any other random metal band.
Prog metal is about
    - adding non-metal elements such as Prog, Jazz, Avant to the metal sound and song structure
    - or sounding exactly like another Prog-metal band who did so.

And of course it's no exact science. Meshuggah is heavier, more aggressive and more evil then anything else but they also add non-metal bits.

Edited by bonnek - 24 Feb 2011 at 7:53am
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 6:18am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I'm sure all bonnek was referring to was that pretty much every band on the list were/are on PA.  It just so happens that most of the collabs here are also members at Prog Archives, so the tastes might lean a bit towards the "proggy" metal bands.  As more people who are not on PA take interest in this site and want to apply to be a collab, the list could shift away from this trend.  In a sense, I know what (I think) he means, and agree.  Maybe some grindcore, glam, alternative, etc. will crack the list next year.  I like a good variety.

Then again, just because I am (or someone else is) also a PA member, it doesn't mean they're going to vote for all prog metal albums.  Each collab submitted one list (with equal weight per collab), and several of us included bands that wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell in making it on Prog Archives.

To be completely honest, my top 5 included nothing but PA bands, but 2011 could be different. Smile

This. Clap
And being a bit obnoxious by putting my statement so black and white of course.
After all this is the metal-me here, not the proggy-mellow-artsy-fartsy-me Evil Smile

I haven't been on MMA since it started and I had hoped it would have cut itself loose from its PA-roots by now, but it will take a bit more time probably.

I think I'll try to do my bit by stopping to copy-in my PA reviews and focus on 'real-metal' ones, though it may be a lot of old-man-metal like Megadeth, Testament, Celtic Frost and so (damn i'm making even more enemies nowOuch)

Edited by bonnek - 24 Feb 2011 at 6:23am
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 10:49pm
I'm sure all bonnek was referring to was that pretty much every band on the list were/are on PA.  It just so happens that most of the collabs here are also members at Prog Archives, so the tastes might lean a bit towards the "proggy" metal bands.  As more people who are not on PA take interest in this site and want to apply to be a collab, the list could shift away from this trend.  In a sense, I know what (I think) he means, and agree.  Maybe some grindcore, glam, alternative, etc. will crack the list next year.  I like a good variety.

Then again, just because I am (or someone else is) also a PA member, it doesn't mean they're going to vote for all prog metal albums.  Each collab submitted one list (with equal weight per collab), and several of us included bands that wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell in making it on Prog Archives.

To be completely honest, my top 5 included nothing but PA bands, but 2011 could be different. Smile

Edited by Stooge - 23 Feb 2011 at 10:50pm
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

ALL of them are PA-metal; there's not one real metal album Ermm

So metal that is in a prog database is not real metal?

WackoWhat he might be trying to say is that in his opinion prog isn't a real metal genre.Wacko

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 5:44pm

ALL of them are PA-metal; there's not one real metal album Ermm

So metal that is in a prog database is not real metal?
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 5:19pm

Explain. Please.

he is just being stuck up and/or obnoxious
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 4:33pm

Explain. Please.
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 4:17pm

Sorry for being a party-pooper but I'm a quite disappointed with this list.
Not that I'd disagree with the quality of the albums as such but ALL of them are PA-metal; there's not one real metal album Ermm

Edited by bonnek - 21 Feb 2011 at 1:14pm
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 7:00am
My top metal albums of the year, just for the record (if there is another thread where regular members can post their tops, I didn't notice it, sorry):

1. Agalloch - Marrow Of The Spirit
2. Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
3. Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
4. Les Discrets - Septembre et ses derniers pensees
5. East Of The Wall - Ressentiment
6. Intronaut - Valley Of Smoke
7. Periphery - s/t
8. White Walls - Mad Man Circus
9. Ihsahn - After
10. Cloudkicker - Beacons

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 3:59am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Just a thought, should this be stickied?  it is on PA

Agreed, thanks Colin.

I have, however, amended the thread to an announcement rather than a sticky as I believe it is more important than that.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 8:17pm
Just a thought, should this be stickied?  it is on PA
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NecronCommander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 5:40pm
Not a bad list at all.  Good work guys.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 7:39am
I assume that means recent events and I'll add you are not the only one by a long distance Unhappy
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 7:24am
No it�s more my enthusiasm that isn�t at it�s highestUnhappy.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 6:11am
Nothing wrong with that list at all! Approve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic