MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Internal news
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Server upgrade in progress, please report issue
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Server upgrade in progress, please report issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 1:21pm
^ on it. 

Good job guys Thumbs Up
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 2:34pm
New subgenres added ;-)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 2:35pm
Max there was also main sub-genres for:

Drone Metal
Stoner Metal
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 2:51pm
Cheers Max. Appreciate your help with this!
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 5:33pm
Thumbs Up
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 5:57pm
Nice work! Thumbs Up
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by m@x m@x wrote:

FIXED ;-)

Can there be a similar "see more metal music reviews" for the older releases as well?

That would be great as we sometimes get a flood of reviews here and they get buried quickly.

Thanks for the upgrades! Much appreciated Wink
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 8:13pm
Depressive black metal link seems to go to atmospheric :(
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 8:14pm
^ on it.

Will check the links to more reviews later, thanks
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 1:14am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Depressive black metal link seems to go to atmospheric :(

hmm strange, it definitely went to the correct page last night when I started moving stuff. 
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 3:52am
Wow, big changes here since my last visit. Clap

But what about Neoclassical Metal being added?

Also surely Doom Metal is more diverse than just Funeral Doom as a sub-genre? What about Death-Doom? It's a more more common doom sub-genre than Funeral. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 4:10am
No one has ever really been able to agree on how necessary neoclassical is, which is why isn't wasn't requested in this round of new subs. 

Don't recall why death-doom didn't make the cut, might have had something to do with being seen as a hybrid genre though. 
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 4:13am
It's a work in progress Ashley. There are a good number of additional subs we could add, some of which we will in time. We have to strike the balance between what we want and what we can handle with the volunteers we have. We also need to balance what are clearly identifiable subs with ones that are more ambiguous (of which there are plenty). Neo-classical possibly falls into this later camp, comfortably sitting in a number of existing subs depending on where the emphasis is.

In the meantime we need to not only continue to add bands and releases to the existing and new categories, but also go through all of the existing subs and identify which bands / releases need moving to the new subs. And we need all hands on deck at the moment to do it (unsubtle hint to all collaborators Wink).

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 4:16am
She may have a point about death-doom though. There's worlds of difference between those bands and the Candlemasses of this world. And RYM has 85 pages of death-doom releases compared to just 36 for funeral doom. 

Those here on the doom team can you weigh in on this? 

Edited by adg211288 - 05 Jul 2016 at 4:16am
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 9:14am
I suppose you can call death-doom a hybrid, but its a very distinct hybrid. I just think it should be added so there is some way to segregate those bands from the more traditional doom metal types. After all a pretty big differences between the two is that traditional doom usually uses clean vocals. Death-doom uses growls. It's doom's extreme side if you will.

Anyway I am willing to do my bit sorting stuff into its new homes. Just point me to where your short of hands and I'll try to get a bit done every time I'm on here.

Edited by TheHeavyMetalCat - 05 Jul 2016 at 9:14am
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 9:25am
What would be a huge huge help is to start (wherever you like) on a letter of alternative metal (i.e. start with the "a"s, "z"s or somewhere inbetween) and trawl through looking for bands that may be funk or nu metal. You might need to use RYM to determine whether some or all releases need to be moved to the new sub category.

We don't expect you to do the whole sub but anything you can do will be a huge help.

Alternatively you could do the same for doom or death?

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 9:38am
I can have a look at alt metal, though I will have to rely on what RYM says a lot of the time. I often get confused on just what makes a band Nu opposed to plain old alternative. Fortunately I can generate an RYM chart with just nu and funk on them. Nit an ABC list sadly, but I can quickly move the most known stuff this way.

https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=nu+metal&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=funk+metal&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

I'll start sorting through a few after dinner.

May look at tech death also though as I actually know more of those.

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 9:40am
I take it the child sub-genre will override the parent one in alternative? Say is RYM has both tags we'd but it is Nu (or funk) here?
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 9:40am
Excellent, and feel free to focus on whatever sub you want too Ashley. There's plenty of work to go around Wink

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 9:41am
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

I can have a look at alt metal, though I will have to rely on what RYM says a lot of the time. I often get confused on just what makes a band Nu opposed to plain old alternative. Fortunately I can generate an RYM chart with just nu and funk on them. Nit an ABC list sadly, but I can quickly move the most known stuff this way.

https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=nu+metal&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=funk+metal&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

I'll start sorting through a few after dinner.

May look at tech death also though as I actually know more of those.

Just beware that sometimes RYM can't tell the difference between nu and alt. I've purposely kept Mudvayne's albums after L.D. 50 in alt. Smile
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic