MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Age Old Debate: Black Metal vs Death Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Black Metal or Death Metal?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [33.33%]
10 [66.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I prefer glam metal and nu metal, the only true types of metal!

Glad someone else is trve, Bon Jovi and Limp Bizkit will always be my favorite metal bands!
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Glad someone else is trve, Bon Jovi and Limp Bizkit will always be my favorite metal bands!

Bon Jovi so sucks! Poison, Nelson and Warrant forever! You're right Limp Bizket is the best band EVER!
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 1:26pm
I voted for death metal, because the only kind of black metal I tend to like is symphonic black metal, where with death metal I like symphonic, prog, tech and mdm a great deal.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 4:16pm
I'm pretty selective when it comes to black metal and while i like bands like Melechesh, Enslaved (my favourite though not pure BM these days admittedly) and Carach Angren to name a few, there's far more death metal I like. 

Edited by Nightfly - 03 Mar 2016 at 4:25pm
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 8:47am
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

Some interesting comments so far, particularly from black metal's detractors. Honestly it sounds like a couple of you there are judging the entire genre based on the lo-fi necro types. That's your prerogative I guess, but it annoys the shit out of me. I could just as easily say I fucking hate death metal because of deathcore and then the shoe would be on the other foot. I don't hate death metal at all for the record, just making a point. I imagine you guys would be just as pissed at the notion of all death metal being written off because of deathcore.

Here's another point: I made a simple poll. I didn't open an arena for a flame war.

I have no interest in staring a flame war, just being honest about my opinion. I do see your point regarding black metal's variety, however my starting point is the second wave of the early 90s and all the major, significant bands, like Burzum, Mayhem, Emperor, Immortal, Darkthrone, etc. it's not like I picked a niche or sub-sub-genre of black metal and generalized from there, I actually base my opinion on the giants of the whole genre. Deathcore is like an offshoot of an offshoot. What I am talking about is the equivalent of Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Deicide and Entombed, you know? 

Just really not my cup of tea.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 1:43pm
Maybe I've been listening to the wrong bands but black metal as a genre still manages to surprise me where death metal doesn't. I mean I discovered a black metal/bluegrass crossover this week. Even when I do find something I haven't heard from death metal before it always seems to be something that black metal has already made a thing of. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 1:41am
^ i agree with black metal being more diverse and generally more adventurous. which band crosses with bluegrass? always interested in strange new hybrids
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 1:49am
Panopticon, though not on every album.

GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 10:35am
I love Panopticon's newest. No bluegrass there though. I'll have to listen to the older stuff soon.

I didn't elaborate on my choice before as I was in a hurry but I tend to prefer black metal for some the same reasons mentioned by others. I find that black metal serves as a great template to do almost anything with. I tend to prefer atmospheric/post black styles most of all, but also symphonic, melodic and traditional black metal bands (yes, I like Darkthrone, sue me). I don't think that all black metal is inherently atmospheric though. Some of it can be just as agressive as death metal.

I don't get the whole corpsepaint thing though, I must admit. I don't understand why newer bands do it even. I mean a lot of the early big names actually stopped using it, including Darkthrone, Emperor and even Mayhem. That's probably why I tend to associate a black metal band dropping the corpsepaint as them getting serious. Immortal are a favourite of mine, but they've always looked bloody silly!
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 11:54am

Thank you for your insightful contribution. Angry

Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 12:51pm
I prefer Death by a wiiiide margin. Most Black I've heard is utter rubbish and most big fans of Black I've met are unpleasant arrogant bullies. 

I really like Carprathian Forest, Melechesch and Zyklon, but those last two are more than just pure Black. 

I don't mind a bit of Emperor now and again, and Immortal have some music I dig when friends put it on, especially Sons Of Northern Darkness... but as a whole, I consider Black Metal the hands down worst subgenre of Metal. 

Glam, Nu, Core, all the things Black fans may make fun of are infinitely better than Black to me, now and always. 

I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about how arrogant, entitled and unrealistic Black Metal fans can be, sometimes its such a troll farm, where people just get off on being ridiculous and hostile. 

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 1:06pm
I hear you about fans, but I think every genre has a few of those. I must admit though, I once received an online death threat from a black metal fan for writing a less than positive review of Mayhem's debut (an opinion I still stand by). 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

I prefer Death by a wiiiide margin. Most Black I've heard is utter rubbish and most big fans of Black I've met are unpleasant arrogant bullies. 

I really like Carprathian Forest, Melechesch and Zyklon, but those last two are more than just pure Black. 

I don't mind a bit of Emperor now and again, and Immortal have some music I dig when friends put it on, especially Sons Of Northern Darkness... but as a whole, I consider Black Metal the hands down worst subgenre of Metal. 

Glam, Nu, Core, all the things Black fans may make fun of are infinitely better than Black to me, now and always. 

I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about how arrogant, entitled and unrealistic Black Metal fans can be, sometimes its such a troll farm, where people just get off on being ridiculous and hostile. 

Sounds like your bigger problem is with internet idiots. I have to wonder what black metal bands you've tried though. Consider looking through some of the examples adg posted in this thread. He covers a good range of BM types. You liking Carpathian Forest suggests you're not as totally closed to black metal as you may think. What I've heard from then is fairly standard as the genre goes.

Zyklon are more death metal though aren't they?

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I hear you about fans, but I think every genre has a few of those. I must admit though, I once received an online death threat from a black metal fan for writing a less than positive review of Mayhem's debut (an opinion I still stand by).

Unfortuntely I can well imagine this happening.

Edited by TheHeavyMetalCat - 11 Mar 2016 at 2:47pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 2:51pm
By the way that Panopticon album posted here - bloody brilliant!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Unfortuntely I can well imagine this happening.

The guy was especially pissed that I had the gall to give a higher rating to Within Temptation. LOL

This was of course an absolute one off incident. I've never personally encountered anywhere near the same level of hostility from a black metal diehard before or since. Not that I've gone looking for it. There was a reason that I got off of the bigger sites that I frequented when I was first discovering metal and internet idiots, as Cat puts it, was exactly that reason. 

Nice to see that Panopticon album is getting some love around here as well. I've really been digging that album lately. Unfortunately it seems that physical copies are already hard to find. Ouch

Edited by adg211288 - 11 Mar 2016 at 3:09pm
GG2U

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 7:13pm
Tough!!!! But I voted for black metal!
Inexistence is the true normality.
Alex View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 10:56am
Death metal. Sorry Nicole.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic