22 [57.89%]
11 [28.95%]
5 [13.16%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meshuggah vs Gojira
    Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 11:28am
Im not fond of nether or other becouse that leads the focus away from the important band in the poll

which tech, extreme, metal...................... the one who is created it or the one who are leading it futher

Edited by Balthamel - 10 Sep 2010 at 11:32am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 11:38am
Meshuggah by a long shot. I have respect for Gojira but Meshuggah are something very special IMO. Also the one time I saw Gojira live they were boring like hell. Very uninspired performance. My friends lived it though so it might be me being too critical of their performance. Meshuggah on the other hand blew me away when I saw them live. One of my greatest ever live experiences.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 12:04pm

I have seen both live myself (in Denmark, Roskilde ) not on the same year 2009 and 2010, Meshuggah at Arena which was great (a bit to early for that kind of music 14:00), and the sound was to low, and the soundenginere forgott that they were TWO guitatists so the guitarsound was abit off. but other then that quite awesome concert with great energy and intencety, and a day to remember

I saw Gojira at Odeon or Astoria, don't remember but that was good and intimate concert and their drummer is realy incredible, he dont look like an awesome drummer but damn, he hav some chops

both bands impressed me, and for now can't pick one favorte

Edited by Balthamel - 10 Sep 2010 at 12:07pm
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 3:19pm
I have respect for Gojira, but I have From Mars to Sirius and to be honest it seems like it plods around too much for my taste. They have the chops for sure.

I will probably always say Meshuggah. They have the ability and the innovation, which is pretty much a good enough reason alone. They sound significantly better than most of the "djent" scene that's around today still, I honestly don't think many bands have improved upon their idea.

I wouldn't really say Gojira's taking Meshuggah's ideas farther. Sure, they're a heavy thrash band with tons of time signature changes and stuff, but they don't really go on Meshuggah's take of it. Overall the bands have a significantly different vibe from each other. In other words, Gojira may be bringing the technical metal scene further, just not the polyrhythmic 'djent' scene Meshuggah started.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 3:46pm
Meshuggah, obviously, but Gojira isn't a bad band.

Edited by CCVP - 10 Sep 2010 at 3:47pm
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 10:44pm
Tomas Haake wins this poll for Meshuggah. My father hates Meshuggah, but thinks Haake is ridiculously awesome. That's proof enough for me.

I love that non-metalheads give Meshuggah shit for being "noise and screams" but they uttertly can't comprehend how awesome the band is.

Oh, and I voted both, because really, Gojira is awesome as well.

Edited by Any Colour You Like - 10 Sep 2010 at 10:45pm
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 2:04am
I don't think Gojita got the attention they deserve, they use oftehn unconventional instruments in metal like digeridoo, extreme riffs, totaly extreme and probably the most exrtreme French band (after Magma), pluss the members gott brains and they love our Nature and are MiIjau-activists,
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 2:14am
When I need a total Metal assault.............Its Meshuggah for me. Crazy stuff.

The Way of All Flesh by Gojira  which I have is a damn fine album Thumbs Up

Gotta get The Live one recently out. All the fans say it is great. ( I say fans because I find if they aren't fans......well)LOL
Matt
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 6:20am
hmm m m m m . . .

I'm looking at my Icon now who wouldOFCOURSEITSTHEMESHUGGAHNERS! LOL

I really like Gojira though, but have yet to see them live.  Been a fan of the Meshuggahners
since Destroy Erase Improve and did not see them until Last Year with Cynic and The
Faceless
Not since Neil Peart, Portnoy and Herb Alexander was I in shear awe to see Sean Rienert and
Tomas Haak play.  2 sides of a coin, Sean with such power and "Joy" as he sang along with
songs just mouthing the words while playing like a Fusion master! Clap
And Haak . . . what Power and abilities to play so fluidly! Hagstrom and Thordendal are the
masters of the Chugs from Hell and Thordendals wild fusionesque' Solos bring freshair to the
Carnage!  Dick L�vgren is a bassist supreme and he is loud and clear Live as well.
. . . I'm scared of Jens Kidman . . . That Swedish Nut was looking right at me and I think he
wanted me to light myself on fire Cry.
He can SCREAM like a A-10 Warthog firing its Vulcan Canon at T-38 Soviet Tanks!  It would be
nice if he changed his "styles" of voice like on "None", but he was made to destroy with his
throat.
Here . . . tear out your Layranx, thanks.

Heres 2 more Vidz for the uninitiated, they dont take themselves seriously too so thats always
nice (but their fans at their Forum, man those guys are @ssh0les!).

Let the Slamming of your Head commense!!!!!!

Watch for the SCREAMING from Jens, at Sessions for "The Aztec 2 Step" from
the NONE Ep:

. . . That should make you go Confused  or  Rawks

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 12 Sep 2010 at 6:33am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 7:03am
Yeah I remember that Movie. Pretty bad humour and some disgusting scenes too as far as I remember. But the two videos above!!!!!!! WOWOOWWOW great stuff.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 7:47am
You mean the Pissing? LOL
But hey, if you can find "everyday things to do" while Headbanging . . . why not LOL .

. . . I'll hose down a Cow! Rawks

Actually, their humour is VERY much "me" Embarrassed . . . now I'll go off to rush blood to my face
enough to make a blood vessal burst Angry *pop!*

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 12 Sep 2010 at 7:50am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
kogaionon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kogaionon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 3:42pm
meshuggah - overall, they have more interesting stuff
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 9:53am
Meshuggah for sure!!!
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 9:53am
bump
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 10:06am
Yeah, I'm jumping on board with Meshuggah as well.  Mainly because most of their stuff is better to listen to compared to the bad experience I had with Gojira's The Link on one of my discog runs.  Gojira's only necessary album is Terra Incognita.

Moral: If a band is going to make technical sounding music, they shouldn't do it with shitty production.  That's why I also don't like Gorgut's Obscura.

Edited by Wilytank - 20 Apr 2011 at 10:08am
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Yeah, I'm jumping on board with Meshuggah as well.  Mainly because most of their stuff is better to listen to compared to the bad experience I had with Gojira's The Link on one of my discog runs.  Gojira's only necessary album is Terra Incognita.

Moral: If a band is going to make technical sounding music, they shouldn't do it with shitty production.  That's why I also don't like Gorgut's Obscura.

I think that Obscura has good production.
Inexistence is the true normality.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 11:33am
Compared to Terra Incognita or a Necrophagist album, the production on Obscura sucks.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Compared to Terra Incognita or a Necrophagist album, the production on Obscura sucks.

Ok. Maybe you're right. But Obscura wins the other two as an album. For me it's more authentic.
Inexistence is the true normality.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 4:30am
Funny,

I was just listening to that Goreguts album (A Promo Sleeve Copy I got when I worked at Tower Records
those many years ago) just last week.
Actually, its not that the Production was bad, it seems that they wanted to have that album sound REALLY
"Raw", everything is clear, but their is no reverb to the vocals (Cookies), its pure raw Vox.  And the Drums
are mic'd raw as well, it almost has a mono-tone sound but if you listen on headphones you can hear
the depth of the room . . . its really weird.
Its actually why I cant listen to it very often Tongue.
(At 1st I thought you were saying the band "Obscura" was bad! I was like . . . WAIT A MINUTE!!! LOL - named
apparently after the Goreguts album).

Dont mean to change the Topic subject of this thread but, I want to know why "Enslaved" cant seem to
Produce/Engineer their albums to sound good?  Though the last 2 are better, but I think they need to
call Andy Sneap or Steve Wilson Wink.

SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 9:46am
ive listened to both bands and i prefer meshuggah, hands down 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic