MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite NWOBHM Band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these bands is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.63%]
21 [55.26%]
12 [31.58%]
1 [2.63%]
2 [5.26%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.63%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite NWOBHM Band
    Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:12am
I haven't heard of all of these and I don't know if they are all truly NWOBHM bands or not, but the All Music Guide lists them as such, so they have made the list.  I suspect that this will be a 2 or 3 horse race, but there are many options to choose form. Which one is your favorite?

My vote goes to the PRIEST!!!!
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:28am
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I haven't heard of all of these and I don't know if they are all truly NWOBHM bands or not, but the All Music Guide lists them as such, so they have made the list.  I suspect that this will be a 2 or 3 horse race, but there are many options to choose form. Which one is your favorite?

I quote this post because I think in the same direction.

Difficult to vote only one band... But I think that Priest, Saxon, Girlschool, Motorhead, Angel Witch are from my favorite all time Metal bands. Also Dio (that for me is a NWOBHM) is from my favourite bands. I recall a great Dio's concert at "Magica" tour at "Biker Fest" in Osoppo (Udine). But I think that, in general Priest, Saxon, Girlschool, Motorhead, Angel Witch are my favourite NWOBHM bands (with Dio and 80's Atomic Rooster [that are Progressive in 70's]). 
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melomaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:28am
Hello all, Melo here from PA !  Glad this site is up, we can all chat again !
My vote easily goes for the Mighty Maiden !!!
angelmk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelmk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:32am
Iron Maiden Rawks
This band got me into metal. 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Hey Melo.  Long time no see.  Good to see you around again.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 11:43am
Priest started ages before the NWoBHM, as did Motorhead, so I'm going to ignore both -which is a relief, because I'd never forgive myself for not voting either as my favourites!

I am very keen on Raven - and all the other bands really, but no band got what I'd call the true NWoBHM spirit like Saxon did - they had everything from the pure rock and roll underpinnings to the hard as steel presentation, combined with superlative musicianship - plus you can hear Graham Oliver's work all over Metallica's debut in the Hetfield AND Mustaine numbers.

Saxon ROCK Rawks
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 1:28pm
Iron Maiden - without a doubt!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 2:30pm

i voted for Priest as my favourite though I wouldn't class them as NWOBHM as they released their first album in the mid seventies.

Melomaniac View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melomaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 2:38pm

Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Hey Melo.  Long time no see.  Good to see you around again.
Hey rushfan !  It's been a while indeed ! Nice to find out you are here !
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 3:36pm

Clap
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 5:12am
just like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Motorhead  glided the NWOBHMB movement, but were technically not part of it since 69 (sabs), 71(priest) and 76 (mh) are their respective formation years and all had a few solid albums before 1980

I went for Maiden
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 7:32am

^The lines are particularly obfuscated because all 3 bands (Sabbath+Dio, Priest - who actually came together in '69, shortly after the Sabs, IIRC - and Motorhead - who started in '75, BTW Tongue) all enjoyed a significant increase in popularity during the NWoBHM, and could justifiably be considered part of it, while Zep and Purple quite obviously couldn't.

The NWoBHM lines are blurred further, when it's perfectly legitimate to think of non-British bands, like The Scorpions, AC/DC, Dio and Krokus as part of it.

One could argue the toss on the technicalities, but the NWoBHM was a particular timeframe more than it was a genre or even a location.

Vardis have suddenly become my #1 NWoBHM act - I'd quite forgotten just how good (and MASSIVELY influential) the album 100MPH is.

The final track, "King of Rock and Roll", clearly influenced all the original Metallica members (naturally including Mustaine) to the point that "Phantom Lord" is a direct rip-off in the same way that "Child in Time" is a direct rip-off of "Bombay Calling".

Any band that makes their debut LP a LIVE one, with 100% original songs AND a guitar solo, gets a big thumbs up from me!
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 8:28am
If DIO is part of MWoBHM my vote was for DIO!!! (or Rainbow!!!)Rawks
Stephen View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 2:16pm
Iron Maiden all the way
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 10:31am

It' sooooooooo damn hard for me to choose between Maiden and Priest.

Ok. Priest this time.
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 12:37pm
SAXON.
alberto mu�oz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alberto mu�oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 7:02pm
i don�t know so many great bands!
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 12:40am
Judas Priest, I guess. However Iron Maiden is amazing too.Rawks
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 10:18am
sympathy vote for Girschool
GLAM METAL!
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 5:21pm
SAXON! Rawks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic