Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to metal music
URL: http://www.MetalMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=358
Printed Date: 15 May 2024 at 7:34pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favorite NWOBHM Band
Posted By: rushfan4
Subject: Favorite NWOBHM Band
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:12am
I haven't heard of all of these and I don't know if they are all truly NWOBHM bands or not, but the All Music Guide lists them as such, so they have made the list.  I suspect that this will be a 2 or 3 horse race, but there are many options to choose form. Which one is your favorite?

My vote goes to the PRIEST!!!!

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: 1967/ 1976
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:28am
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I haven't heard of all of these and I don't know if they are all truly NWOBHM bands or not, but the All Music Guide lists them as such, so they have made the list.  I suspect that this will be a 2 or 3 horse race, but there are many options to choose form. Which one is your favorite?

I quote this post because I think in the same direction.

Difficult to vote only one band... But I think that Priest, Saxon, Girlschool, Motorhead, Angel Witch are from my favorite all time Metal bands. Also Dio (that for me is a NWOBHM) is from my favourite bands. I recall a great Dio's concert at "Magica" tour at "Biker Fest" in Osoppo (Udine). But I think that, in general Priest, Saxon, Girlschool, Motorhead, Angel Witch are my favourite NWOBHM bands (with Dio and 80's Atomic Rooster [that are Progressive in 70's]). 

Posted By: Melomaniac
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:28am
Hello all, Melo here from PA !  Glad this site is up, we can all chat again !
My vote easily goes for the Mighty Maiden !!!

Posted By: angelmk
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:32am
Iron Maiden Rawks
This band got me into metal. 

-------------
www.last.fm/user/angelmk

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Hey Melo.  Long time no see.  Good to see you around again.

-------------

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 11:43am
Priest started ages before the NWoBHM, as did Motorhead, so I'm going to ignore both -which is a relief, because I'd never forgive myself for not voting either as my favourites!

I am very keen on Raven - and all the other bands really, but no band got what I'd call the true NWoBHM spirit like Saxon did - they had everything from the pure rock and roll underpinnings to the hard as steel presentation, combined with superlative musicianship - plus you can hear Graham Oliver's work all over Metallica's debut in the Hetfield AND Mustaine numbers.

Saxon ROCK Rawks

Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 1:28pm
Iron Maiden - without a doubt!

-------------

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 2:30pm

i voted for Priest as my favourite though I wouldn't class them as NWOBHM as they released their first album in the mid seventies.

Posted By: Melomaniac
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 2:38pm

Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Hey Melo.  Long time no see.  Good to see you around again.
Hey rushfan !  It's been a while indeed ! Nice to find out you are here !

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 3:36pm

Clap

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 5:12am
just like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Motorhead  glided the NWOBHMB movement, but were technically not part of it since 69 (sabs), 71(priest) and 76 (mh) are their respective formation years and all had a few solid albums before 1980

I went for Maiden

-------------
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 7:32am

^The lines are particularly obfuscated because all 3 bands (Sabbath+Dio, Priest - who actually came together in '69, shortly after the Sabs, IIRC - and Motorhead - who started in '75, BTW Tongue) all enjoyed a significant increase in popularity during the NWoBHM, and could justifiably be considered part of it, while Zep and Purple quite obviously couldn't.

The NWoBHM lines are blurred further, when it's perfectly legitimate to think of non-British bands, like The Scorpions, AC/DC, Dio and Krokus as part of it.

One could argue the toss on the technicalities, but the NWoBHM was a particular timeframe more than it was a genre or even a location.

Vardis have suddenly become my #1 NWoBHM act - I'd quite forgotten just how good (and MASSIVELY influential) the album 100MPH is.

The final track, "King of Rock and Roll", clearly influenced all the original Metallica members (naturally including Mustaine) to the point that "Phantom Lord" is a direct rip-off in the same way that "Child in Time" is a direct rip-off of "Bombay Calling".

Any band that makes their debut LP a LIVE one, with 100% original songs AND a guitar solo, gets a big thumbs up from me!

Posted By: 1967/ 1976
Date Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 8:28am
If DIO is part of MWoBHM my vote was for DIO!!! (or Rainbow!!!)Rawks

-------------

Posted By: Stephen
Date Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 2:16pm
Iron Maiden all the way

Posted By: Morningrise
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 10:31am

It' sooooooooo damn hard for me to choose between Maiden and Priest.

Ok. Priest this time.

Posted By: FusionKing
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 12:37pm
SAXON.

Posted By: alberto mu�oz
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 7:02pm
i don�t know so many great bands!

Posted By: Phonebook Eater
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 12:40am
Judas Priest, I guess. However Iron Maiden is amazing too.Rawks

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: 23 May 2010 at 10:18am
sympathy vote for Girschool

-------------
GLAM METAL!

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 5:21pm
SAXON! Rawks

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 5:23pm
I ran acrossed a band called Jaguar this weekend that were labelled as NWOBHM.  The song that I heard "Run for Your Life" was actually pretty darn good.  Has anyone heard any albums from them?

-------------

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 6:41pm
Iron Maiden, easily.

-------------
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 5:32am

I ran acrossed a band called Jaguar this weekend that were labelled as NWOBHM.  The song that I heard "Run for Your Life" was actually pretty darn good.  Has anyone heard any albums from them?

Their best song, IMHO, is "Axe Crazy"; http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/jaguar.aspx - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/jaguar.aspx

"Power Games" is a great LP - loads of fun, loads of speed, great tunes, and quality playing along similar but less aggressive lines than Vardis. "Axe Crazy" isn't on the original, but I think it went onto a re-release.

It's on Neat, and it's pre 1984, so you can pretty much trust it to be good!

The next album, "This Time" is a bit marmite - it's a bit of a sloppy AOR album, but OK if you like that sort of thing!

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 2:33pm
Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.  I tend to like AOR; not quite sure about the sloppy part, but I suspect that probably is up my alley.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 3:35pm
By sloppy, I mean it comes across as a kind of low-budget Journey, but Jaguar put in some experimental touches, and tend to come across as a bit under-rehearsed.

Of course, under-rehearsed is part of the charm of the NWoBHM - but that album did alienate them from a lot of their fans at the time, as it's nothing like as aggressive or speedy as "Power Games".

Still, it does show that the band had real potential in that area, even if it isn't a perfect product! Enjoy!

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 9:14am
Iron Maiden certainly have this but Judas Priest are monsters of metal and may still win it

-------------
GLAM METAL!

Posted By: whitedragon1969
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 6:21pm
Motorhead, Motorhead, and again MOTORHEAD

Posted By: The Crimson King
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 10:10am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Iron Maiden, easily.

Thumbs Up

Posted By: adg211288
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 3:57pm
Iron Maiden, without any doubts.

Posted By: The Block
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 6:02pm
Agreed. They are such a good band, and now with their new album that just came out a couple months ago I like them even more. Hence the avatar.LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 5:05am
wow Judas Priest are so close. I never got into those guys. Though I like Freewheel Burning!

-------------
GLAM METAL!

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 8:45am
Priest are probably even more important than Sabbath in terms of how metal evolved through the NWoBHM - more bands from that time were Priest inspired than Sabbath inspired, certainly. Maiden included.

It's also true to say that Priest aren't really an NWoBHM band - although that would be a nit-picky argument. Priest's sound during the New Wave was completely new and fresh - unlike so many bands that copied their much earlier (and ground-breaking) style.

Priest have changed a lot over the years too - check out Painkiller, double-check the year it was released, and prepare to be devastated by the Metal Godz!!! Headbanger

1990... it was 20 years ago today (give or take a few months, years, depending on when you read this post!)

Posted By: Colt
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 11:20am
^

My neck still hurts from banging my head to that over the years!!  Headbanger LOL

Awesome band - awesome track! Clap

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112" rel="nofollow - http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 3:37pm
   ^
Painkiller...pure epic-ness!

Posted By: poslednijat_colobar
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 12:29pm
Iron Maiden for me!

Posted By: LittleBig
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 7:41am
Originally posted by 1967/ 1976 1967/ 1976 wrote:

If DIO is part of MWoBHM my vote was for DIO!!! (or Rainbow!!!)Rawks

no,Dio/Rainbow are not part of NWOBHM. Neither are Judas Priest and Motorhead (as someone mentioned and I agree)

Voted for Iron Maiden (obviously)
I also enjoy Saxon, Diamond head and Def Leppard first two albums are great!

Posted By: Unitron
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 10:45am
I love Iron Maiden and Judas Priest equally, but I'm going to vote for the Maiden since they are actually NWoBHM. Wink

-------------
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk