Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SOPA/Protect IP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SOPA/Protect IP
    Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 5:12pm

Stop Online Piracy Act is a bill introduced into U.S. House of Representatives.  It's purpose would be to allow court orders by copyright holders and the US Department of Justice against websites websites accused of enabling or facilitating copyright infringement.  This may allow the barring of online advertising networks from doing business with the website and stop search engines from linking to the sites.  The bill would also make make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted content a crime punishable with up to five years in prison for up to 10 pieces of music/movies within 6 months.

PROTECT IP (Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft to Intellectual Property) Act is a bill that will be discussed along with SOPA.  It will provide for the enhanced enforcement against copyright infringing websites overseas.  Search engines would be ordered to remove or disable the access to the infringing site, and advertising services would be ordered to stop its transactions with the website.

So what this basically means is that any website streaming copyrighted material would be shut down.  THIS WOULD INCLUDE METAL MUSIC ARCHIVES AND PROG ARCHIVES!  This is a very dangerous bill.  It was originally going to be voted on on December 15th, but was postponed.  Congress comes back into session January 17th, and these two bills will be discussed then.

If you think you're outside the blast radius because you live outside the United States, think again.  A large portion of the internet is controlled by companies based within the U.S.  You're not totally helpless however.  There are several online petitions that can be sign by anyone opposed to the bill.  Those that live inside the United States can write to their Representative and ask them to vote down on the bill.  A helpful website for that is this one: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/12/29/1049815/-Internet-giants-seriously-considering-nuclear-option-to-stop-SOPA?detail=hide Link is near the bottom of the article.
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 7:41pm
It would probably mean that there would be no mp3 streaming
I doubt that either of the sites would be drastically affect

Edited by SKwid - 07 Jan 2012 at 7:42pm

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 3:15am
I�ve never used the mp3 stream function on neither PA nor on MMA, but I know a lot of other users who have and who would be affected.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 6:38am
Fascism � la americana.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 6:48am
Another video about the same issue (with portuguese subtitles):

Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

That was a ridiculously clear and informative video. I've never seen an issue explained in such a complete, focused and unambiguous way before. Whoever made that video should be in charge of something important.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

That was a ridiculously clear and informative video. I've never seen an issue explained in such a complete, focused and unambiguous way before. Whoever made that video should be in charge of something important.

Yep, that is a great video.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 6:32am
RYM is temporarity down today as a protest against the bill: http://rateyourmusic.com/
Wiki and Metal Archives too.

Edited by UMUR - 18 Jan 2012 at 6:46am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 6:47am
...Well I guess that makes it a bit hard to do database editing today. On to other tasks thenLamp
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 10:29am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

RYM is temporarity down today as a protest against the bill: http://rateyourmusic.com/
Wiki and Metal Archives too.

So is wikipedia, reddit and others

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 10:58am
If only Facebook and Youtube participated.  Many people (not me) would go nuts without Facebook for a day.  Don't know what it would really take for those with the voting power to notice.  Maybe their kids/grandkids could turn on them or something. LOL
DefinitionOfHatred View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefinitionOfHatred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

If only Facebook and Youtube participated.  Many people (not me) would go nuts without Facebook for a day.  Don't know what it would really take for those with the voting power to notice.  Maybe their kids/grandkids could turn on them or something. LOL

This. If FB and/or YT participated, then it'd be insane. I'd blackout my website if I happened to own/administrate one. What we are seeing is a direct human rights violation. They can't get away with it.
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by DefinitionOfHatred DefinitionOfHatred wrote:

Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

If only Facebook and Youtube participated. �Many people (not me) would go nuts without Facebook for a day. �Don't know what it would really take for those with the voting power to notice. �Maybe their kids/grandkids could turn on them or something.�LOL

This. If FB and/or YT participated, then it'd be insane. I'd blackout my website if I happened to own/administrate one. What we are seeing is a direct human rights violation. They can't get away with it.

I wouldn't go that far, but the sopa act would in essence destroy what the Internet was intended to do, to provide quick and easy access to information.
(to say a human rights violation I mean)

Facebook and Youtube should really have participated, shame they didn't

Edited by SKwid - 18 Jan 2012 at 12:45pm

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 4:16pm
HEY MAN, I'M OUTTA YER JURISDICTION

SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Edited by SKwid - 19 Jan 2012 at 12:13pm

DefinitionOfHatred View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefinitionOfHatred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 12:23pm

That's another problem: everyone (or almost) will be affected by an American law. Confused
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 12:27pm
Seriously though, the US doesn't fucking own the internet.  If they really want to restrict content, they have to do it the China way
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 12:44pm

Seriously though, the US doesn't fucking own the internet.  If they really want to restrict content, they have to do it the China way

Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 1:52pm
If this law passes, I will rain down an ungodly fucking firestorm upon Congress' faces. 
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Doomster Doomster wrote:

If this law passes, I will rain down an ungodly fucking firestorm upon Congress' faces. 
shoot up congress? 
go for it. 

actually, please do, would solve a lot of problems Cool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic