Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The CFL 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 9:26am
What a shit play to end the game on.  Rideau should have went out of bounds, but it still baffles me that the last team to touch a football off a fumble gets possession of it.  I only remember that rule when I'm on the negative side of it. Angry

On the plus, Lemon actually had a great game.  No interceptions, and the o-line gave him plenty of space.

Edited by Stooge - 14 Aug 2011 at 9:26am
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 10:39am
Dan, our teams are both 1-6. Starting to get depressing.Ouch

The Argos/Ti-Cats was a really good game. Both Qbs executed and you're right, Lemon had a great game. Again, it was the last minute of the first half that killed Argos. Prefontaine(sp) missed a relatively short FG and the Bombers nailed a 50+ yarder. A 6 point turnaround and they lost by 5.

The Lions came out on thier first drive and shredded the Bombers D with great play calls and put up a TD. After that...it was all Bombers. Lions fumbled and bumbled about for the rest of the game. Jarius Jackson came in for Lulay and didn't do much.

The Bombers have a good team but I can't seem them knocking off the Als but it's nice to see someone other than Montreal be in first place in the east.

I'm pretty sure the rule you mentioned is different in the NFL IIRC. In the NFL I think a team has to have possession with the ball going out of bounds after a fumble or the last team to have possession of the ball, not the last team to touch the ball before going out of bounds is awarded the ball. Does that make sence? I could be wrong on that rule.

Only 3 weeks 'til the reg NFL season gets under way and then, just around the corner, hockey!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 10:49am
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

Dan, our teams are both 1-6. Starting to get depressing.Ouch

I'm pretty sure the rule you mentioned is different in the NFL IIRC. In the NFL I think a team has to have possession with the ball going out of bounds after a fumble or the last team to have possession of the ball, not the last team to touch the ball before going out of bounds is awarded the ball. Does that make sence? I could be wrong on that rule.

Only 3 weeks 'til the reg NFL season gets under way and then, just around the corner, hockey!

Yeah I thought the rule was that way in the NFL as well.  It's one of the CFL differences that I hate.  

I don't have a favorite NFL team, but I like the freedom of taking in any game I choose on a Sunday. Cool
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 10:42am
That's probably the best way to go Dan. So many ups and downs following a certain team throught out the years. At times it becomes taxing like the Canucks in the finals last year and now the Lions with thier meow and probably a talonless Seahawks team this year.

Edited by cannon - 15 Aug 2011 at 10:43am
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 12:49pm

That's probably the best way to go Dan. So many ups and downs following a certain team throught out the years. At times it becomes taxing like the Canucks in the finals last year and now the Lions with thier meow and probably a talonless Seahawks team this year.

That's what I like about the NFL as it stands now.  It's the one league I follow that I don't have anything riding on (i.e. not a supporter of any 1 team).  Things would change in the event of a Canadian NFL team, but I can live without one now.  
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 9:24pm
Toronto is looking pretty good tonight.  'bout time, I guess
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Toronto is looking pretty good tonight.  'bout time, I guess

That was a scary finish!! Angry

The defense should have conceded short passes during the fourth quarter to eat time off the clock.  Even one minute shaved off the clock prior to Saskatchewan's first TD would have made this much more comfortable than it was.  I'll take the win, but the Argos should treat the game like a loss.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 2:29am
I didn't realise there was game last night Dan. I thought it was Wednesday yesterday.LOL Just goes to show ya where I'm at.Confused
A win is a win. Rider nation will be screaming for the head of the coach now.

Just looked at the schedule and see it's a bye week for four teams. The Lions/Eskies tonight. I think it could either way. Both teams aren't playing well. The last playoff spot is still wide open between the Argos, Lions and Riders.

Dan, have you've ever been to a Argos game? Or for that matter a Jays' game?

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 9:27am

Dan, have you've ever been to a Argos game? Or for that matter a Jays' game?

I've only been to 2 Argos games, both of which were last year.  The first was a win over Calgary, and the second a loss to Saskatchewan (Dalton Bell's first career start).

I'm not sure how many Jays games I've been to, but I actually didn't see them until 2005.  Off the top of my head, I saw them play the Cardinals (I think it was Larry Walker's last series in Canada), the Mets, the White Sox, the Athletics, the Yankees, and this season vs the Red Sox (we got hammered 13-1 I believe).  I've seen 2 games where Halladay started, and they won both of those.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 4:43pm
I'd love to see Doc pitch. The guy is a master. In control.

The Skydome must be quite a place.

Ever been to a Leaf's game? Doesn't one have to be very wealthy and have the 'connections' to get tickets?

Myself. I've never been to a Lions game. For that matter, I've never been in B.C. Place. Never been down to a Seahawks game or to see a Mariner's play even though back in my 20's my girlfriend's parents lived in Seattle and we did go down there numerous times. Also, a lot my friends way back did see alot of concerts in the old Kingdome. One day I will get over to see a Lions game. One disadvantage, and the only disadvantage that I see living on Vancouver Island is the ferry. Expensive, takes about 4-5 hours out one's travel schedule and the last sailing is at 9:00pm. A big hassle.

Did see the Vancouver Whitecaps play a couple times back in the NASL days at old Empire Stadium. Did see a game in 1979, the year they won the Soccer Bowl. BTW, I see both our soccer teams aren't doing well.

Been to many Canucks games though I haven't seen a game in GM Place (Rogers Arena). I was fortunate enough to see Gretzky play a few times. Mario Lemieux once. Eric Lindros, Steve Yzerman, Patrick Roy and others. Going way back here now, our Rep team went to a game against the Blackhawks as Bobby Orr was traded to them the season before buy wasn't playing due to his knees and was in the HNIC broadcast site and we all got autographs from him between a period. Still remember that like it was yesterday. We were all thrilled. IIRC, we would of been 12 years old.

Anyways, I plan on taking in a game or two of our new junior team, the Royals.

Edited by cannon - 19 Aug 2011 at 4:44pm
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 8:23pm

Ever been to a Leaf's game? Doesn't one have to be very wealthy and have the 'connections' to get tickets?

The only Leafs game I went to was when I was 11.  Maple Leaf Gardens looked so huge to me, and the experience was overwhelming.  My dad got them for free (I think) through a friend.  You're right about connections.  I guess there's always scalpers, but I have a fear of being ripped off with forgeries or something.

The funny thing is that the ticket prices will be just as high and they'll be just as scarce once they field a competitive team.  I'm content to watch them on TV for the time being.

Anyhow, back to CFL, and a not-to-surprising move: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=374113
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 10:36pm
Stopped watching Esk's game when it hit 20-1 D:
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 4:52am
The Eskimos are decimated by injuries. Missing three recievers and I think they had seven rookies starting on D last night. It sure showed. Ray couldn't do anything. The Eskies looked like the Lions last weekend. Trice, I stopped watching it after it was 27-1. It was ugly. Geroy Simon moved into third place in all time recieving yards. I wouldn't be surprised to see him become the all time leader. Still playing great ball.

Not surprised that the coach and the OC got fired in Regina. GM Ken Miller will be coming back on the field to coach. Hope they can turn it around.

After the bye week next week the Lions/Argos will be going at it back to back. We're both on a winning streak now Dan.LOL

I know the Canuck's tickets are expensive as well. Not sure the exactly how much. Really, I don't want to know. It would probably be cheaper for me to fly down to Phoenix and catch a couple games on a Coyotes homestand. IIRC, tickets are around $22 and includes parking, a hot dog and a Coke. Pretty damn good. No wonder the Coyotes are $millions in the hole. 
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 4:49am
Hey Dan, are you and your Argos ready to be sunk to the bottom of Lake Ontario tonight?Wink
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 8:50am

Hey Dan, are you and your Argos ready to be sunk to the bottom of Lake Ontario tonight?Wink

Never!!! Tongue

These next few weeks will let us know exactly how our teams stand, and make the playoff picture a bit more clear.  That seemed like a long 2 weeks, didn't it?

cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Never!!! Tongue

These next few weeks will let us know exactly how our teams stand, and make the playoff picture a bit more clear.  That seemed like a long 2 weeks, didn't it?

Ya, you're right. Two excellent games last weekend though. A double reverse flea-flicker was completed by the Bombers against the Ti-cats as I can't remember the last time I've seen that play go for a completion.

Watch out for the Stampeders. My picks this weekend: of course the Lions over the Argos by 3. I'm taking the Riders to upset the Bombers. I think the Als will get back on the winning track against the Ti-Cats. The Stamps will shred the Eskies.

NFL starts this Thursday night. I'm also starting to get the itch for hockey...even after the long road of the playoffs.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 9:11am
I'm definitely going to have a great Sunday of NFL next week.  Plus, I'll definitely tune in to the Saints/Packers game on Thursday.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 2:37pm
LOL just reading TSN, and I was reminded the teams are owned by the same guy.  One comment called the game the Braley Bowl. LOL
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 11:06pm
It sucks to be Dalton Bell right now.  That was his chance, and the pressure got to him.  With Jyles set to come into the picture, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bell get released.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 3:56am
Dan, does Toronto have another Argonaut to sail the team over here to the westcoast for next weekend's game?Wink

I think Braley owned the Ti-Cats at one time too. He's been one of the biggest supporters of the league and the league might not be around if it wasn't for him. I've seen a couple of interviews with him over the years. A genuine, real nice guy.

I think Chad Owens was the only player that showed up for the Argos. Bell was brutal. I think you could be right with Gyles coming back. He had excellent numbers in Winnipeg last year when Buck Pierce was hurt.

Since I've removed the Lion's logo from my avatar they have won 3 of 4. I might change my Seahawks avatar now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic