Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.MetalMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2068
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 2:38am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The CFL 2011
Posted By: cannon
Subject: The CFL 2011
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 5:00pm
I know there isn't too many fans of the Canadian Football League (CFL) here, except for Stooge and maybe Trice(?). I've been a big fan for 30 years and the B.C. Lions are my team who play in Vancouver. The 2011 season kicks off tonight with the Lions playing last years Grey Cup champions, the Montreal Alouettes.

Replies:
Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 6:20pm
I watch football sometimes but don't really pay attention to the league

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 6:33pm
The Grey Cup is being held in Vancouver this year. Just think if the Lions make it and lose.LOL

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 7:06pm
Great idea for a thread, even if me and you are the only 2 who will use it. LOL

Steven Jyles was put on the 9 game disabled list.  I hope to God Cleo Lemon has improved over last year.  He looked solid in preseason, but throwing for 1/2 a game doesn't really show much.

I'm not watching the game that's on now (I'm sure you are Smile), but the Argos/Stamps game tomorrow will have my full attention.

-------------
https://armchairmaestro.com/" rel="nofollow - My Music Blog

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 11:08pm
Sorry to hear Jyles gone for 9 games. I would of started him over Lemon myself.

Lions lost 30-23. Pretty good game. The Als were way out in front at the half but in the CFL a team could be leading by 28 points only to lose.

Here's my predictions for this year:

WEST
1. Calgary
2. Sask.
3. B.C.
4. Edmonton

I think the top three teams will be all very close. The Eskimos are rebuilding and I think Ricky Ray's days are getting thin.

EAST
1. Montreal
2. Toronto
3. Hamilton
4. Winnipeg

It will be neck and neck for first place between the Argos and Als all year. The edge to Montreal with AC.

I think the Argos will beat the Als in the east final to play Calgary in the Grey Cup in Van. Lion's QB Travis Lulay is going to be a hell of a good player but it's only his second year. Next year will be the Lions.

"Smilin' Hank" Henry Burris and the Stamps will beat the Argos for the Grey Cup.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 11:14pm
I wouldn't know where to begin making predictions, but Perry Lefko, writer for Sportsnet, seems to think BC will win it all:  http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2011/06/30/lefko_fearless_forecast/" rel="nofollow - http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2011/06/30/lefko_fearless_forecast/

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 11:18pm
I think as long as Maciocia is anywhere in the esk's organization they are 4th west annually.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 11:33pm
Stooge: Lions had a great pre-season. Didn't give up a TD. Thier O-line has improved but a young QB in the CFL needs that learning curve as it in the NFL. That would be great to see the Lions win at home, but...

Trice, I think Maciocia is gone. What I remember he is coaching a HS or college team. Don't quote me on that. My memory can brutal at times.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 12:24pm
Ohey, I just checked and you were right.  I thought he was still "Director of football operations"

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 12:42am
Argos beat the Stamps 23-21.  Close, but overall a solid game.  Cleo Lemon, while not putting up big numbers, looked fairly calm and confident.  Chad Owens and Jason Pottinger left during the game due to injuries.  I think they mainly stayed out as a precaution, so hopefully they're back for next week.  For Calgary, Burris had a good running game, and Larry Taylor on special teams did significant damage.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 6:00am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Argos beat the Stamps 23-21.  Close, but overall a solid game.  Cleo Lemon, while not putting up big numbers, looked fairly calm and confident.  Chad Owens and Jason Pottinger left during the game due to injuries.  I think they mainly stayed out as a precaution, so hopefully they're back for next week.  For Calgary, Burris had a good running game, and Larry Taylor on special teams did significant damage.

Last second FG. I'm always happy to "Smilin' Hank" have a frown on his face.LOL The Argos have a great D and special teams. Like you said, Lemon looked good.

Calgary made a hell of alot changes for a team that won 13 games.(?)

The Bombers/Ti-Cats wasn't that great. Glad to see the Bombers win. Big fan of Buck Pierce. I hope he can stay healthy but that's like hoping Black Sabbath will come here to play in Victoria.LOL

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 11:29am
There's going to be a multi-part documentary that follows the Argos this year.  The first part is after tonight's Roughriders/Eskimos game (10pm).  TSN of course.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 11:38pm
That loss was disappointing.  Nothing went well with the offense, although Copeland was in on a few good gains.  Defense was solid, but Winnipeg's was certainly better.  They really zoomed in on Boyd, and their punter kept the ball away from Owens for the most part.  Only 2 games in, but Winnipeg stands atop the East.

-------------

Posted By: The Angry Scotsman
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 11:47pm
If the NFL doesn't play this season...Canadian Football all the way! 

-------------
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 10:53am
Hey Dan, I'm more disappointed than you. You guys are 1-1 as we are 0-2. Still very early especially in a 18 game schedule.

Argos/Bombers game was kind of sloppy. It was hard to watch. Great D from the Bombers. It's nice to see Winnipeg atop the east as last year they were 4-14 and lost many close games. Hoping the east will be more competitive this year and someone give Montreal a run for the money.

I fell asleep at halftime watching the Lions/Stamps game. The first half was brutal. Dropped passes, overthrown recievers, turnovers, no running game from both sides, penalties, etc. I guess the second half was a whole new ball game which is the norm in the CFL. I guess the Lions had a couple chances to win in the last few minutes. Again, questionable play calling from Jacques Chapdelain. There has been some controversy out here on some of the offensive play calling. I've never been a fan of Chapdelain as OC.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 11:18am
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

Argos/Bombers game was kind of sloppy. It was hard to watch. Great D from the Bombers. It's nice to see Winnipeg atop the east as last year they were 4-14 and lost many close games. Hoping the east will be more competitive this year and someone give Montreal a run for the money.

Yes it was certainly sloppy.  I'd forgotten that Lemon was sacked 7 times!!! I knew he had little protection, but I had to check TSN's site to learn the horrifying truth.  I can't recall him ever getting much opportunity to have room to seek out a good play.  The Bombers ripped through the line like they were paper.

I look forward to playing the Lions so could get a good discussion going, but that aint till September. Unhappy
Hopefully both our teams will have improved by then. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 11:42am
I give some slack as it's only the second game of the season with only two pre-season games for the teams. The CFL was a lot more offensive back in the '80s and '90's. I think there is two main reasons why. First, the QB talent back then was a hell of lot better than it is now and secondly, I think coaches and DC have caught up to the other side of ball by implementing schemes and packages that are more effective and basically there seems to be no running game, or a threat of a running game to keep the D on edge. Maybe this is a cyclical thing. It seems like most team sports leagues go through this over time. Certain eras, offence rules the game as others the D is prominent. I hope that makes sence as I'm having anxiety because I have to the mall shopping. I just hate it.Angry

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 2:54pm
Esks won a game! LOL

play again tonight

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 7:17am
My last post was in haste as my lady friend was nagging me and knowing what the immediate future held... the mall.Disapprove

The Eskimos look great, especially thier offence. Ricky Ray look like he's back in form. Thier running game is awesome with two Canadian backs. Jerrome Messam had a whale of a game. A big power back. The O mixed it up perfectly. The D basically shut down the Ti-cats. Glenn couldn't do anything. The Eskies are on top in west at 2-0.

I see my predictions are all but wrong so far. The two teams that I picked last in both divisions are in first place as of week 2.

I hope somebody will give Montreal a run for thier money in the east this year. I'm getting a liitle tired of them getting a free pass to the east championship game every year.

The Green Riders didn't look bad but they got beat by a better team on Saturday. Pretty good game.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 12:26pm
Yeah, watched the game last night with my grandparents and they were looking really good.  I think part of it is that their O-Line has really shaped up.  Patrick Kabongo lost 100 pounds in the off-season, apparently he can move faster than he has since high school.  He said he had to give up cookies LOL

I don't understand what happened with Saskatchewan yesterday, they looked like they were outplaying Montreal for most of the game but sort of got thrashed in the end.

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 11:41pm
Ugly 40-17 loss by the Argos.  I always go into games vs the Als not expecting a win.  This time around, we had some momentum when we brought it to within a touchdown when it was 23-17 Als, but turnovers by the offense sealed our fate.  The Als did most of their damage on gradual, short gains.  I stopped watching midway through the 4th with the score 33-17 after a costly turnover.  The Blue Jays won, so it wasn't the worst evening for a Toronto sports fan.

Calvillo got his record touchdown pass, which Jim Barker threw a challenge flag on.  He'll probably get crap for it by some CFL bloggers eventhough the ruling on the field stood, but I would have challenged the catch as well.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 8:00am

Looks like the Als are going to run away with the east again. I thought the Argos might of made a game of it when it was 23-17 but like you said the turnovers killed them. Glad to see AC get the record. Class guy and one hell of a QB. This guy doesn't show any sign of getting old.

The Stamps beat Winnipeg by one point on Thursday night. Didn't I say Buck Pierce was injury proun and it was just a matter of time. I feel sorry for the guy. He's such a competitor and a good leader. I guess he thinks he'll be ready to play next week against the Argos. The Bombers have one hell of a D.

The Lions are playing the Eskimos tonight. We need to win. We need to shut down thier running game which isn't going to be easy and for our recievers to hold on to the ball.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 1:34pm
No, we need to win LOL

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 6:43pm
Off to a good start (for the Eskimos).  Damon Duval's punts have been perfect, I wonder why Montreal ever got rid of him.  Lion's defense looking sloppy, especially on that TD Stamps just got.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 7:36pm
Damn! I thought the game started at 7pm Pacific. It must of been 7pm Eastern.Confused

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 8:05pm
I tuned in to the Sask-Ham game midway through while I was making supper.  That failed 3rd and goal was painful to watch. Ouch

For the Bombers, hopefully Pierce doesn't get too poorly banged up.  Where do they go if he goes down?  http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=371863" rel="nofollow - http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=371863

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 9:24pm
My two fav teams are both 0-3.Angry The green Riders look as bad the Lions.

The Eskimos are looking mighty fine. Eric Tillman has done another great job in such a short time. I think he's been GM for almost every team now except Montreal and Calgary. The guy gives me the creeps but he is one hell of a GM.

The poor Bombers. The last few years have been tough on them in the QB. Suppossedly Pierce says he thinks he'll be ready for next weekend(?). I think Buck would come out and play with a broken leg.

Don't get too cocky over there Trice.Wink The season is still very early. Remember last year. The Lions lossed seven straight after beating your Eskimos in the first game of the year and came back and had a great second half and should of beat the Riders in the west semi-fianl. Though I do remember the Eskies finishing strong as well.

Until next weekend gentlemen.Smile

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 10:51pm
I think Ricky Ray had about as many completed passes this game as he did for most of last season LOL

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I think Ricky Ray had about as many completed passes this game as he did for most of last season LOL

LOL  I think you're right. I thought the guy was all but washed up last year. Great comeback, so far.

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 8:58pm
I hate seeing 2 touchdown leads vanish. Angry

Kuale's senseless helmet hit on Buck Pierce is what sealed our fate.  Kuale was ejected while Pierce continued an amazing second half.  The defense was pretty much nonexistent from that point onward.

5 more games till Jyles should return/debut.  Lemon left the game early over some minor injury, and Dalton Bell played most of the game.  Lemon lead the Argos to an Alouette-esque opening drive before leaving.  I have yet to see anything that would want to see Bell start over Lemon.  His accuracy was miserable, and he didn't do much to impress me last year.  

I also caught the second half of the Ti-Cats/Lions game last night.  I thought the Ti-Cats were gonna win on a missed field goal, which is one of the dumbest ways a team can win a game.  More points were scored, but it was still all they needed.  I was too tired to remember much else from that game other than some BC turnovers.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 4:50am
It was great to see Buck keep playing after that hit. He has had  quite a few concussions in his career. You're right, he had a fantastic 2nd half. I wasn't impressed with Bell either. For that matter, I haven't been impressed with Lemon so far this year either. Sure hope Buck stays healthy. I really enjoy watching him play. The BB's are 3-1. Good to see.

I only watched the 1st half of the Calgary/Edmonton game. "Smilin Hank" hasn't had much too grin about. The Eskiomos are no fluke. They're playing great on three sides of the ball. Just goes to show that making changes at the top does work. Sometimes it's not the players.

It's getting ugly here on the west coast and I'm not talking about our summer. It's was a pretty good game and went down to the last minute. Lulay has been very inconsistent so far this year. On the other hand his recievers, Geroy Simon excluded, have been...basically useless. They're young and very little CFL experience, but man it's time to start to do something. Again our D couldn't tackle. One bright spot was that Corey Banks played like Corey Banks. Poor Wally. He's going to be getting the heat this week.

Sask/Mtl. tonight. Hopefully the Green will make a game of it. Rider pride isn't going to stand for a 0-4 start.

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 1:27pm
Winning

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 6:17am

Finally one of my teams won.Clap The Riders knocked out AC thus beating the Als. AC wasn't playing well anyway before he got injured in the 2nd quarter. Montreal is just average team without Calvillo in the line-up. Smash-mouth football. These two teams don't like each other and it showed on the field.

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 9:08am
Now there's more pressure on the Argos to start winning.  It looks to be a tough task this week going into Edmonton, but this league is hard to predict.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 4:40am
O'fer.LOL

I think the Lions are going for the perfect season. 0-18. I think I'm going to change my avatar. "I ain't superstitous but a black cat crossed my trail."

The Lions D played well but the Bomber's D played better. Travis Lulay again over threw open recievers, most notably in the last minutes of the game. I think he's still going to be a very good QB in this league but this is all part of the development. I think the team has to stick with him.

Buck Pierce is a warrior but he's got to change his mentality. He's got to learn to know when to go down and not take a hit. Last night he took on Solomon Elimimiam head on. He did get back up but left suppossedly due to another hit. Alex Brink did a good job replacing him.

The Lions didn't play bad and were in it pretty much to the end, again.

The Argos will melt the Eskimos and the Ti-cats are going to scratch a win over the Als tonight, double header Friday night.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 10:13am
I hope you're right about the Argos, Phil.  We're going with Dalton Bell over Lemon, but since I have little confidence in either of them at this point, what's the difference? LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 11:32am

Winning

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 12:18pm

I hope you're right about the Argos, Phil.  We're going with Dalton Bell over Lemon, but since I have little confidence in either of them at this point, what's the difference? LOL

I have more confidence in Lemon than I do Bell. Lemon will come in the second half and put it together and drive the team to a last minute field goal to win it by 1. Then Trice can longer post "winning".Wink

I see Chad Ochocinco got traded to the Patriots. Belichick won't tolerate any foolishness. If Ochocinco decides to keep his mouth shut and play football I think he will do very well. He's only got the best QB throwing him the ball.

Being from the Pacific Northwest and Seattle not too far away I'm a Seahawk's fan. With QB Matt Hasselback now a Tennessee Titan, Charlie Whitehurst will be the starting QB. Tavares Jackson, who they got from the Vikings will be right up there for the starting job. I was hoping the 'Hawks would of got Kevin Kolb from the Eagles but he signed with the Cardinals.

It was good to see the players/owners work it out. I didn't think the season would be cancelled. Way too much money involved.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 12:53pm

I have more confidence in Lemon than I do Bell. Lemon will come in the second half and put it together and drive the team to a last minute field goal to win it by 1. Then Trice can longer post "winning".Wink

I see Chad Ochocinco got traded to the Patriots. Belichick won't tolerate any foolishness. If Ochocinco decides to keep his mouth shut and play football I think he will do very well. He's only got the best QB throwing him the ball.

Being from the Pacific Northwest and Seattle not too far away I'm a Seahawk's fan. With QB Matt Hasselback now a Tennessee Titan, Charlie Whitehurst will be the starting QB. Tavares Jackson, who they got from the Vikings will be right up there for the starting job. I was hoping the 'Hawks would of got Kevin Kolb from the Eagles but he signed with the Cardinals.

It was good to see the players/owners work it out. I didn't think the season would be cancelled. Way too much money involved.

Never heard of Whitehurst.  Is he a rookie or a vet backup?  Granted, I love NFL football, but have never really followed 1 team for too long.

I'm glad the lockout ended too.  I have a feeling that the NBA lockout will last longer.  I don't think it would make much of a difference if the Raptors played or not next year.  The players can still work on strength and conditioning, plus their draft pick will be in Europe for a year.  Anyway, back to football...

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 12:54pm
Did you guys hear that Fred Stamps claims he's the best receiver in the league?  At least stats back that up this season, unlike last year when he dropped everything.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 6:51pm

Did you guys hear that Fred Stamps claims he's the best receiver in the league?  At least stats back that up this season, unlike last year when he dropped everything.

I just checked his stats Trice. He can back it up with his numbers. Wasn't he hurt for awhile last year and/or played injured? Amazing what a new season can do for a player. BTW, just to remind you again, your 'smos are going to melt tonight. LOL Just givin' ya bad time there buddy.Wink

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 7:14pm

Never heard of Whitehurst.  Is he a rookie or a vet backup?  Granted, I love NFL football, but have never really followed 1 team for too long.

I'm glad the lockout ended too.  I have a feeling that the NBA lockout will last longer.  I don't think it would make much of a difference if the Raptors played or not next year.  The players can still work on strength and conditioning, plus their draft pick will be in Europe for a year.  Anyway, back to football...

Just going off the top of my head Dan, I think he's been with the 'Hawks for 3 years as he was with, I think the Cardinals before that. He hasn't played much over his career and when I have seen him play he didn't too bad. I don't think he's a starter though. Tavares Jackson didn't get much time in Minnesota behind Brett Farve and I see him becoming the starter eventually. I think the Rams will win the NFC west this year as QB Sam Bradford will take off.

I agree with ya. I think there will be no NBA this season. I did some research on the league's $ numbers last winter and from what I saw they're in pretty bad shape. However, numbers can be manipulated depending from which side one is coming from.

BTW, 17-13 for the Cat's over the Als at the half.Cool

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 10:07pm
Game was looking pretty bad for a while here, but now it's 17-15 at the half.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 11:48pm
Where did that post go?

Winning

Smile

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 11:52pm
Ugh!! Angry

I don't know what gave Jim Barker confidence in Grant Shaw's leg from that distance.  His 2 bungled punts put the Esks in good field position, which eventually led to touchdowns.  Kackert had a great game, but needs to get a grip on the football.  The turnovers by the offense, as usual, puts the D in a rough spot. The defense was huge, and the end of the second quarter was deflating.   Yes there should have been time on the clock, but why the hell did the official signal halftime prematurely?

I'm assuming the Argos are 1-5.  I'd be shocked if the Als lose a third in a row no matter who they line up against.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 12:02am
I was embarrassed to watch most of that game, honestly.  The esk's defense was AWFUL, I was cringing every time they missed a tackle.

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 4:42am
This time expiration is killing me.Angry What are we, "Back in the USSR."

Both darn good games I thought.

I can't imagine sitting in 40C heat, yet play football. Kevin Glenn looked like his MVP year with the Bombers a few years back. The Hamilton crowd was great. Nice to see the Als lose two straight. Like you said Dan, it's hard to see this team lose three in row.

I can understand your frustration. WTF was Jim Barker thinking? I couldn't believe it when the field goal team came on the field. Especially after Shaw shanking those two punts as his confidence must of been waning. I would of kept in Bell's hands.

The punting team just killed the Argos. Those two shanked punts, one for a net of a 12 yards and then they take a time count violation for 10 yards. All three times it gave the Esks great field position and like you said they scored 14 points.

I thought Dalton Bell played a great game considering it was only his third start. He sure had help with Kackert. Where did this guy come from? Deceptive speed and an overdrive gear as well. Both teams have excellent RBs. What's going to happen when Chad Owens comes back? Now that's a backfield.

Have to agree with ya Trice. The Esks looked brutal, especially in the first half. The Argos gave them momentum in the last minute of the first half. Good teams know how to win ugly. The Esks are 5-0, first time since 1980, back in the dynasty years when the team won 5 straight Grey Cups. I remember the team well. I hated them as they beat the Lions all the time.

The Riders and Stamps this evening. I'm picking the Green to squeak out a victory at home. 33-31.

My avatar curse is now on the Seahawks.Wink

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 1:12pm
I'm leaving to go camping today, gonna miss that game.  I'd definitely rather the Riders win.  They are who we were cheering for at home during the last two seasons.

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 12:56pm
Can't say I'm surprised by last night's result.  At least the Al's defense let Lemon pad his stats in the final minute. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 1:42pm
Esk's are going to have a tough one this weekend.

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 4:26pm

Can't say I'm surprised by last night's result.  At least the Al's defense let Lemon pad his stats in the final minute. LOL

I watched the game until the end of the 3rd quarter Dan. Again, like last weekend, a mistake in last seconds of the first half seemed to take the air out of the Argos. The Argos were driving. It was 20-13 for the Als and the ball got handed off to Kackert and he didn't run out of bounds in enough time and the clock ran out and they were in plenty of range of a FG. It was all Als in the 3rd qtr. and it was all but over.

I missed the first couple of minutes of the game and said myself, "How come Dalton Bell is starting?" Did you hear anything for the reasons why Dan?

AC passed Damon Allen's completion record. Quite a feat.Clap

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 4:41pm

Esk's are going to have a tough one this weekend.

Should be a good game Trice. A good offence against a great defence. Didn't I pick these two teams to finish last in their divisions. Here I was thinking that was an expert.LOL

Lions and Riders are second on the bill in tonight's double header. My two fav teams at a combined 1-9. What a joke.

The Lions picked up Arland Bruce III from the Ti-Cats this week. The Ochocinco of the CFL. He won't be playing until next weekend. I'm hoping for the Lions but won't be disappointed if they lose as one of my teams will get a win.Smile

The Esks over the Bombers as Buck Pierce will again get hurt. Pretty hard not to predict that.

Lions will be 0-6.

Taking the Ti-Cats over Stamps tomorrow.

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 5:46pm
If Pierce get hurt yeah I'd say the game is a given, but if he stays all match it's hard to say

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 8:06pm

I missed the first couple of minutes of the game and said myself, "How come Dalton Bell is starting?" Did you hear anything for the reasons why Dan?

You mean why did Lemon start over Bell? I don't know.  The lesser of 2 evils I guess.

Bell started last week because Lemon was suffering some nerve damage in his mouth after getting hit when diving head first for extra yards.  That's just one possible reason, but I really don't know how that particular injury would affect his playing.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 5:10am

You mean why did Lemon start over Bell? I don't know.  The lesser of 2 evils I guess.

Bell started last week because Lemon was suffering some nerve damage in his mouth after getting hit when diving head first for extra yards.  That's just one possible reason, but I really don't know how that particular injury would affect his playing.

Ya, that's what I meant. I forgot to put "not" in my sentence.Geek

I heard during the Bombers/Eskies game that he had dental surgery as one of the Bombers smashed his mouth.

Talking about the Bomber/Eskies. Great game! The best of the season. Well executed and balanced offence from both sides. Some great catches. Buck had a wail of a game. Trice nailed 'er in his earlier post. One hell of a run for a TD by Buck. 48 yards. There was no denying him the end zone. One thing I couldn't believe and never seen before was that Pierce actually did a hook slide instead of taking the D straight on. The crowd applauded, but not for his run, but for his slide. I actually laughed.

Ray got picked three times but he had alot of heat on him most of the game and actually did very well in eluding the rush and running the ball.

The Als, Bombers and Eskimos do look like the top 3 teams of the league so far. The Bombers and Als don't play until the end of September.

LIONS WIN! A good game but no comparison to the first game. The Riders looked uninterested, no enthusiam, no sence of urgency. It looks like they're still deflated after thier second straight loss in the Grey Cup. Lackluster would be the word.

BTW, how does it feel to lose Trice?LOL

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 2:23pm
More turnovers that game than the rest of the season so far LOL

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 5:36am
The Eskies looked like they did during the first half of last year last night. Ray got pummeled. Jerome Messam ran for a whopping -3 yards. The Als are all but unbeatable at home. That's two in a row Trice. What's going on in the City Of Champions?

Calgary over the Riders tonight. The Stamps are rollin'.

Toronto just gets by the T-Cats by 3. Dalton Bell starts(?).

Going out on a whim here and the Lions will beat the Bombers in the last minute at home.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 12:13pm
I dunno what's going on.  I didn't watch that game, that's probably why they lost.  We went out to the lake to test our boat after getting it back from the shop; seems to work now.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 5:05pm
Good to hear about your motor.Cool

Get in much as you can while the going is hot. Guess who's just around the corner?

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 5:17pm
Might be out again next weekend

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 9:26am
What a shit play to end the game on.  Rideau should have went out of bounds, but it still baffles me that the last team to touch a football off a fumble gets possession of it.  I only remember that rule when I'm on the negative side of it. Angry

On the plus, Lemon actually had a great game.  No interceptions, and the o-line gave him plenty of space.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 10:39am
Dan, our teams are both 1-6. Starting to get depressing.Ouch

The Argos/Ti-Cats was a really good game. Both Qbs executed and you're right, Lemon had a great game. Again, it was the last minute of the first half that killed Argos. Prefontaine(sp) missed a relatively short FG and the Bombers nailed a 50+ yarder. A 6 point turnaround and they lost by 5.

The Lions came out on thier first drive and shredded the Bombers D with great play calls and put up a TD. After that...it was all Bombers. Lions fumbled and bumbled about for the rest of the game. Jarius Jackson came in for Lulay and didn't do much.

The Bombers have a good team but I can't seem them knocking off the Als but it's nice to see someone other than Montreal be in first place in the east.

I'm pretty sure the rule you mentioned is different in the NFL IIRC. In the NFL I think a team has to have possession with the ball going out of bounds after a fumble or the last team to have possession of the ball, not the last team to touch the ball before going out of bounds is awarded the ball. Does that make sence? I could be wrong on that rule.

Only 3 weeks 'til the reg NFL season gets under way and then, just around the corner, hockey!

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 10:49am

Dan, our teams are both 1-6. Starting to get depressing.Ouch

I'm pretty sure the rule you mentioned is different in the NFL IIRC. In the NFL I think a team has to have possession with the ball going out of bounds after a fumble or the last team to have possession of the ball, not the last team to touch the ball before going out of bounds is awarded the ball. Does that make sence? I could be wrong on that rule.

Only 3 weeks 'til the reg NFL season gets under way and then, just around the corner, hockey!

Yeah I thought the rule was that way in the NFL as well.  It's one of the CFL differences that I hate.  

I don't have a favorite NFL team, but I like the freedom of taking in any game I choose on a Sunday. Cool

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 10:42am
That's probably the best way to go Dan. So many ups and downs following a certain team throught out the years. At times it becomes taxing like the Canucks in the finals last year and now the Lions with thier meow and probably a talonless Seahawks team this year.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 12:49pm

That's probably the best way to go Dan. So many ups and downs following a certain team throught out the years. At times it becomes taxing like the Canucks in the finals last year and now the Lions with thier meow and probably a talonless Seahawks team this year.

That's what I like about the NFL as it stands now.  It's the one league I follow that I don't have anything riding on (i.e. not a supporter of any 1 team).  Things would change in the event of a Canadian NFL team, but I can live without one now.  

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 9:24pm
Toronto is looking pretty good tonight.  'bout time, I guess

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 11:40pm

Toronto is looking pretty good tonight.  'bout time, I guess

That was a scary finish!! Angry

The defense should have conceded short passes during the fourth quarter to eat time off the clock.  Even one minute shaved off the clock prior to Saskatchewan's first TD would have made this much more comfortable than it was.  I'll take the win, but the Argos should treat the game like a loss.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 2:29am
I didn't realise there was game last night Dan. I thought it was Wednesday yesterday.LOL Just goes to show ya where I'm at.Confused
A win is a win. Rider nation will be screaming for the head of the coach now.

Just looked at the schedule and see it's a bye week for four teams. The Lions/Eskies tonight. I think it could either way. Both teams aren't playing well. The last playoff spot is still wide open between the Argos, Lions and Riders.

Dan, have you've ever been to a Argos game? Or for that matter a Jays' game?

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 9:27am

Dan, have you've ever been to a Argos game? Or for that matter a Jays' game?

I've only been to 2 Argos games, both of which were last year.  The first was a win over Calgary, and the second a loss to Saskatchewan (Dalton Bell's first career start).

I'm not sure how many Jays games I've been to, but I actually didn't see them until 2005.  Off the top of my head, I saw them play the Cardinals (I think it was Larry Walker's last series in Canada), the Mets, the White Sox, the Athletics, the Yankees, and this season vs the Red Sox (we got hammered 13-1 I believe).  I've seen 2 games where Halladay started, and they won both of those.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 4:43pm
I'd love to see Doc pitch. The guy is a master. In control.

The Skydome must be quite a place.

Ever been to a Leaf's game? Doesn't one have to be very wealthy and have the 'connections' to get tickets?

Myself. I've never been to a Lions game. For that matter, I've never been in B.C. Place. Never been down to a Seahawks game or to see a Mariner's play even though back in my 20's my girlfriend's parents lived in Seattle and we did go down there numerous times. Also, a lot my friends way back did see alot of concerts in the old Kingdome. One day I will get over to see a Lions game. One disadvantage, and the only disadvantage that I see living on Vancouver Island is the ferry. Expensive, takes about 4-5 hours out one's travel schedule and the last sailing is at 9:00pm. A big hassle.

Did see the Vancouver Whitecaps play a couple times back in the NASL days at old Empire Stadium. Did see a game in 1979, the year they won the Soccer Bowl. BTW, I see both our soccer teams aren't doing well.

Been to many Canucks games though I haven't seen a game in GM Place (Rogers Arena). I was fortunate enough to see Gretzky play a few times. Mario Lemieux once. Eric Lindros, Steve Yzerman, Patrick Roy and others. Going way back here now, our Rep team went to a game against the Blackhawks as Bobby Orr was traded to them the season before buy wasn't playing due to his knees and was in the HNIC broadcast site and we all got autographs from him between a period. Still remember that like it was yesterday. We were all thrilled. IIRC, we would of been 12 years old.

Anyways, I plan on taking in a game or two of our new junior team, the Royals.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 8:23pm

Ever been to a Leaf's game? Doesn't one have to be very wealthy and have the 'connections' to get tickets?

The only Leafs game I went to was when I was 11.  Maple Leaf Gardens looked so huge to me, and the experience was overwhelming.  My dad got them for free (I think) through a friend.  You're right about connections.  I guess there's always scalpers, but I have a fear of being ripped off with forgeries or something.

The funny thing is that the ticket prices will be just as high and they'll be just as scarce once they field a competitive team.  I'm content to watch them on TV for the time being.

Anyhow, back to CFL, and a not-to-surprising move:  http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=374113" rel="nofollow - http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=374113

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 10:36pm
Stopped watching Esk's game when it hit 20-1 D:

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 4:52am
The Eskimos are decimated by injuries. Missing three recievers and I think they had seven rookies starting on D last night. It sure showed. Ray couldn't do anything. The Eskies looked like the Lions last weekend. Trice, I stopped watching it after it was 27-1. It was ugly. Geroy Simon moved into third place in all time recieving yards. I wouldn't be surprised to see him become the all time leader. Still playing great ball.

Not surprised that the coach and the OC got fired in Regina. GM Ken Miller will be coming back on the field to coach. Hope they can turn it around.

After the bye week next week the Lions/Argos will be going at it back to back. We're both on a winning streak now Dan.LOL

I know the Canuck's tickets are expensive as well. Not sure the exactly how much. Really, I don't want to know. It would probably be cheaper for me to fly down to Phoenix and catch a couple games on a Coyotes homestand. IIRC, tickets are around $22 and includes parking, a hot dog and a Coke. Pretty damn good. No wonder the Coyotes are $millions in the hole. 

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 4:49am
Hey Dan, are you and your Argos ready to be sunk to the bottom of Lake Ontario tonight?Wink

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 8:50am

Hey Dan, are you and your Argos ready to be sunk to the bottom of Lake Ontario tonight?Wink

Never!!! Tongue

These next few weeks will let us know exactly how our teams stand, and make the playoff picture a bit more clear.  That seemed like a long 2 weeks, didn't it?

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 9:05am

Never!!! Tongue

These next few weeks will let us know exactly how our teams stand, and make the playoff picture a bit more clear.  That seemed like a long 2 weeks, didn't it?

Ya, you're right. Two excellent games last weekend though. A double reverse flea-flicker was completed by the Bombers against the Ti-cats as I can't remember the last time I've seen that play go for a completion.

Watch out for the Stampeders. My picks this weekend: of course the Lions over the Argos by 3. I'm taking the Riders to upset the Bombers. I think the Als will get back on the winning track against the Ti-Cats. The Stamps will shred the Eskies.

NFL starts this Thursday night. I'm also starting to get the itch for hockey...even after the long road of the playoffs.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 9:11am
I'm definitely going to have a great Sunday of NFL next week.  Plus, I'll definitely tune in to the Saints/Packers game on Thursday.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 2:37pm
LOL just reading TSN, and I was reminded the teams are owned by the same guy.  One comment called the game the Braley Bowl. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 11:06pm
It sucks to be Dalton Bell right now.  That was his chance, and the pressure got to him.  With Jyles set to come into the picture, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bell get released.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 3:56am
Dan, does Toronto have another Argonaut to sail the team over here to the westcoast for next weekend's game?Wink

I think Braley owned the Ti-Cats at one time too. He's been one of the biggest supporters of the league and the league might not be around if it wasn't for him. I've seen a couple of interviews with him over the years. A genuine, real nice guy.

I think Chad Owens was the only player that showed up for the Argos. Bell was brutal. I think you could be right with Gyles coming back. He had excellent numbers in Winnipeg last year when Buck Pierce was hurt.

Since I've removed the Lion's logo from my avatar they have won 3 of 4. I might change my Seahawks avatar now.

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 9:54am

Dan, does Toronto have another Argonaut to sail the team over here to the westcoast for next weekend's game?Wink

I think Braley owned the Ti-Cats at one time too. He's been one of the biggest supporters of the league and the league might not be around if it wasn't for him. I've seen a couple of interviews with him over the years. A genuine, real nice guy.

I think Chad Owens was the only player that showed up for the Argos. Bell was brutal. I think you could be right with Gyles coming back. He had excellent numbers in Winnipeg last year when Buck Pierce was hurt.

Since I've removed the Lion's logo from my avatar they have won 3 of 4. I might change my Seahawks avatar now.

You could always change your avatar back to the Lions for next week. Wink

Owens actually set a single game Argos record for kick return yards in a game.  I thought he might have had a better game in that regard last season.  http://argonauts.ca/article/adding-to-the-record-books" rel="nofollow - http://argonauts.ca/article/adding-to-the-record-books

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 10:05am

You could always change your avatar back to the Lions for next week. Wink

Owens actually set a single game Argos record for kick return yards in a game.  I thought he might have had a better game in that regard last season.  http://argonauts.ca/article/adding-to-the-record-books" rel="nofollow - http://argonauts.ca/article/adding-to-the-record-books

LOL No deal.

He was the only guy that had any emotion on the Argos. BTW, I'm changing my avatar right now.Approve

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 12:42pm
Shit, this actually shocked me!  Argos release Lemon:  http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=375236" rel="nofollow - http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=375236

Was he one of our highest paid players and this was to save money?  Did he want out if he was going to be backup?  Was he upset about being pulled the last game?  I'll definitely be staying tuned.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 3:01am

Shit, this actually shocked me!  Argos release Lemon:  http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=375236" rel="nofollow - http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=375236

Was he one of our highest paid players and this was to save money?  Did he want out if he was going to be backup?  Was he upset about being pulled the last game?  I'll definitely be staying tuned.

Holy smokes Dan. That is a shocker. Like you said earlier, you thought Bell would of been let go. No question he was upset last weekend about being pulled. Didn't look good on camera with him pouting on the sidelines. Gotta question some of Jim Barker's calls this year. I'm wondering if Gyles will get the start this weekend against the Lions? It will be interesting if another team will pick up Lemon. Probably not with that big salary.

Some big upsets last weekend. All four games weren't too good. All blow outs. Nice to see a race in the east for a change, since...the early 2000's(?).

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 8:24am
Yeah from the sound of it, it had more to do with Lemon's attitude than performance.  Based on the timing of his cut, maybe Lemon could get onto an NFL practice roster.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 10:24am
Dan, are ready for this afternoon?:

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 10:36am
I'll tell you where you can stick your can of Whoop Ass. Evil Smile

I'm assuming Jyles is going to start, and I'm not expecting any miracles.  I haven't totally ruled out the playoffs, but I'm just using the remaining games to get comfortable with how our offense may look next season.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 11:02am
Just joking Dan.Wink

All I hope is that it is better game than last weekend. I couldn't take any more of the game last night as I shut it off at halftime. Just brutal football. I did see that Calgary won.

I would think that Jyles would start. I can't see Bell going in there after his performance last weekend.

BTW, just a great game Thursday night. GB looks like they might take it again ...if Rodgers can stay healthy.

My pick for the Superbowl > NY Jets. Not a big fan of the team but I think it's thier year

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 11:14am
That Saints/Packers game was very entertaining.  High scoring, some great kick returns, and it came down to the final drive.

I have no idea who will win the Super Bowl.  Total guess would be Eagles with a huge redemption story for Vick.  Lots of predictions I've seen seem to like the Chargers.  It's like with in hockey, people often seem to choose the Sharks, assuming they'll eventually get over the hump.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 11:43am
I'll be on the couch all day tomorrow.Sleepy

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 11:49am

I'll be on the couch all day tomorrow.Sleepy

Same here. Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 7:21pm
Fierce D by BC, and rust that seemed to gradually wear off Jyles.  Not much to be happy about considering no TDs were scored by the Argos, but I expected this type of game.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 8:17pm
The Lions D has been stellar. The O looked pretty good. The Lions really don't have a good running game yet. That will eventually come and bite them in the azz, but then again maybe not if the D keeps playing like they have.

Gyles improved with every series. He sure looked good in the 2nd half. I'd even say it was the best performance by an Argo QB this year going by his 2nd half play. I saw alot a good things with the O in the 2nd half. You have to be optimestic now Dan. I'm surprised again that the Argos don't use Cory Boyd and Chad Owens more. Every time those guys touch the ball they're a threat. Get them the ball!

Seahawks/49ers. It's so wide open in the NFC west. Any of the teams could win it this year. Steelers/Ravens is always a bruiser. I hope it's broadcasted here. Jets/Cowboys is another game I'd like to see. I hate those 'Boys. Tony "Oromeo" and 'America's team. I've hated that team since the Roger Staubach days. I put them in that bracket with the NY Yankees and Montreal Canadiens and even the L.A. Lakers. Either you love 'em of hate 'em. I hate 'em. Well not so much the Canadiens now but back in the 70's through to 2000. Especially that 70's team.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 8:28pm
Yes, Phil, I'm definitely being optimistic about this whole thing.  I'm assuming no playoffs (especially if we lose next week), I just want to see reasons to be optimistic.

I think Barker will step down as coach after this season and stick to his GM role.  I'd also imagine we will be looking for more effective targets for Jyles to throw to, and try to get 1 established receiver threat.  The D would also play with more confidence if the offense wasn't in shambles.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 8:43pm
I have to say, being an armchair coach here, that Jim Barker has made some very questionable calls this year in which most haven't worked out. There's still a chance yet the the Argos will make the playoffs. Look at the Lions last year. Brutal first half and came on strong in the second. Almost the same story this year. Anything happen, especially in the CFL.

A couple of games tomorrow along with NFL. It will be hard day's work operating that remote.LOL

Bombers/Riders. I'm taking the Riders for the second week in a row.

Als/Ti-Cats. Als at home.

Seahawks/49ers. No idea(?).

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 9:42am
Oh of course the Riders had to win.  If the Argos lose to them next week, that's a pretty big hole to climb out of.  Maybe Fantuz returning will spark them to improve?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 10:03am
I watched six games yesterday. Ridiculous really. Hamilton looked brutal. Still lots of time Dan. Bombers/Ti-Cats could go on a slide and the Argos go on a winning streak. I have seen it many times in the CFL.

Seahawks looked dismal in the first half but Tavares Jackson came on in the second half. The score really doesn't reflect the game.

Steelers/Ravens was a bruiser. Fights and squirmishes every fourth play it seemed. These guys hate each other. Big Ben and the Steelers got a lickin'.Smile

And the 'Boys chocked again. Tony Romeo doesn't have it to get it done. The Jets blocked a punt in the 4th qtr. and a scored a TD. Put it away with a FG. Gotta like it.Big smile

Two more games tonight. Lookin' forward to see the Pats/Dolphins game. I think after that game I'll have had enough football for a few days.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 10:16am
That Jets/Cowboys game was AMAZING!  The announcers pointed out that it was Dallas' first loss after having a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter ever.  They had like 250-ish wins and 1 tie before that game.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 10:30am
^^^Jerry Jones won't like that. Tony Romo it seems to me can't get 'er done. Throws an interception/bad pass at crucial times. Can't seem to put a team away. That Jet's D is amazing. They on the other hand seem to get it done when Sanchez isn't playing well.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 10:57am

^^^Jerry Jones won't like that. Tony Romo it seems to me can't get 'er done. Throws an interception/bad pass at crucial times. Can't seem to put a team away. That Jet's D is amazing. They on the other hand seem to get it done when Sanchez isn't playing well.

I love seeing teams that have great defensive backs.  I love a good sack, but nothing gets me off my seat quite like an interception.  Granted, Revis had one gift-wrapped. LOL

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk