Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The CFL 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 11:41pm
Ugly 40-17 loss by the Argos.  I always go into games vs the Als not expecting a win.  This time around, we had some momentum when we brought it to within a touchdown when it was 23-17 Als, but turnovers by the offense sealed our fate.  The Als did most of their damage on gradual, short gains.  I stopped watching midway through the 4th with the score 33-17 after a costly turnover.  The Blue Jays won, so it wasn't the worst evening for a Toronto sports fan.

Calvillo got his record touchdown pass, which Jim Barker threw a challenge flag on.  He'll probably get crap for it by some CFL bloggers eventhough the ruling on the field stood, but I would have challenged the catch as well.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 8:00am

Looks like the Als are going to run away with the east again. I thought the Argos might of made a game of it when it was 23-17 but like you said the turnovers killed them. Glad to see AC get the record. Class guy and one hell of a QB. This guy doesn't show any sign of getting old.

The Stamps beat Winnipeg by one point on Thursday night. Didn't I say Buck Pierce was injury proun and it was just a matter of time. I feel sorry for the guy. He's such a competitor and a good leader. I guess he thinks he'll be ready to play next week against the Argos. The Bombers have one hell of a D.

The Lions are playing the Eskimos tonight. We need to win. We need to shut down thier running game which isn't going to be easy and for our recievers to hold on to the ball.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 1:34pm
No, we need to win LOL
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 6:43pm
Off to a good start (for the Eskimos).  Damon Duval's punts have been perfect, I wonder why Montreal ever got rid of him.  Lion's defense looking sloppy, especially on that TD Stamps just got.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 7:36pm
Damn! I thought the game started at 7pm Pacific. It must of been 7pm Eastern.Confused
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 8:05pm
I tuned in to the Sask-Ham game midway through while I was making supper.  That failed 3rd and goal was painful to watch. Ouch

For the Bombers, hopefully Pierce doesn't get too poorly banged up.  Where do they go if he goes down? http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=371863
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 9:24pm
My two fav teams are both 0-3.Angry The green Riders look as bad the Lions.

The Eskimos are looking mighty fine. Eric Tillman has done another great job in such a short time. I think he's been GM for almost every team now except Montreal and Calgary. The guy gives me the creeps but he is one hell of a GM.

The poor Bombers. The last few years have been tough on them in the QB. Suppossedly Pierce says he thinks he'll be ready for next weekend(?). I think Buck would come out and play with a broken leg.

Don't get too cocky over there Trice.Wink The season is still very early. Remember last year. The Lions lossed seven straight after beating your Eskimos in the first game of the year and came back and had a great second half and should of beat the Riders in the west semi-fianl. Though I do remember the Eskies finishing strong as well.

Until next weekend gentlemen.Smile
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 10:51pm
I think Ricky Ray had about as many completed passes this game as he did for most of last season LOL
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I think Ricky Ray had about as many completed passes this game as he did for most of last season LOL

LOL  I think you're right. I thought the guy was all but washed up last year. Great comeback, so far.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 8:58pm
I hate seeing 2 touchdown leads vanish. Angry

Kuale's senseless helmet hit on Buck Pierce is what sealed our fate.  Kuale was ejected while Pierce continued an amazing second half.  The defense was pretty much nonexistent from that point onward.

5 more games till Jyles should return/debut.  Lemon left the game early over some minor injury, and Dalton Bell played most of the game.  Lemon lead the Argos to an Alouette-esque opening drive before leaving.  I have yet to see anything that would want to see Bell start over Lemon.  His accuracy was miserable, and he didn't do much to impress me last year.  

I also caught the second half of the Ti-Cats/Lions game last night.  I thought the Ti-Cats were gonna win on a missed field goal, which is one of the dumbest ways a team can win a game.  More points were scored, but it was still all they needed.  I was too tired to remember much else from that game other than some BC turnovers.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 4:50am
It was great to see Buck keep playing after that hit. He has had  quite a few concussions in his career. You're right, he had a fantastic 2nd half. I wasn't impressed with Bell either. For that matter, I haven't been impressed with Lemon so far this year either. Sure hope Buck stays healthy. I really enjoy watching him play. The BB's are 3-1. Good to see.

I only watched the 1st half of the Calgary/Edmonton game. "Smilin Hank" hasn't had much too grin about. The Eskiomos are no fluke. They're playing great on three sides of the ball. Just goes to show that making changes at the top does work. Sometimes it's not the players.

It's getting ugly here on the west coast and I'm not talking about our summer. It's was a pretty good game and went down to the last minute. Lulay has been very inconsistent so far this year. On the other hand his recievers, Geroy Simon excluded, have been...basically useless. They're young and very little CFL experience, but man it's time to start to do something. Again our D couldn't tackle. One bright spot was that Corey Banks played like Corey Banks. Poor Wally. He's going to be getting the heat this week.

Sask/Mtl. tonight. Hopefully the Green will make a game of it. Rider pride isn't going to stand for a 0-4 start.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 1:27pm
Winning
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 6:17am

Finally one of my teams won.Clap The Riders knocked out AC thus beating the Als. AC wasn't playing well anyway before he got injured in the 2nd quarter. Montreal is just average team without Calvillo in the line-up. Smash-mouth football. These two teams don't like each other and it showed on the field.

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 9:08am
Now there's more pressure on the Argos to start winning.  It looks to be a tough task this week going into Edmonton, but this league is hard to predict.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 4:40am
O'fer.LOL

I think the Lions are going for the perfect season. 0-18. I think I'm going to change my avatar. "I ain't superstitous but a black cat crossed my trail."

The Lions D played well but the Bomber's D played better. Travis Lulay again over threw open recievers, most notably in the last minutes of the game. I think he's still going to be a very good QB in this league but this is all part of the development. I think the team has to stick with him.

Buck Pierce is a warrior but he's got to change his mentality. He's got to learn to know when to go down and not take a hit. Last night he took on Solomon Elimimiam head on. He did get back up but left suppossedly due to another hit. Alex Brink did a good job replacing him.

The Lions didn't play bad and were in it pretty much to the end, again.

The Argos will melt the Eskimos and the Ti-cats are going to scratch a win over the Als tonight, double header Friday night.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 10:13am
I hope you're right about the Argos, Phil.  We're going with Dalton Bell over Lemon, but since I have little confidence in either of them at this point, what's the difference? LOL
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Winning
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I hope you're right about the Argos, Phil.  We're going with Dalton Bell over Lemon, but since I have little confidence in either of them at this point, what's the difference? LOL

I have more confidence in Lemon than I do Bell. Lemon will come in the second half and put it together and drive the team to a last minute field goal to win it by 1. Then Trice can longer post "winning".Wink

I see Chad Ochocinco got traded to the Patriots. Belichick won't tolerate any foolishness. If Ochocinco decides to keep his mouth shut and play football I think he will do very well. He's only got the best QB throwing him the ball.

Being from the Pacific Northwest and Seattle not too far away I'm a Seahawk's fan. With QB Matt Hasselback now a Tennessee Titan, Charlie Whitehurst will be the starting QB. Tavares Jackson, who they got from the Vikings will be right up there for the starting job. I was hoping the 'Hawks would of got Kevin Kolb from the Eagles but he signed with the Cardinals.

It was good to see the players/owners work it out. I didn't think the season would be cancelled. Way too much money involved.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I have more confidence in Lemon than I do Bell. Lemon will come in the second half and put it together and drive the team to a last minute field goal to win it by 1. Then Trice can longer post "winning".Wink

I see Chad Ochocinco got traded to the Patriots. Belichick won't tolerate any foolishness. If Ochocinco decides to keep his mouth shut and play football I think he will do very well. He's only got the best QB throwing him the ball.

Being from the Pacific Northwest and Seattle not too far away I'm a Seahawk's fan. With QB Matt Hasselback now a Tennessee Titan, Charlie Whitehurst will be the starting QB. Tavares Jackson, who they got from the Vikings will be right up there for the starting job. I was hoping the 'Hawks would of got Kevin Kolb from the Eagles but he signed with the Cardinals.

It was good to see the players/owners work it out. I didn't think the season would be cancelled. Way too much money involved.

Never heard of Whitehurst.  Is he a rookie or a vet backup?  Granted, I love NFL football, but have never really followed 1 team for too long.

I'm glad the lockout ended too.  I have a feeling that the NBA lockout will last longer.  I don't think it would make much of a difference if the Raptors played or not next year.  The players can still work on strength and conditioning, plus their draft pick will be in Europe for a year.  Anyway, back to football...
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 12:54pm
Did you guys hear that Fred Stamps claims he's the best receiver in the league?  At least stats back that up this season, unlike last year when he dropped everything.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic