The CFL 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The CFL 2011
    Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 8:56am
This thread died a while back, but I figure I'll mention I'll be at the Argos-TiCats game tonight.  A meaningless game for the Argos since they are not going to be in the playoffs, but a few of their players are in positions to reach milestones or break records tonight.  Unfortunately, Dalton Bell will be the starting QB after Jyles got hit hard in the head last week.  I'd be surprised if this isn't his last game with the Argos.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 9:34pm
That was a very ugly 4th quarter, but I should be used to seeing those.  Lots of key Winnipeg guys banged up, and Jyles apparently injured the same arm that he had surgery on.  I'll take the win, but it was one of those games that could have went the other way and I'd feel the exact same about it.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 1:29pm
Winning?

Actually Esks almost managed to blow that ridiculous lead they had over Hamilton
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 10:32am
I was surprised to see Jason Pottinger in the lineup.  He tore his ACL earlier in the year.  I guess watching losses from the sidelines was even more painful than that. LOL

Overall, it was a solid game by the Argos despite the loss.  Jyles looked rather good aside from the costly interceptions and a fumble.  The defense was rather solid for most of the game, but the offense let them down with too many drives where we had to settle for field goals.  

The Argos are being left in a hole, but the West is looking much more competitive with the good play of Saskatchewan and BC lately.  It should make for some entertaining playoff matches.

NFL Sunday, but unfortunately I'll be sleeping on the couch half the time.  A rare drinking night last evening resulted in a poor night's sleep. Sleepy
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 10:57am
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

^^^Jerry Jones won't like that. Tony Romo it seems to me can't get 'er done. Throws an interception/bad pass at crucial times. Can't seem to put a team away. That Jet's D is amazing. They on the other hand seem to get it done when Sanchez isn't playing well.

I love seeing teams that have great defensive backs.  I love a good sack, but nothing gets me off my seat quite like an interception.  Granted, Revis had one gift-wrapped. LOL
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 10:30am
^^^Jerry Jones won't like that. Tony Romo it seems to me can't get 'er done. Throws an interception/bad pass at crucial times. Can't seem to put a team away. That Jet's D is amazing. They on the other hand seem to get it done when Sanchez isn't playing well.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 10:16am
That Jets/Cowboys game was AMAZING!  The announcers pointed out that it was Dallas' first loss after having a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter ever.  They had like 250-ish wins and 1 tie before that game.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 10:03am
I watched six games yesterday. Ridiculous really. Hamilton looked brutal. Still lots of time Dan. Bombers/Ti-Cats could go on a slide and the Argos go on a winning streak. I have seen it many times in the CFL.

Seahawks looked dismal in the first half but Tavares Jackson came on in the second half. The score really doesn't reflect the game.

Steelers/Ravens was a bruiser. Fights and squirmishes every fourth play it seemed. These guys hate each other. Big Ben and the Steelers got a lickin'.Smile

And the 'Boys chocked again. Tony Romeo doesn't have it to get it done. The Jets blocked a punt in the 4th qtr. and a scored a TD. Put it away with a FG. Gotta like it.Big smile

Two more games tonight. Lookin' forward to see the Pats/Dolphins game. I think after that game I'll have had enough football for a few days.

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 9:42am
Oh of course the Riders had to win.  If the Argos lose to them next week, that's a pretty big hole to climb out of.  Maybe Fantuz returning will spark them to improve?
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 8:43pm
I have to say, being an armchair coach here, that Jim Barker has made some very questionable calls this year in which most haven't worked out. There's still a chance yet the the Argos will make the playoffs. Look at the Lions last year. Brutal first half and came on strong in the second. Almost the same story this year. Anything happen, especially in the CFL.

A couple of games tomorrow along with NFL. It will be hard day's work operating that remote.LOL

Bombers/Riders. I'm taking the Riders for the second week in a row.

Als/Ti-Cats. Als at home.

Seahawks/49ers. No idea(?).
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 8:28pm
Yes, Phil, I'm definitely being optimistic about this whole thing.  I'm assuming no playoffs (especially if we lose next week), I just want to see reasons to be optimistic.

I think Barker will step down as coach after this season and stick to his GM role.  I'd also imagine we will be looking for more effective targets for Jyles to throw to, and try to get 1 established receiver threat.  The D would also play with more confidence if the offense wasn't in shambles.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 8:17pm
The Lions D has been stellar. The O looked pretty good. The Lions really don't have a good running game yet. That will eventually come and bite them in the azz, but then again maybe not if the D keeps playing like they have.

Gyles improved with every series. He sure looked good in the 2nd half. I'd even say it was the best performance by an Argo QB this year going by his 2nd half play. I saw alot a good things with the O in the 2nd half. You have to be optimestic now Dan. I'm surprised again that the Argos don't use Cory Boyd and Chad Owens more. Every time those guys touch the ball they're a threat. Get them the ball!

Seahawks/49ers. It's so wide open in the NFC west. Any of the teams could win it this year. Steelers/Ravens is always a bruiser. I hope it's broadcasted here. Jets/Cowboys is another game I'd like to see. I hate those 'Boys. Tony "Oromeo" and 'America's team. I've hated that team since the Roger Staubach days. I put them in that bracket with the NY Yankees and Montreal Canadiens and even the L.A. Lakers. Either you love 'em of hate 'em. I hate 'em. Well not so much the Canadiens now but back in the 70's through to 2000. Especially that 70's team.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 7:21pm
Fierce D by BC, and rust that seemed to gradually wear off Jyles.  Not much to be happy about considering no TDs were scored by the Argos, but I expected this type of game.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 11:49am
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

I'll be on the couch all day tomorrow.Sleepy

Same here. Big smile
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 11:43am
I'll be on the couch all day tomorrow.Sleepy
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 11:14am
That Saints/Packers game was very entertaining.  High scoring, some great kick returns, and it came down to the final drive.

I have no idea who will win the Super Bowl.  Total guess would be Eagles with a huge redemption story for Vick.  Lots of predictions I've seen seem to like the Chargers.  It's like with in hockey, people often seem to choose the Sharks, assuming they'll eventually get over the hump.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 11:02am
Just joking Dan.Wink

All I hope is that it is better game than last weekend. I couldn't take any more of the game last night as I shut it off at halftime. Just brutal football. I did see that Calgary won.

I would think that Jyles would start. I can't see Bell going in there after his performance last weekend.

BTW, just a great game Thursday night. GB looks like they might take it again ...if Rodgers can stay healthy.

My pick for the Superbowl > NY Jets. Not a big fan of the team but I think it's thier year
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 10:36am
I'll tell you where you can stick your can of Whoop Ass. Evil Smile

I'm assuming Jyles is going to start, and I'm not expecting any miracles.  I haven't totally ruled out the playoffs, but I'm just using the remaining games to get comfortable with how our offense may look next season.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 10:24am
Dan, are ready for this afternoon?:

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 8:24am
Yeah from the sound of it, it had more to do with Lemon's attitude than performance.  Based on the timing of his cut, maybe Lemon could get onto an NFL practice roster.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic