5 [16.13%]
11 [35.48%]
2 [6.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

^That's true. Granted, there are a lot of borderline cases with industrial, glam, metalcore, proto (duh), alternative, and grind IMO. However, there is no way that you can argue that black, death, doom, power, thrash, and heavy metal aren't metal, so in that sense I agree with you.

EDIT: Ninja'd by The Block Tongue this is directed at J-man.

HA!!! LOL

bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 3:53pm

Thrash, Doom, Death and Black.
Progressive Metal is for pussies.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 4:02pm
It would seem, methinks, that people here just voted for their favorite *coughcoughprogmetalcough*
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 4:10pm
I'm going with death metal for it's brutality.  Trad metal has a case in it's genre name alone, and many of those bands are what most "mainstreamers" would think of when they hear the term metal (Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, etc.).  Metallica is a significant exception, but their name helps with the association or serves as irony depending on your POV. LOL
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 11:41am
Originally posted by bonnek bonnek wrote:

ShockedCry
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

ShockedCry

Cry
Though in all honesty some progressive metal isn't nearly as "metal" as most other metal genres.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 7:51pm

Then I am a pussy and damn proud of it! Approve
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by The Block The Block wrote:

ShockedCry

Cry
Though in all honesty some progressive metal isn't nearly as "metal" as most other metal genres.

Liquid Tension Experiment...
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 6:57am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Then I am a pussy and damn proud of it! Approve

Hmm, my avatar looks very pussy as well. Confused

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 6:36pm
bumpity bump
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 6:43pm
I don't understand why people think prog metal is "weak" or "for pussies" it is just as metal as any other metal genre. Of course I won't use DT as an example because certain people have already expressed their hatred for them, but are you calling bands such as Savatage, for "Streets", and Opeth pussies?

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 7:02pm
They're jealous of the kool kats, that's why CoolTongue

No but seriously, prog metal is "weird," and people don't like weird things. Show someone who likes other music a 25 minute long epic and they'll poo poo it on sight. Trust me, I have experience trying to show people A Change of Seasons (my favorite DT song, if not my FAVORITE song), and they freak out saying how it can't possibly be good if it's that long. 
Even for non long tracks, any track with virtuoso instrumental sections or creative fusion techniques will throw people off the edge, because apparently if a track doesn't have 3 minutes of intense riffing and then it's over, it's not really a metal track.  A lot of people also think that because prog metal pulls a lot of influence from jazz, classical, and just plain old prog rock, that it doesn't have the metal edge of death or thrash metal. 

Yea, and there are always hipsters and purists Tongue
I'm one for prog rock/metal, so I can almost see where they're coming from (well not really)

Edited by andyman1125 - 07 Mar 2011 at 7:04pm
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 7:14pm
Yeah, for some people songs have to be within a certain time limit, i.e. 3-5 minutes, and if it isn't that long they refuse to listen to it. For me though if an album doesn't have a song over 8 or so minutes it is kind of a turn off. Embarrassed

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 7:22pm
prog metal isn't even weird, it's just glorified, elongated power metal
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 8:11pm

Yeah, for some people songs have to be within a certain time limit, i.e. 3-5 minutes, and if it isn't that long they refuse to listen to it. For me though if an album doesn't have a song over 8 or so minutes it is kind of a turn off. Embarrassed

You're not alone LOL
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

You mean early prog metal. Ever heard of Riverside? 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 8:17pm

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

You mean early prog metal. Ever heard of Riverside? 

Yes, and I was exaggerating slightly LOL

Prog metal is still not weird; at least here, everything good and weird gets lumped in avant-metal
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 8:27pm
^True, and I didn't mean to sound so condescending. Embarrassed
And yes, it's not weird here, but go out anywhere and play a prog metal song and people will have a purely confused expression on. I think people just don't like impurities in their metal genres.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 9:13pm
One time we were out at a bar that was nearly empty (there was just my large group and one other large group), and a friend of mine put Octavarium on the jukebox (it had some big online database).  Everyone from the other group was glaring at us angrily for the entire duration.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 3:14am

I don't understand why people think prog metal is "weak" or "for pussies" it is just as metal as any other metal genre. Of course I won't use DT as an example because certain people have already expressed their hatred for them, but are you calling bands such as Savatage, for "Streets", and Opeth pussies?

Well you have to admit Opeth is really melodic. Just cause they have death vocals doesn't mean they're brutal.

Anyway, I don't think heaviness is inherently metal. For example, bands like Slipknot and Bring Me the Horizon are heavier than Judas Priest or Maiden, yet the latter two are clearly more metal than either of the former.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic