MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thrash Big Four

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
39 [47.56%]
23 [28.05%]
8 [9.76%]
12 [14.63%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Megadeth is still the undisputed #1

brofist, bro

Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
genghiscon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 7:18pm
I think in terms of consistency thru the length of their collective careers, Hands Down, you have to go with Megadeth. Even their worst albums like Risk and Cryptic Writings are still more passable than St. Anger or Diabolus In Musica.

And while Master of Puppets or Reign in Blood are considered 5 star classics against Megadeths Peace Sells or Rust in Peace , Megadeth really has had stronger albums overall. Not to mention, Dave has arguably had better musicians surrounding him during his tenure. I would dare say Menza and Friedman would make Metallica better than they have ever been with Ulrich and Hammett.

Just my two cents, but felt it deserved saying....
I got Rock N Roll to save me from the cold, and if thats all there is, that aint so bad. Rock N Roll! - Lemmy
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 12:55am
Slayer, eventhough they have crappy albums too (just like all the others),
Anthrax is pretty cool, never been a huge fan.
Megadeth, never liked it really. I hate Dave Mustain's whiney voice. Plus the lyrics are so stupid.
Metallica, they do have great albums. But nowadays, on stage... Eventhough Tom Araya can't headbang anymore, he's still a much better performer than James Hettfield. Plus he's vocally so much better. James hettfield doesn't scream anymore, he does some singing as if he's in a pop rock band.
S33T View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S33T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 5:35am
I really really don't like slayer at all..
I can listen to it, but I'll never put it on bymyself..
that's also for metallica..
Megadeth is closer to okay..
and then I'll only be there for anthrax..
192 juicy bodies of children. I'm a sadist.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 10:01am
Exodus :-P
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zargus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 12:26pm
Megadeth.
http://www.riseaboverecords.com/wp-content/uploads/BLOOD-CEREMONY-new-2016.jpg
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 7:58am
I really expected Slayer to win here. Surprising result. 

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
S33T View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S33T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 8:30am
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

I really expected Slayer to win here. Surprising result. 

I think it's just that slayer is really know'n by many people,
and a lot of people are screaming slayer in some random concerts *what's really anoying..''

but when it comes to good music! slayer is far from it :D

My boyfriend tries to convince me that they have some good albums. but still. NO :D
192 juicy bodies of children. I'm a sadist.
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 12:43pm

If anyone likes some thrash metal, I would say they'd also like some Slayer. Not like a fan or something, but it's good quality music. It's like you listen to brutal death metal and you don't like Suffocation or Cannibal Corpse.

When I'm at no-metal festivals, I tend to scream Slayer pretty often when I'm drunk :P

Plus, Metallica is far more famous in general. So I would expect them to win. Allthough, I thought they'd lose on most metal forum for selling out to metal music. But I quess I'm wrong.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 2:26pm
I like all four bands. All of them have had unimpressive output and really amazing output, and they are different enough from each other that I can't really compare them. When I was young I listened more to Metallica and Megadeth than Slayer and Anthrax, but nowadays I like the bands equally much.

Really, it ought to be The Big Six with Testament and Exodus included.

Edited by Time Signature - 11 Nov 2011 at 2:27pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

This, although I'd probably still have voted Megadeth.  It would change my 2nd and 3rd choices, though.

I think Slayer would be way better if Kerry King wasn't allowed to play "solos"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 3:36pm
I agree to an extent with Time Sig and Tri-Top that Exodus and Testament should be revered with the Big Four for their contributions to the genre. I think were they stumble there is that they never got the publicity, critical acclaim and sales that the Big Four did, so they don't get lumped in. Having seen all six bands in concert, I think they all have game and put on good shows.

I think there may be the like-ability factor working against Slayer. Not the most cuddly band in the world...lol. Metallica, yeah, they get a lot of votes from their early work. But, you would think that their later work (and the fact that Lars and James' egos have turned them into another Gene and Paul from KISS) would take away a lot of votes, too.
Dave is abrasive and can be off-putting, but I can't help but admire him for cleaning up his act from his younger days, personally. And poor Anthrax. I love the guys. I just think the John Bush thing never quite worked for me (not counting Sound of White Noise...which I thought was brilliant) Too many sub-par albums in a row killed all the momentum they had built during the Belladonna era.

Aren't you guys glad you didn't ask for my opinion? Big smile

I got Rock N Roll to save me from the cold, and if thats all there is, that aint so bad. Rock N Roll! - Lemmy
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 3:58am
Testament and Exodus could make it into a big six indeed. I suppose.
And indeed, Kerry King's solos suck most of the times. Especially the new ones I've heard (only once). Jeff Hanneman always was the better guitarist, but somehow Kerry King is far more famous and admired... Just because he has tattoos on his head or something? Never understand it. Jeff Hanneman is way better, hands down.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 4:59am
Kerry King's fucked up solos are an integrated part of the Slayer sound, as are Hanneman'. I've never been botherred with one of then being better than the other, though.
Riitasointi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riitasointi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 10:59am
About Jeff and Kerry:

C'mon guys! Kerry is clearly much better guitarist than Jeff. His riffing is way smoother and more precise, whereas Jeff tries to keep up with the tempo with his odd right hand technique and makes lots of little mistakes all the time. That being said, Jeff is a lot better songwriter than Kerry. Ever heard of Angel of Death, South of Heaven, War Ensembe, Raining Blood, Seasons In The Abyss? So basically, Jeff writes the riffs and Kerry plays them Approve

I think my favourite of these four is Megadeth, although I think they are all really good. Everyone knows Metallica's music is sloppy after Black Album but they still kill live!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 12:31pm
I�m a Slayer fanboy taken to the extremeEmbarrassed. It hasn�t always been like that, but in the last 15 years I�ve really loved them to death. Especially Reign in Blood, South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss. As far as thrash metal goes, nothing beats those albums in my book.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Especially Reign in Blood, South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss. As far as thrash metal goes, nothing beats those albums in my book.

QFT

All the poo-pooing over Jeff and Kerry's noodling isn't really the issue. If Araya's bass playing and technique  were stronger and higher in the mix, it would elevate Slayer to an even higher degree. Of that I have no doubt at all.
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 11:50am
I think Araya's bass is pretty cool on Hell Awaits for example.

But have anyone heard Lulu of Metallica? I just heard a part of one song. I think it's classified as rock instead of metal.
Plus; I think it's really really really shameful that the big four tour was actually a Metallica tour with the big three as support acts. They all have been influential so I think they all should switch from gig to gig who should headline.
I didn't want to go, especially because of the costs, but also because I assumed the majority will be Metallica fans rather than BIG FOUR fans. I want to headbang and hangout with people who like Anthrax, Megadeth en Slayer as well. Here is an example for how emberrassing this is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0KNYeKvT1Y&feature=related
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 1:42pm
There's some mad thrash on Lulu as well, it's pretty metal in places definitely.

And yeah, a co-headlining thing would have been cool to do, but the harsh truth is that Metallica is the most popular metal band in the world, and nobody's going to play after them, except for the Rolling Stones.
<- Click on this!
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Just send me to Deutschland, because I want Kreator.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic