Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Internal news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rating/review weights changed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 4:31pm
By classic I just mean any old albums. Like maybe any albums before 1995 or something like that?

I think any of the suggested methods would work, because there's an endless amount of old albums that haven't been reviewed or barely reviewed. Even some well-known classics like Exciter's Heavy Metal Maniacs don't have any reviews.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 10:36am
I kinda like your polls on individual years. Maybe we could do a challenge by year so that everyone can pick an album from say, 1985 and compare notes so that not everyone reviews Metallica or something.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 12:17pm
It's not so much of a challenge if everyone picks their own album - we can do that anytime.

I have a proposition for this reviewer's challenge. How about a special one that goes decade by decade? Everyone gets picked a 70's album, an 80's album and a 90's album that they haven't heard and reviews all three? I'd say reviewing pairs would be the best way to do it. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 1:02pm
I'd be up for that, would we have to choose albums that our partner hasn't even heard? I think it might be better to just have the limit at not reviewed.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 1:05pm
Decades are a little broad, dontcha think? Maybe a little more fine tuned. Maybe a genre from a decade like 80s doom metal or 90s power metal or something a little more limiting. Maybe for the 70s a decade is fine but when you get to the 2000s, that's like a billion albums or so.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 1:05pm
We can do that, though I don't mind albums being picked that other people have reviewed. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

We can do that, though I don't mind albums being picked that other people have reviewed. 

Yeah, that's what I meant, just as long as the reviewing partner hasn't reviewed the album they've been picked obviously. Tongue
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:24pm
I'd be interested in that, except I really don't know if I'd get through an album from the 70's, unless it's either prog rock, Judas Priest or Black Sabbath, or something (and yes, i do have plenty of unrated albums for both of those bands, and do plan to correct that eventually.) 80's and 90's would be perfectly fine for me, though.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

I'd be interested in that, except I really don't know if I'd get through an album from the 70's, unless it's either prog rock, Judas Priest or Black Sabbath, or something (and yes, i do have plenty of unrated albums for both of those bands, and do plan to correct that eventually.) 80's and 90's would be perfectly fine for me, though.

Do you generally not like 70's music?
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

Do you generally not like 70's music?

As someone who remembers the 70s, I can quite honestly say by and large NO!LOL I remember the abominations that was disco, and shit like Racy and Rod Stewart and Disco Duck...Ouch

The thing with doing a "classics" challenge is that if you go too far back, it really limits the range of genres available. The likes of thrash, death, black metal, grindcore, power metal etc. really only developed in the 80s, and some of those didn't really shine until the 90s. I'm not against it, I just think it needs to be selected carefully.
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 11:59pm
Yeah, that's more what I meant. Almost every kind of metal I like didn't even exist back in the 70's, so I'd mostly be limited to either the bands I mentioned, prog rock and maybe a bit of hard rock. I really can't think of much else I'd like from that period.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 1:20am
You know I was thinking instead I could research which highly regarded albums from all years/genres have no/few reviews and maybe doing a random selection of maybe three for everyone like we did on the 2017 catch-up challenge. You remember, the one where you were able to swap your selection with those still in the pile if you needed to. I think that may work best.
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 1:34am
Personally I like the one for each decade and having pairs better, but I wouldn't be against doing it that way.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 5:02am
I think a random selection may work better. I've started listing possible albums. We can do either one large random list or sort it by genre so everything gets something to their preference. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 5:13am
Though we could still go by decade, or even by sub-genre. Let me see how many valid albums I can find first. Feel free to give me suggestions as well though. The criteria I'm using is 0 or 1 reviews and on either Spotify or Bandcamp.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 7:58am
Let's continue this in this collab zone thread:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12942&PID=177138&#177138
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic