MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Age Old Debate: Black Metal vs Death Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Black Metal or Death Metal?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [33.33%]
10 [66.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Age Old Debate: Black Metal vs Death Metal
    Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 3:11pm
Which do you like more?
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 3:32pm
While I do love some black metal bands (Myrkur, Melechech, and Satyricon are all among my favorite bands), I much prefer death metal. While I have to be in the mood to really enjoy black metal, I can enjoy my favorite death metal bands at pretty much any time.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

While I do love some black metal bands (Myrkur, Melechech, and Satyricon are all among my favorite bands), I much prefer death metal. While I have to be in the mood to really enjoy black metal, I can enjoy my favorite death metal bands at pretty much any time.
Pretty much how I feel too. I guess I just prefer riff driven music more than atmosphere driven ditto.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 3:55pm
While I have a high regard for death metal, I have to vote for black metal. While I do tend to go through phases where the genre doesn't interest me so much, I do that with death metal too. The clincher was that I'm usually more like to find enjoyment even from the more standard black metal album than I am from the more standard death metal album. 

Honestly I tend to think of black metal as the more innovative of the two as well especially in regard to how far artists push the sound and include influences from other genres, including ones that later took root in death metal (symphonic black metal was firmly established long before the current breed of symphonic death metal bands for example). 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 11:47pm
Death metal. I really hate the pose that comes with black metal- misanthropy, looking grim, corpse paint, crappy production (blowfly buzzing guitars, screeched vocals) or overdone symphonic/atmospheric bollocks, the way some bands are anti-Christian, but pro-Odin/Pagan/something else (it's all religion!), the superior attitude of some fans (just to be clear, I don't get that from anyone here!).

All that said, I do like some black metal, but it's mainly the big names which aren't Darkthrone (the worst offenders!) and Dimmu Borgir. And I got the Abbath album recently, which kicked ass! The album cover looked bloody dumb though.Thumbs Down

I suppose that's a very negative way of looking at things. The positives for death metal? First heard it in 1989 (Death playing "Left To Die") and loved it instantly. It's just one of those love-at-first-sight/listen things. There are a few big name bands I don't much like (Suffocation, Six Feet Under, most of the melodic bands, deathcore like Whitechapel), but I'll take it over black metal most days.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Death metal. I really hate the pose that comes with black metal- misanthropy, looking grim, corpse paint, crappy production (blowfly buzzing guitars, screeched vocals) or overdone symphonic/atmospheric bollocks, the way some bands are anti-Christian, but pro-Odin/Pagan/something else (it's all religion!), the superior attitude of some fans (just to be clear, I don't get that from anyone here!).

All that said, I do like some black metal, but it's mainly the big names which aren't Darkthrone (the worst offenders!) and Dimmu Borgir. And I got the Abbath album recently, which kicked ass! The album cover looked bloody dumb though.Thumbs Down

It's a fair point but I do think that you are generalising somewhat. Black metal as a whole has mostly moved on from all that. Sure you do get bands that are just out there trying to be as true or kvlt as they can (some of which I do think are good but most don't interest me - I have one Darkthrone album which has always been enough), but a lot of newer black metal bands look like fairly ordinary people and are usually the one's pushing the genre forward and making the most interesting albums. 

This is what the band who made my highest rated black metal album on my 2015 looks like for example:

GG2U

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 12:44am
well, neither, at least not in their "pure" form if I may say so, blend them with something else and I will give that a listen. Big smile
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 12:47am
Black metal.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 1:04am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

It's a fair point but I do think that you are generalising somewhat. Black metal as a whole has mostly moved on from all that. Sure you do get bands that are just out there trying to be as true or kvlt as they can (some of which I do think are good but most don't interest me - I have one Darkthrone album which has always been enough), but a lot of newer black metal bands look like fairly ordinary people and are usually the one's pushing the genre forward and making the most interesting albums. 

This is what the band who made my highest rated black metal album on my 2015 looks like for example:

Yes, I'll freely admit to sweeping generalisations!Big smile I suppose I haven't really moved on my view of black metal since the late 90s. Too many things annoyed me back then so I haven't much explored black metal since then.
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 7:02am
Death metal. 

Black metal is one of the genres I cannot stand. The vocals is one thing (ruin everything for me) and the second is the autistic, shitty songwriting. I am talking about the early 90s Norwegian scene and what followed obviously, not the 80s black metal (the satanic bands).

Regarding vocals, it's the deal breaker. I have no idea what the appeal is. I like extreme vocals as much as the next man (give me vincent, Tardy, Hoffman, Schuldiner, Mille, Schmier etc) but I want passion and aggression, heaviness that means business. When the vocals are something else, like "desperate" or "howling" or some frozen emotion or some shit, it just sounds like SHIT to my ears. And it usually ruins any good music that might be there. 

As far as autistic, shitty songwriting goes, I mean repetitious, tragically bad recorded "riffs" with "atmosphere" (what we used to call a shitty demo turned out to be grim and evil in the 90s, fancy that) with the aforementioned shitty vocals on top. I find this kind of music pure garbage and for the life of me I never managed to get in the proper mood and understand what the horde of black metal fans actually find in it. 

There are VERY few exceptions (usually songs) but nothing that I think is perfect as it is.

So, yeah, death metal! :P

Edited by Vic - 09 Mar 2016 at 11:29am
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 7:52am
I like every style of metal and like both black and death but my favorites include fusion aspects like Behemoth and their blackened death approach
Wyvern_13 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wyvern_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 8:33am
I prefer Death Metal out of the two, partly I suppose because of how easily it blends with other genres to form a different beast (Death/Doom, Death/Black, Melodic Death, Death/Sludge, there's so many different sounds to choose from) whereas any added ingredients in Black Metal tend to change the atmosphere rather then the overall tone of the music (although there are of course exceptions). Or at least thats how I experience it.

I do like Black Metal though but as with most things whether I want to listen to it or not depends an awful lot on my mood at the time.
Þessi undirskrift kemur málinu bara alls ekkert við!
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 2:09pm
Some interesting comments so far, particularly from black metal's detractors. Honestly it sounds like a couple of you there are judging the entire genre based on the lo-fi necro types. That's your prerogative I guess, but it annoys the shit out of me. I could just as easily say I fucking hate death metal because of deathcore and then the shoe would be on the other foot. I don't hate death metal at all for the record, just making a point. I imagine you guys would be just as pissed at the notion of all death metal being written off because of deathcore.

Here's another point: I made a simple poll. I didn't open an arena for a flame war.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 12:14am
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

Some interesting comments so far, particularly from black metal's detractors. Honestly it sounds like a couple of you there are judging the entire genre based on the lo-fi necro types. That's your prerogative I guess, but it annoys the shit out of me. I could just as easily say I fucking hate death metal because of deathcore and then the shoe would be on the other foot. I don't hate death metal at all for the record, just making a point. I imagine you guys would be just as pissed at the notion of all death metal being written off because of deathcore.

Here's another point: I made a simple poll. I didn't open an arena for a flame war.

Black metal is a Marmite genre (if you don't know what Marmite is... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite ) as in you either love it or hate it. It's harder to sit on the fence and have no opinion. I'm quite willing to check out new bands if anyone has suggestions.

And this isn't really a flame war. This is very civilized compared to other places I post.Wink
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 12:29am
I like marmite.

Also my last post was made more in the hope of preventing a flame war rather than stopping one already in progress.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 1:00am
Black metal examples that I at least feel show off the genre's diversity. Not promising that you'll like any of them.

Winterhorde: Prog black metal. This is just one song. The full album needs to be experienced for the full effect.

Fen: Atmospheric black metal. Fen are one of the ABM groups that don't lack for aggression in their music. 

Carach Angren: symphonic black metal. Corpse-painted which you'll have to take with a grain of salt, but some of the genre's most intelligible vocals. 

Hail Spirit Noir: Psych black metal, one of the more unique bands I've found in the last few years.

Vattnet Viskar: sludge influenced black metal. The vocals on this album often sound more like those used in early Mastodon.

Myrkur: black metal with primarily clean vocals.

Immortal: thrashy black metal (later stuff only).

Mesarthim: spacey, ambient, electronic kind of black metal.

Saille: melodic/symphonic black metal.

Edited by adg211288 - 03 Mar 2016 at 1:14am
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 1:00am

Black metal is a Marmite genre (if you don't know what Marmite is... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite ) as in you either love it or hate it. It's harder to sit on the fence and have no opinion. I'm quite willing to check out new bands if anyone has suggestions.

And this isn't really a flame war. This is very civilized compared to other places I post.Wink

You may enjoy Melechesh, they have some thrash and middle-eastern stylings and are very riff-driven. Here's one of my favorites, it's an instrumental but that riff is so powerful:

And another favorite of mine:

If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

You may enjoy Melechesh, they have some thrash and middle-eastern stylings and are very riff-driven. Here's one of my favorites, it's an instrumental but that riff is so powerful:

And another favorite of mine:

I actually have a Melechesh album, and I think it's excellent. I hadn't realised they were classed as black metal. And thanks for the other suggestions. I know Immortal well enough, and like them (also quite like the Abbath album), but the others are all foreign to me. Have heard good things about Myrkur.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 1:22am
Melechesh are usually classed as melodic black metal. Melodic black is noted for its stronger production values than other forms of black metal. 
GG2U

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 6:36am
I prefer glam metal and nu metal, the only true types of metal!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic