MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal Up Your Ass and all that Jazz Room V2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 267268269270271 328>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 3:56am
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Went with the wife and kids bicycling to visit Fortun Fortet: http://www.fortunfortet.dk/FFsider/ffleksikon/ff/ff.htm. Build around 1891-92 is was once a part of the "NorthFront" defence system which was meant to defend Copenhagen from invaders. It´s not more than a couple of kilometers from where I live now and from where I lived as a child. Me and my Brother used to break into the fort when we were younger and roam the mystic, dark, and haunted place.

Oh man, that brings back some memories! I had ruins of Jewish Funeral House (direct translation from Polish as it's not a parlour or anything, just a sort of a temple for the dead) by a Jewish cemetery in my hometown. There were a lot of those as the Jewish community in Poland and Germany was very big before WWII. I broke into the ruins once with my then girlfriend and her friend. As you said, there is something about such places - they usually are monuments to the history gone wrong. Now, finally, they are renovating the building - it will be a museum commemorating the community, exterminated by Nazis during the war. 

Although WW2 was a terrible tragedy, it´s still incredibly interesting in hindsight. The many famous battles are of course interesting, but I actually find the psychology aspect of the war and the years leading to the war even more interesting. How the hell Hitler and his followers could convince pretty regular Germans, that it was OK to despise and regard jews, homosexuals, mentally/pshysically handicapped, and other minorities as vermin, who should be exterminated, is scary but also interesting. It´s pretty basic mechanism that we see repeated Again and Again in hot zones all over the World. I Wonder if the human race will ever get smarter, or if our egos and lust for power will be our undoing.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 5:02am
I've read a book about the reasons behind Holocaust several years ago. What I am going to say may be obvious to you by now, but here's what I remember. First things first: while Germany was the main culprit, whole Europe was actually responsible for what happened. Antisemitism, existing for centuries, was quickly escalating at least since the very beginning of the XX century. The most well-known example of this is the Dreyfus affair. So, anyway, Hitler had already started preparing the society for what's to come back in 1933. It started with fairly simple stuff, like prohibiting Jews from entering cinemas, public parks and so on - all that to 1) make the society think of them as second-class citizens 2) make Jews think they are worse than the rest of the society. His ultimate goal was not only to make the society think Jews are not real people, but also break Jews themselves. 

There are many idiots asking: "oh, but why didn't they resist the Nazis? There were so many of them!" Well, that's why: Hitler broke Jewish people (and other minorities like the Romani people),  before the war even started. They were second class citizens for years, they were not allowed to enter parks even if dogs could, they were forced to live in ghettos etc. I think this part is just as terrifying as the extermination that followed because it shows how powerful propaganda and psychological terror can be.

Yeah, it's worrying that nazi movements are growing stronger again. That's why it's so important to remember about and understand what made Holocaust possible. I live just an hour or so by car from Auschwitz (as you know, Germany invaded Poland and established most of their extermination camps here). I was there and I will never forget.

EDIT: I like how this conversation started with an account from a family trip  and ended up with a talk about Holocaust ;d All this in the Metal Up Your Ass and all that Jazz Room.

Edited by bartosso - 12 Aug 2015 at 6:01am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 12:11pm
I'm really hating the new Last.fm redesign. What was so wrong with the design they've had in the near six years I've been there? I've actually been considering leaving the site anyway but this is pretty much the last straw. The new site doesn't even work properly and they've gone and taken it out of beta seemingly unfinished. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I'm really hating the new Last.fm redesign. What was so wrong with the design they've had in the near six years I've been there? I've actually been considering leaving the site anyway but this is pretty much the last straw. The new site doesn't even work properly and they've gone and taken it out of beta seemingly unfinished. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates it. Not only is it unfinished, but it looks too much like Spotify. Not that I have a problem with Spotify, but it's not Spotify, so it shouldn't try to be Spotify. I left feedback, hopefully enough people leave negative feedback.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 12:20pm
I'm looking at their support site right now. I've yet to see a single person that likes it. 

GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 1:56pm
Agreed, looks like a generic "web 2.0" site now.  Trying too hard to look sleek and just looks awkward.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 9:42pm
Here's the link to a petition for those wanting to sign: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/lastfmbeta
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 10:59pm
Is this just a general discussion forum? Seems like anything goes here. Just droppin in to say hey, i've been hella busy with no time for errors and omissions and hardly even a review! Should be back to a regular life in the middle of September when i can add all those Bucketheads albums, get back to reviews and more metal additions Pig
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 1:31am
I stopped actively using Last.fm quite a while ago so this doesn't affect me. I agree though, looks horrible.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 2:12am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Is this just a general discussion forum? Seems like anything goes here. Just droppin in to say hey, i've been hella busy with no time for errors and omissions and hardly even a review! Should be back to a regular life in the middle of September when i can add all those Bucketheads albums, get back to reviews and more metal additions Pig

Real life pays the bills unfortunately Disapprove Unless its too much partying that's keeping you away Wink
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 2:14am
It's also much more limited. Even when you put aside that some clever clogs in a suit thought it a good idea to launch a site with features missing (which by the way support staff are saying will be added back in terms of weeks and months, which is obviously ridiculous), there is still less on the site now. Just a few things I've noticed already:

• Profile top artists has been cut down from 8 to 5.
  • Similar artists on artist pages has been cut down to a limit of 10. 
  • Artist images in library view has been cut down to small circle with most of the image cropped out.
  • Tracks are now listed in the format title - artist instead of the other way round. 
  • When they do allow profile customisation again, they are going to limit you to 200 characters. with zero formatting, so no album collages or anything else.

Edited by adg211288 - 18 Aug 2015 at 2:16am
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 2:58am
And it's an arse to rob track details off without a lot of reformatting (should I have said that?) Wink
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 3:25am

Yup I never use Last.fm for that. Sometimes they have some good cover artwork that I can use, but that´s it.

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 6:12pm

Is this just a general discussion forum? Seems like anything goes here.

Yes, basically a chat thread.  Based off the old "shred room" on progarchives.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 5:20am
Over a week on since the Last.fm change was forced on people. No significant improvement (if anything it's got worse) and complaints fall on deaf ears. Ladies and gentlemen you've just witnessed how not to manage a website. 

Oh and I've closed my account. Shame to wash six years and over 70000 scrobbles down the drain but since nothing I used the site for even works anymore I'm joining the exodus from the site. 
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 5:39am
One quirk I've found is that when you click on a tab, you then need to referesh your screen to make it work.

Not that I use the site aside from occasionally as a resource for MMA. And less so now you can't copy the pictures easily (you need to search for them on google and copy from there).

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 7:15pm
I was wondering why my sig. wasn't showing up!
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Over a week on since the Last.fm change was forced on people. No significant improvement (if anything it's got worse) and complaints fall on deaf ears. Ladies and gentlemen you've just witnessed how not to manage a website. 

Oh and I've closed my account. Shame to wash six years and over 70000 scrobbles down the drain but since nothing I used the site for even works anymore I'm joining the exodus from the site. 

How do you close your account, I'm thinking I'll want to do that too.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 10:15pm
Just curious. Has anyone on this site actually met in the non-cyber world? Guessing not since we're scattered accross the globe but these are things a puppy wonders about. That and are there squeekies in the Antarctic.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 11:30pm

Just curious. Has anyone on this site actually met in the non-cyber world? Guessing not since we're scattered accross the globe but these are things a puppy wonders about. That and are there squeekies in the Antarctic.

Me and Thatcher are friends beyond the net, but besides that I haven't met anyone irl. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 267268269270271 328>
  Share Topic