MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal Up Your Ass and all that Jazz Room V2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 235236237238239 328>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^Me neither. I think it�s a redundant option. I base my ratings on a full album and not how a few tracks sound. Maybe younger users (and I guess you don�t fall under that generalization JeffLOL), who are more used to the download format, where you can purchase specific tracks off an album will find it useful.

Not necessarily Even though I'm young, I've always been listening to albums in their entirety and judging them by general impression. And yeah, I rate every track separately and include those ratings in reviews as I think almost all albums are made of tracks we either like or not. Tracks are all we have in the album after allTongue Besides. it has never happened to me that my initial rating (and I always have one) was different from the one I calculated based on the average of track ratings. And now when I think about it, it actually might be a useful feature for users accustomed to iTunes etc. Damn, thanks Jonas for pointing that out!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 4:13am
I�m just an old fashioned fartLOL. I still have a hard time accepting digital files as an album. I want something physical between my hands if it�s something I really like...the times have changed of course and I�ll have to accept that at some point my race will be extinct.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 8:05am
I feel the same way, Jonas. I refuse to pay for any digital music - MP3 files just aren't the same as having something tangible to add to your collection. I really don't think that CD's and vinyl will go away in my lifetime, though... there are enough collectors out there to keep the business going, and CD's still outsell digital music in album sales overall. Big smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 11:11am
Not everyone can afford CDs, especially in countries with lower average income. It obviously doesn't mean I don't like physical releases and that I don't buy them, but I know people who have never even considered buying music And I don't blame them. I think music business is sick and that music itself should be legally available to everybody, regardless of their income. If only labels weren't so fucking greedy and CDs were cheaper...

I know I'm straying from the point, but I believe music should be free. And musicians should be paid from public fund. But I'm a dreamer. World is ruled by money, if you don't have it, you're screwed and nobody cares.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 11:22am
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Not everyone can afford CDs, especially in countries with lower average income. It obviously doesn't mean I don't like physical releases and that I don't buy them, but I know people who have never even considered buying music And I don't blame them. I think music business is sick and that music itself should be legally available to everybody, regardless of their income. If only labels weren't so fucking greedy and CDs were cheaper...

I know I'm straying from the point, but I believe music should be free. And musicians should be paid from public fund. But I'm a dreamer. World is ruled by money, if you don't have it, you're screwed and nobody cares.

That would be cool, but I still have the feelings that this concept would be corrupted by commercialization.  The support would go to artists who have more mainstream potential and get the most people to see them live. It would be a dogfight for experimental rock acts, death metal bands, or improvisational jazz musicians (among others) to get funded when there is little interest in their output.  But I'm just a pessimist, so humbug! LOL
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 11:33am
yeah, I hear you. Let's be honest though, how many death metal bands live off the music they sell? Cannibal Corpse? Behemoth? Only the biggest, most popular bands. All members of Cattle Decapitation have day jobs. Same for Suffocation, Immolation etc etc. The dogfight is already on.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 11:42am

yeah, I hear you. Let's be honest though, how many death metal bands live off the music they sell? Cannibal Corpse? Behemoth? Only the biggest, most popular bands. All members of Cattle Decapitation have day jobs. Same for Suffocation, Immolation etc etc. The dogfight is already on.

I guess if all the artists who needed funding got it, I could only imagine how it would affect taxes. Maybe by then money will have lost its meaning like in Star Trek. LOL
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I guess if all the artists who needed funding got it, I could only imagine how it would affect taxes. Maybe by then money will have lost its meaning like in Star Trek. LOL
That would be perfect LOL

But seriously, have you heard about Economy 2.0? It's a concept pushed through by transhumanists(among others) and it sounds like a really great idea. I've never really watched Star Trek but it's similar, right?

Edited by bartosso - 17 Feb 2013 at 11:49am
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 7:11pm
Jeopardy category today was Heavy Metal Heroes.  I'm proud to say that I swept the category. 
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Jeopardy category today was Heavy Metal Heroes.  I'm proud to say that I swept the category. 

"I'm not dumb.  I just have a command of thoroughly useless information"

-said no metalhead ever.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 12:06am
^Headbanger
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Apparently, it already happens in Sweden.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 8:12am
Without knowing the Swedish system in detail, I know they have quite a helpful system in place if you are a musician. Cheap rehearsal rooms, musical education and so forth...too bad we don�t have any Swedish regulars (Alex doesn�t come around often enough to be called a regular) who could verify this.

I�m pretty sure that�s why there are so many skilled musicians in a country with a relatively small population.

Edited by UMUR - 22 Feb 2013 at 8:13am
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 10:22am
^ what you say is true, Swedish system is extremely supportive but I think Wily meant that Sweden wants to give up traditional financial system.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 11:16am
Oh...I�m pretty sure that�s not true...although that line of thinking is very much in line with my own, it�s utopian thinking that humans will ever let go of the greed and the power struggles that is part of the traditional financial system. It�s a primal instinct that we want power over others. Some are able to control the urge and others have less control of that urge.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 11:49am

it�s utopian thinking that humans will ever let go of the greed and the power struggles that is part of the traditional financial system.

Also, if that appeared, then Napalm Death would have nothing to write songs about.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 12:20pm

Dear coworkers:

1) The fact that you are not speaking English during your hour-long personal phone call does not excuse you from using an inside voice.

2) Microwaving smelly leftover fish at 10:30 AM (or indeed at any time) bothers precisely every single other person in the office.  Don't.

This message has been brought to you by every office employee ever.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

it�s utopian thinking that humans will ever let go of the greed and the power struggles that is part of the traditional financial system.

Also, if that appeared, then Napalm Death would have nothing to write songs about.

Yeah and that would be like...really bad dude!LOL
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 2:04pm

Oh...I�m pretty sure that�s not true...although that line of thinking is very much in line with my own, it�s utopian thinking that humans will ever let go of the greed and the power struggles that is part of the traditional financial system. It�s a primal instinct that we want power over others. Some are able to control the urge and others have less control of that urge.
Oh no no, I didn't mean a revolution in the traditional sense Tongue, I just heard a few months ago that Swedes want to replace traditional money with some other system and I thought Liam was referring to that... I don't remember what exactly was it all about and if it was an actual reform, but it sounded like something innovative.

And yeah, I agree but still, the system we have today is bad and it will backfire sooner or later. All developed countries have built their power and prosperity on exploitation of the poor (Far East cheap labor, cheap natural resources from Africa to name just a few). I mean, we have to do something about this growing social inequity. The question is what we can do to change the mentality of whole societies. I know I sound like a communist but I'm not, believe me. The point is to come up with something that's actually feasible.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 2:46pm
Like you I hope it�ll be possible, but I fear it�s against basic human natureUnhappy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 235236237238239 328>
  Share Topic