69 [66.35%]
35 [33.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best of the Two
    Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 12:25pm
Opeth by a long shot.  I find DT extremely boring.
Gabimm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 11:36am
I love DT!

And I think the two completely different bands within the same universe (progressive metal).
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

I also agree with Opeth. I've always found them more interesting and diverse as opposed to Dream Theater, who seems to produce the same basic sound with every album.

Clap
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 8:01pm
I also agree with Opeth. I've always found them more interesting and diverse as opposed to Dream Theater, who seems to produce the same basic sound with every album.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

I apologize if you took the "no one likes me" part seriously and personally (which is totally understandable, given the unfortunate way I put it, haha) It's just that one of my best friends turned his back on me when I needed his support, that depresses me a bit. But in general, even if I am a little bit asocial, it's the way I am and I have no problem with that whatsoever.

Oh, man, yeah having experienced shit like that when I was younger, I think I know where you're coming from. I have just given up on the best-friend concept altogether.

Yeah, it turns out it's an overrated, idealistic concept. Also, I hope your life will get back to normal very soon.

Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

Although a dislike for LaBrie's voice is a common trait amongst many thousands of metalheads and is probably not curable ;-)

You saw right there that I tried anyway Tongue 
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 11:01am

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I know you´ve had a couple of really rough years, but there has to be at least a Little light at the end of the tunnel. We´re here for you mate Smile.

I'd assumed your posting was tongue-in-cheek, Bartosso. Where do you get the idea that you're not liked? Certainly I only know you from MMA but I always look forward to your posts. You in a bad place, mate?

Oh it definitely was tongue-in-cheek! Still, as Jonas has said, the stuff that's been happening during the last 2-3 years is really starting to mess with my brain, so there may be some subconscious, id, ego, super ego interferences Tongue.

Oh, I know the feeling... except I don't buy into Freudian theory. But, yeah, I've been going through a rough patch too. And it's not over yet :-S

I apologize if you took the "no one likes me" part seriously and personally (which is totally understandable, given the unfortunate way I put it, haha) It's just that one of my best friends turned his back on me when I needed his support, that depresses me a bit. But in general, even if I am a little bit asocial, it's the way I am and I have no problem with that whatsoever.

Oh, man, yeah having experienced shit like that when I was younger, I think I know where you're coming from. I have just given up on the best-friend concept altogether.
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 10:05am
Definitely Dream Theater. I could never get into Opeth. Don't really care about DT either since Train of Thought though.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 9:41am

I know you´ve had a couple of really rough years, but there has to be at least a Little light at the end of the tunnel. We´re here for you mate Smile.

I'd assumed your posting was tongue-in-cheek, Bartosso. Where do you get the idea that you're not liked? Certainly I only know you from MMA but I always look forward to your posts. You in a bad place, mate?

Oh it definitely was tongue-in-cheek! Still, as Jonas has said, the stuff that's been happening during the last 2-3 years is really starting to mess with my brain, so there may be some subconscious, id, ego, super ego interferences Tongue. I'm also on a very strict diet now and am hungry all the time LOL

Anyway, I'm sorry if my psychedelic rant worried you, but I'm also grateful for the kind words you said, they made me feel much better Smile

Edited by bartosso - 22 Jan 2015 at 9:43am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 9:12am

That's the thing. So many people, whose opinion and taste in music I greatly respect, love or used to love DT. Like you, Chris, or Jonas. Because of that, I tried to like them many times, I listened to them and suffered for, as I imagined, my own good... I bought their t-shirts and slept in them, then listened again - nothing. I went to a SPA to cleanse my body of toxins and tried once more. Nothing. I banged my head against the wall repeatedly. It didn't work. I started to watch soap operas to sharpen my emotional side while sprinkling my head with vanilla oil. Still hated them afterwards....

I KNOW YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT AND I AM IN THE WRONG HERE Angry I feel lonely... maybe if I had friends, the love for DT would come too? But even you, people on the web, don't like me. I don't like me! And I don't like DT!... Suddenly a feeling of pure unity, coming from this overwhelmingly harmonious wave of negativity, overcomes my mind. It changes me. It makes me lucid. I see now. The truth is... I just can't stand LaBries' stupid voice.

Oh my B. are you alright? Clown

lol, thanks for asking bro Hug 

As a matter of fact, I'm not sure.

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 8:49am
Although a dislike for LaBrie's voice is a common trait amongst many thousands of metalheads and is probably not curable ;-)
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 8:48am

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 8:38am

That's the thing. So many people, whose opinion and taste in music I greatly respect, love or used to love DT. Like you, Chris, or Jonas. Because of that, I tried to like them many times, I listened to them and suffered for, as I imagined, my own good... I bought their t-shirts and slept in them, then listened again - nothing. I went to a SPA to cleanse my body of toxins and tried once more. Nothing. I banged my head against the wall repeatedly. It didn't work. I started to watch soap operas to sharpen my emotional side while sprinkling my head with vanilla oil. Still hated them afterwards....

I KNOW YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT AND I AM IN THE WRONG HERE Angry I feel lonely... maybe if I had friends, the love for DT would come too? But even you, people on the web, don't like me. I don't like me! And I don't like DT!... Suddenly a feeling of pure unity, coming from this overwhelmingly harmonious wave of negativity, overcomes my mind. It changes me. It makes me lucid. I see now. The truth is... I just can't stand LaBries' stupid voice.

lol, thanks for asking bro Hug 

As a matter of fact, I'm not sure.

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 5:18am
Dream Theater for me, although I like Opeth a lot, too. I think maybe it boils down to the fact that the live experiences I have had with Dream Theater were much better than the ones I've had with Opeth. In terms of musicality, the two bands can't be compared though.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 1:53am

Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 1:16am
Opeth for sure.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

Of course Opeth!!!Mikael Akerfeldt learned me to hear Death metal.

Man I miss prog geo LOL
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 7:39pm
Opeth wins for me, I do love Dream Theater as well, but Opeth has more 5-star albums imo.

Edited by Unitron - 14 Feb 2015 at 4:53pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 7:29pm

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 4:33pm
Still love 'em both, but if I'm honest DT doesn't continue to excite me the way Opeth do.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 3:33pm
Dream Theater is one of those bands I generally prefer not to talk about out of fear of hurting someone's feelings.

But, if I had to say something, against all rules of political correctness... I'd say their music used to be something relatively fresh back in the 90s and it was by far the only good thing about it. Today it's not even that. Avoid. 

Opeth, on the other hand, used to be a mindblowing band. Now it's just good. I wouldn't compare the two, though. They are somewhat connected, yes, but Opeth is rooted in extreme metal and prog folk rather than symph prog and heavy metal, like DT.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic