MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Metal Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by The Block The Block wrote:

Hmmm, I never really got into Gojira, any suggestions?

The Way of All Flesh is considered their magnum opus... it's never really grabbed me though.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:22pm
^ Same here.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by goskoski goskoski wrote:

In the Woods... have a song that I would categorize as progressive. Progression in music is the movement of chords in succession without repetition.

That's one thing that can be regarded as progressive, yes, but it's not exclusive.  I also think that is the definition of a chord progression; not the same thing as "progressive music"

LOL
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 2:16am
Hmmm...

I take it Secrecy is VERY hard to find, I imagine that none of their albums have been re-issued.
I have a Cassette thats buried in a Box in Storage Cry.  I looked for them (with many others) after I
saw them mentioned in the credits on Fates Warning's "No Exit". Decades later I worked for a
Wholesale Warehouse/CD Distributor and found the Cassette, and was excellent! (I dont buy
on-line so its hard for me to find gems).  Cant remember the name of the album Embarrassed.

Into the Woods...
I have seen them put into the "Avant Garde Metal" catagory as well Wink.  Good stuff!
Go here and see various Avant-garde Metal Vidz on YOUtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Progulus4#grid/user/CC3D71E6F62D855A
(Also see "An Introduction to Avant-garde Metal" series).

Gojira
I quite like the album "From Mars to Sirius", though Prog Metallers, its along the lines of Meshuggah
Prog and a bit Math-Core-ish Wink.

commense to banging please.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 02 Aug 2012 at 11:49pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Metallica999 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallica999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 8:54am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Originally posted by The Block The Block wrote:

Hmmm, I never really got into Gojira, any suggestions?

The Way of All Flesh is considered their magnum opus... it's never really grabbed me though.

Personally, i'd say that From Mars To Sirius is their magnum opus. They changed their style on last album and although i like it, i prefer FMTS or The Link, which have more elements of death metal. Their first album is also good.

As for getting into them, I'd suggest From Mars To Sirius. I could hardly point out any song on that album, as most of them are on same level, but perhaps this one is my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko4dui0KYkA

They also have quite slow songs and instrumentals like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oViqJG3mXXo
Metallica999 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallica999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 8:56am

[/QUOTE]

They also have quite slow songs and instrumentals like this one:

[/QUOTE]

What i wanted to say was that they have quite a few "non metal" slow songs and instrumentals.
Sorry for mistake.
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 2:29pm
I regarded this particular song (I always forget the song title) by In The Woods... as Progressive instead of Avantgarde, because I hear some similarities to Pink Floyd and Eloy.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 2:58pm
I find Avant-garde and progressive to be pretty much in the same vein. Though I find Avant-garde to be truly "progressive", while plenty of progressive metal bands sound just the same as Fates Warning and DT did 20 years ago.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 11:23am
Originally posted by goskoski goskoski wrote:

I regarded this particular song (I always forget the song title) by In The Woods... as Progressive instead of Avantgarde, because I hear some similarities to Pink Floyd and Eloy.

are you thinking of the epic song from Omnio? 299796 km/s and the title song (in 3 parts)?
Charcaroth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charcaroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 9:52pm
I've been on a hunt for some good traditional prog metal bands lately, actually. It's been hard because the genre's becoming such a blanket genre with so many sounds just lumped under "progressive metal", but I did find an interesting band called Sieges Even. Their newer stuff sounds more like neo prog than prog metal, but the first few albums are pretty interesting. The first one, "lifecycle" is really thrashy and has a Watchtower vibe, but the second one, "Steps" is truly awesome, if you don't mind the singing.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
offseason View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote offseason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 8:55pm
Are you into bands like Fates Warning, Symphony X, King's X, Porcupine Tree, Pain of Salvation, Pagan's Mind, Dream Theater? Give ODD LOGIC a shot. Great Prog Metal from the U.S. Their latest "Over The Underworld" is a Sync-to-Movie presentation that follows 2003's (UNDERWORLD) in awesome detail. You can find samples at cdbaby.com/artist/oddlogic and myspace.com/oddlogicrock. Thanks, PROG ON!!!
offseason View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote offseason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 9:14pm
Hey Charcaroth, if you like traditional Prog Metal like older Fates Warning check out Manitou (Entrance) from 1995.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 8:58am
Originally posted by offseason offseason wrote:

Are you into bands like Fates Warning, Symphony X, King's X, Porcupine Tree, Pain of Salvation, Pagan's Mind, Dream Theater? Give ODD LOGIC a shot. Great Prog Metal from the U.S. Their latest "Over The Underworld" is a Sync-to-Movie presentation that follows 2003's (UNDERWORLD) in awesome detail. You can find samples at cdbaby.com/artist/oddlogic and myspace.com/oddlogicrock. Thanks, PROG ON!!!

AWESOME album and a terrific recommendation! Clap
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 9:22am

Hey Charcaroth, if you like traditional Prog Metal like older Fates Warning check out Manitou (Entrance) from 1995.

Yeah that�s a really good album. The lead vocalist later joined Spiral Architect and sings on their sole album. Both Manitou and Spiral Architect are highly recommendable IMO.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 9:46am
I heard the Manitou album a while back when we were evaluating it for the progressive metal sub on PA. I haven't heard it in a while... I'll have to give it another spin again sometime! I remember enjoying it! Thumbs Up
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Yeah that�s a really good album. The lead vocalist later joined Spiral Architect and sings on their sole album. Both Manitou and Spiral Architect are highly recommendable IMO.

Also checkout the Scariot album "Momentum Shift" with Oyvind Hgeland (Vox of Spiral Architect and Manitou).
Tech-Thrash with some progressive moments.
Though personally Spiral Architect is one of my fave Prog Metal/Math Metal Bands and Oyvind sings just about
perfect-with an experienced/matured voice and the mechanics on how to use it on top of some VERY complex
music, but never losing its melody . . . which is amazing in itself Clap.

(The great Steve DiGiorgio on Bass)

NEW "Manitou" Release for 2012!

Oyvind with Arcturus who only appeared with them Live:

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 02 Aug 2012 at 11:47pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
life93 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote life93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 10:01pm
I love all sorts of prog metal myself (Devin Townsend,Voivod,Between The Buried and Me,Savatage,Enslaved,Edge Of Sanity,etc). One of the bands I Haven't seen mentioned on this thread yet are The Ocean

really love this band, and they put on an awesome live performance, I was very fortunate to see them open for BTBAM on their last tour.

Edited by life93 - 04 Jul 2011 at 10:02pm
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 11:05pm
Awesome Band Clap

Have 3 of their albums so far, good stuff and they have an awesome web-site too Big smile.

http://www.theoceancollective.com/heliocentric/

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 04 Jul 2011 at 11:15pm

topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 4:44am
Just came back from an Animals as Leaders and Intronaut gig. Fucking awesome. Animals as Leaders is spot on flawless musicianship.

The best news is:
Tosin announced AAL just finished recording their second album.

Also, you guys should check Evan Brewer out. He was the opening act of the concert, but he's fucking awesome. Former Animosity bassist and current bassist for the Faceless.

Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Minds3ye View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minds3ye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 7:07am
Check out this band: www.mindsplit.se

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
  Share Topic