UNLEASHED — Across the Open Sea (review)

UNLEASHED — Across the Open Sea album cover Album · 1993 · Death Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
"Across the Open Sea" is the 3rd full-length studio album by Swedish death metal act Unleashed. The album was released through Century Media Records in October 1993. It´s the band´s third album in as many years. Unleashed were riding a high in those years and took full advantage of the situation by not resting on their laurels.

The music on "Across the Open Sea" pretty much continues where "Shadows in the Deep (1992)" left off. Very simple Swedish old school death metal. The viking/Norse mythology themes that the band had dipped their toes into on the previous releases are more prominant on "Across the Open Sea", which songtitles like "To Asgaard We Fly" and "In the Northern Lands" also bear witness too. In addition to the ten originals on the album the band also play a cover version of "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest.

Although the band don´t exactly excel in playing anything challenging, the musicianship is on a decent level. The sound production is relatively good sounding too but as the case were on the two predecessors Unleashed don´t favor raw brutality in their sound productions. Therefore everything is fully audible in the mix but as a consequence the production also lacks a bit of bite and power to my ears.

If you are a fan of the band´s first two albums "Across the Open Sea" belongs in your collection along with those albums. Don´t expect anything that is much different from what you heard on those two albums though. In the early days Unleashed were about tradition and not innovation (that would change slightly already on the next album though). A 3 star (60%) rating is warranted.

No Sludge Metal