Print Page | Close Window

meshuggah - thrash metal! what the hell??

Printed From: MetalMusicArchives.com
Category: Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements
Forum Name: Report errors & omissions here
Forum Description: Seen a mistake in a band bio etc then please tell us
URL: http://www.MetalMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=299
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 1:31am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: meshuggah - thrash metal! what the hell??
Posted By: idiotPrayer
Subject: meshuggah - thrash metal! what the hell??
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 8:30am
maybe prog metal, avant garde- or sludge/post metal would be more appropriate from them.

-------------
"Good taste is the enemy of creativity"
-Pablo Picasso

Replies:
Posted By: m@x
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 9:35am
Sounds right , Prog Metal team will manage this  !

Posted By: CCVP
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 4:06pm
Not actually. The band's music is firmly rooted in the most innovative and brutal thrash metal. They are one of those bands that really push the boundaries of the genre. At most you can call them progressive thrash/groove, but that's it.

I'm sorry, but I will make my stand here: they stay in thrash.

-------------

Posted By: Vehemency
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 4:08pm
Luckily we can keep the earliest albums on thrash and move the later albums to something else.

Edit: ^ Just the way I would vote for. Can't hear that much thrash on the latest full-lengths... Well I'm definitely not an expert in that area. :-)

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Vehemency Vehemency wrote:

Luckily we can keep the earliest albums on thrash and move the later albums to something else.

oh yes....  M@X?   others?

Is what I thought I read correct.... is this site going to be 'album based'.  ie ...groups are not listed by genres but sorted  in genres by albums. 

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 4:13pm

Their most progressive albums are Chaosphere and Nothing, and even so it is because of their innovations. From those they both slowed down the tempo (started grooving) and became less progressive. It is like putting Slayer on progressive metal because of Raining blood and South of Heaven. Smile

Just not happening man. Not happening.

Edit: ^ Just the way I would vote for. Can't hear that much thrash on the latest full-lengths... Well I'm definitely not an expert in that area. :-)

It is because they slowed down the tempo. They are half-way of doing groove metal. Wink And even if they ocasionally do record a groove metal album, groove is a thrash baby, so it won't change much.Smile

-------------

Posted By: m@x
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Is what I thought I read correct.... is this site going to be 'album based'.  ie ...groups are not listed by genres but sorted  in genres by albums. 

YES ! And artists with most albums in a particular genre will appears in the genre page.

Cool hey ?

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by m@x m@x wrote:

YES ! And artists with most albums in a particular genre will appears in the genre page.

Cool hey ?

not simply cool.....  it ROCKS!!!! Rawkshahah

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 4:18pm

Cool hey ?
Sort of. By this system, Genesis would be a pop band. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Cool hey ?
Sort of. By this system, Genesis would be a pop band. LOL

LOL as they should be...as they are LOL

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 4:22pm
Not really, Caio... They released at least eight fully prog studio albums (not counting their debut nor the controversial Duke), and only five (or six) pop ones, with some prog thrown in for good measure. Therefore, they would stay in a fully prog genre. 

Posted By: Vehemency
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 4:23pm
Personally I'm still a bit uncertain that a casual listener will find the material from Chaosphere onwards really thrash metal... But I will leave this for the experts. Tongue

Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 4:33pm
I�m in total agreement with Caio ( CCVP) here. They may not sound anything like Slayer, Testament or Forbidden but their music is deeply rooted in Thrash metal. Progressive metal on MMA should be reserved for Dream Theater and the clonesWink. I don�t really see any other genre than Thrash Metal ( and I mean all their albums) that would fit. A modern hybrid of Thrash metal but still Thrash metal when placing them in the current subs.

-------------
http://www.lyngby-boldklub.dk/" rel="nofollow - Forever TRUE - Forever BLUE!
https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Posted By: idiotPrayer
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 4:34pm
only meshuggahs debut may be called fully thrash metal. they were originally influenced by thrash, and then created something unique. and to say that they just slowed down the tempo is wrong. what they really did is that they became more innovative and unique = what prog metal is all about. it's a common misbelief that prog metal should be all about "look-what-i-can-do" and technicality, eg symphony x or dream theater.

catch 33 consists of ONE 45 min long song (13 tracks). not a single one off the riffs here are typical thrash metal riffs. still, there is place for complex arrangements, mechanically advancing, oddball tempos, ambient sounds and quieter dynamics, noise, electronics, programming and "robotic voices", tribal percussion and whispered vocals. 'nuff said

-------------
"Good taste is the enemy of creativity"
-Pablo Picasso

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Not really, Caio... They released at least eight fully prog studio albums (not counting their debut nor the controversial Duke), and only five (or six) pop ones, with some prog thrown in for good measure. Therefore, they would stay in a fully prog genre. 

Yes Raff but think what would have happened if they had continued to produce pop albumsConfused. The balance would have shiftedBig smile. The system isn�t waterproof but what system is?

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 5:12pm
No one, indeedWink!

Posted By: The T 666
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 5:24pm
Messhugah in prog-metal would be almost an aberration. They are so different from the core bands of the genre (DT, FW) that it would be quite bizarre to put them in the same genre. Remember, on this site we HAVE the variety of metal options to put bands where they belong... As I have said, Metal itself has 23821031 genres (check metal-archives or metal-observer for a clue)  but we can work with what we have here. 

I think Thrash and industrial/groove is a good idea....they have elements of all of that.... In reality, is a new sound, based on polyrhythms and percussion-like riffs.... They're not proper thrash, but they're more thrash than prog-metal at least... 

They're a genre of their own. I'd put them in industrial metal if only for the machine-like sound they have... 

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by idiotPrayer idiotPrayer wrote:

only meshuggahs debut may be called fully thrash metal. they were originally influenced by thrash, and then created something unique. and to say that they just slowed down the tempo is wrong. what they really did is that they became more innovative and unique = what prog metal is all about. it's a common misbelief that prog metal should be all about "look-what-i-can-do" and technicality, eg symphony x or dream theater.

catch 33 consists of ONE 45 min long song (13 tracks). not a single one off the riffs here are typical thrash metal riffs. still, there is place for complex arrangements, mechanically advancing, oddball tempos, ambient sounds and quieter dynamics, noise, electronics, programming and "robotic voices", tribal percussion and whispered vocals. 'nuff said

Dude, listen, I know what you mean. I really do. But the thing is, thrash metal continued past the 80's. This band brings the thrash metal sound to the present instead of keeping it on the 80's, like the majority of thrash metal band do.

Are they progressive? Yes, but Slayer, Morbid Angel and Kreator also were and they are nowhere near progressive metal. Meshuggah may generate discussions like this because they are a truelly progressive metal band, but the thing is, they are more representative to thrash metal than they are to progressive metal.Smile

Besides, the progressive metal genres in PA are sort of a dumping ground for every aspect of progressive heavy metal, so don't use it as a measuring stick here. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 5:26pm

Should we count the singles, "best of"s and related then?  LOL

-------------

Posted By: topofsm
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 6:21pm
Plus you have to realize that for most cases the site's decided to put all the extreme progressive metal bands in the subgenre most associated with them other than progressive metal. Meshuggah's definitely progressive thrash, so for this site it's the obvious fit.

Now Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects, on the other hand, I believe a perfect fit for avant-garde, yet it's still in thrash.

-------------
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 6:30pm

then there is the whole matter...   and trust me.. it makes a difference being a veteran of PA's.... how is the group perceived.   Genesis is known as a pop group by 99% of the music listening public...  and others like Deep Purple had almost as many 'heavy prog' albums as Genesis had symphonic prog albums... yet to some.. considering Deep Purple prog is a matter of revising history.   And Genesis wasn't?

it is a funny business putting a round group in a square hole....  glad to see that albums can be placed in different subs based on content.. not simply labels or perception.   Not sure if there is as much variety within metal (across the various sub-genres per album) as there was with prog...  but if there is (that is for the experts to know and decide)... this site has a mechanism in place to deal with it.

kudos again M@X...Clap

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 7:09pm
Thrash Metal is fine for me. They have nothing in common with progressive metal.
I know metalheads that would kill me if I told them Meshuggah play prog metal.

Also I wouldn't consider Voivod and Mekong Delta prog metal bands. They are a Thrash Metal band as well with some proginess here and there in their later albums.

Posted By: Harry
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 3:13am
The core of Meshuggah's sound has definitely been either thrash or groove metal (groove is listed as a sub genre of thrash under this site's definition anyway) depending on the album or even particular songs (e.g like obZen which featured the thrash metal of Combustion, while the rest of the album was rooted in groove metal).
The prog/experimental/avant garde aspect of of the band has always been secondary to their core sound of thrash and groove metal, which is why it makes perfect sense to slot them under thrash metal here.

To be honest most fans wouldn't even see them as a "prog" metal band at all. I certainly don't and this is coming from someone who thinks they put on one of the mos amazing live shows ever and owns most of their studio full lengths. To me, and most other fans, they've always been a thrash/groove metal band

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 4:48am

^I fully agree with you Harry. MMA definitions are very different from the ones on PA and we should think of MMA definitions on this site and not confuse them with PA definitions of what�s progressive or not. Old habits die hard and for some of us PA regulars there will be other challenges like this one to consider. Harry talks about the core sound of the band and that�s what I think we should be looking at too. 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 5:37am

then there is the whole matter...   and trust me.. it makes a difference being a veteran of PA's.... how is the group perceived.   Genesis is known as a pop group by 99% of the music listening public...  and others like Deep Purple had almost as many 'heavy prog' albums as Genesis had symphonic prog albums... yet to some.. considering Deep Purple prog is a matter of revising history.   And Genesis wasn't?

it is a funny business putting a round group in a square hole....  glad to see that albums can be placed in different subs based on content.. not simply labels or perception.   Not sure if there is as much variety within metal (across the various sub-genres per album) as there was with prog...  but if there is (that is for the experts to know and decide)... this site has a mechanism in place to deal with it.

kudos again M@X...Clap

I wasn't being serious, you know . . . . . Not even on my first post about Genesis.Wink

The fact that you and Raff still don't get the joke is what makes it funnier. LOLLOL Relax people, this ain't progarchives, you don't have to back up every point you make because people are too blind to see the obviousness of it. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 4:42pm
hahha....   you'll get used to my posting style Caio...it is a bit odd.   I knew it was a joke, yet served a purpose in my evil plans of internet domination hahha.  I have the maddening habit of quoting one person.. using their posts....and yet speaking to others LOL  Having received a PM on PA's... I see the person it was addressed to ...read it LOLLOLHeart

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 5:57pm

hahha....   you'll get used to my posting style Caio...it is a bit odd.   I knew it was a joke, yet served a purpose in my evil plans of internet domination hahha.  I have the maddening habit of quoting one person.. using their posts....and yet speaking to others LOL  Having received a PM on PA's... I see the person it was addressed to ...read it LOLLOLHeart
Edited by Raff - Today at 7:08pm

You guys have some serious personality problem LOLLOLTongue

Lova ya both anyway HeartSmile

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 6:17pm
Well, he called you Ciao instead of CaioLOL...

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 6:23pm
hahhahah.... yeah... that needed to be editted... but yeah...  we ain't exactly normal i suspect LOL

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 6:24pm
I'm  glad that's fixed, cuz I would be f**king pisssed to see that Angry LOL.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 6:26pm

she does look after me LOLHeart

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 6:29pm

She'd better. Or else I'll kill everyone and burn everything to ashes Angry. Ther rest you know. . . .LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 6:32pm

She'd better. Or else I'll kill everyone and burn everything to ashes Angry. Ther rest you know. . . .LOL

yeah...  considering I am predisposed to getting myself in trouble.. she'd better.  It isn't like we are on a prog forum ...populated with pansies and pussies...  I'm on a metal forum now....Shocked best have my better half....  watch my back or someone might kick my ass back into the stoneage LOL

Posted By: Sckxyss
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 1:20am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^I fully agree with you Harry. MMA definitions are very different from the ones on PA and we should think of MMA definitions on this site and not confuse them with PA definitions of what�s progressive or not. Old habits die hard and for some of us PA regulars there will be other challenges like this one to consider. Harry talks about the core sound of the band and that�s what I think we should be looking at too. 

Agreed. Progressive Metal here looks like it means specifically "Prog Metal", the unique and defined genre, rather than the adjective "progressive", which could apply to bands of any style of metal.

Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

Plus you have to realize that for most cases the site's decided to put all the extreme progressive metal bands in the subgenre most associated with them other than progressive metal. Meshuggah's definitely progressive thrash, so for this site it's the obvious fit.

Now Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects, on the other hand, I believe a perfect fit for avant-garde, yet it's still in thrash.

This, however, I agree should be moved to avant-garde metal.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk