Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.MetalMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12644
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 11:34am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Top 15 Death Metal Albums
Posted By: Unitron
Subject: Top 15 Death Metal Albums
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 1:40am
I was thinking about this today, so what's everyone's favorite death metal albums? 

Here's what my top 15 may look like:
Obituary - World Demise
Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine
Dying Fetus - Destroy the Opposition
Obituary - The End Complete
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Acrostichon - Engraved in Black
Carcass - Necroticism
Morbid Angel - Covenant
Atheist - Piece of Time
Nile - What Should Not Be Unearthed
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
Sepultura - Schizophrenia
Cancer - Sins of Mankind
Death - Symbolic
Obituary - Obituary

It's hard to stop at 15, originally this was going to just be 10. LOL

-------------
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme

Replies:
Posted By: adg211288
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 1:43am
As you may be aware my relationship with death metal is hit and miss and I've long been on a project to revise my older ratings. For now here's five albums I know will keep their 5 star ratings.

Augury - Concealed
Arch Enemy - War Eternal
Lascaille's Shroud - The Roads Leading North
MaYaN - Antagonise
Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest 

-------------
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
https://premium.gg2u.org?referrer=adg211288" rel="nofollow - GG2U

https://adamsfilmcorner.quora.com/" rel="nofollow - Adam's Film Corner on Quora

Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 3:23am
It´s an almost impossible task (but it´s always nice to be inspired and to inspire others to listen to what you think is great), and I´ll probably forget some albums, which deserve a place here, but I´ll give it a try:

Macabre - Dahmer (not strictly a death metal release, but Macabre are mostly accepted as death metal).
Morgoth - Odium (I know most people would mention "Cursed" instead of "Odium", but I love the post-apocalyptic atmosphere of Odium).
Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients (it could also have been Consuming Impulse. I love that album too)
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence (today it´s probably not counted as death metal, but back then it was considered a weird jazzy form of death metal)
Carcass - Necroticism
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey (I´m not a huge fan of their black metal releases, but their death metal debut album...hell yeah)
Entombed - Clandestine
Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream (which is the only Dismember album I´m interested in. The rest are sub par to this one).
Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick (could have been Altars of Madness or Covenant too, but Blessed...always thrilled me a bit more)
Benediction - The Grand Leveller
Bolt Thrower - ...for Victory (could have been a few of the others too)
Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption (their only "true" death metal album)
Deicide - Deicide (the debut album had a huge impact on me when it was released. Sadly they were never able to follow it up with something of equal or better quality).
Death - Human (could have been Symbolic too)
Edge of Sanity - Unorthodox
Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh
Suffocation - Pierced from Within 
Dying Fetus - Destroy the Opposition (all their albums are great, but this one and the predecessor are the strongest IMO)
Obituary - The End Complete (Obituary are incredibly consistent in style and quality, but this album is just a notch above the rest IMO).
Black Breath - Slaves Beyond Death (this album deserves far more attention than it has gotten. Had this been released in the early 90s, it would have been a death metal hit).
Atrocity - Hallucinations (this one seems like it´s been forgotten by time, and the fact that Atrocity changed their sound drastically throughout the years probably hasn´t helped either. If you haven´t heard of this album already, give it shot. It´s killer technical death metal with a great concept story).
Cynic - Focus (well not strictly a death metal release, but it was considered part of the scene back then)
Decapitated - Nihility (I love Organic Hallucinosis too. Vogg´s riffs floor me everytime I listen to Decapitated)
Nile - What Should Not Be Unearthed (could have been a few others too)
Malevolent Creation - The Ten Commandments
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Zyklon - World ov Worms 

OK, I know that was a few more than 15, but this is probably my favorite style of music, so I couldn´t help myself.

-------------
http://www.lyngby-boldklub.dk/" rel="nofollow - Forever TRUE - Forever BLUE!
https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 10:39am
Impossible!...might change tomorrow but here goes...

Immolation - Close To a World Below
Immolation - Atonement
Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest
Nile - What Should Not be Unearthed
Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis
Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness
Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
Vader - De Profundis
At The Gates - At War With Reality (Yes, even better than Slaughter Of The Soul!)
Suffocation - Pinnacle Of Bedlam
Unleashed - Midvinterblot
Gorguts - Coloured Sands
Immolation - Majesty And Decay
Bolt Thrower - ..For Victory ...or... perhaps another...(too many good ones to choose from)
Carcass - Heartwork

Posted By: Unitron
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 11:18am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

It´s an almost impossible task (but it´s always nice to be inspired and to inspire others to listen to what you think is great), and I´ll probably forget some albums, which deserve a place here, but I´ll give it a try:

Macabre - Dahmer (not strictly a death metal release, but Macabre are mostly accepted as death metal).
Morgoth - Odium (I know most people would mention "Cursed" instead of "Odium", but I love the post-apocalyptic atmosphere of Odium).
Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients (it could also have been Consuming Impulse. I love that album too)
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence (today it´s probably not counted as death metal, but back then it was considered a weird jazzy form of death metal)
Carcass - Necroticism
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey (I´m not a huge fan of their black metal releases, but their death metal debut album...hell yeah)
Entombed - Clandestine
Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream (which is the only Dismember album I´m interested in. The rest are sub par to this one).
Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick (could have been Altars of Madness or Covenant too, but Blessed...always thrilled me a bit more)
Benediction - The Grand Leveller
Bolt Thrower - ...for Victory (could have been a few of the others too)
Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption (their only "true" death metal album)
Deicide - Deicide (the debut album had a huge impact on me when it was released. Sadly they were never able to follow it up with something of equal or better quality).
Death - Human (could have been Symbolic too)
Edge of Sanity - Unorthodox
Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh
Suffocation - Pierced from Within 
Dying Fetus - Destroy the Opposition (all their albums are great, but this one and the predecessor are the strongest IMO)
Obituary - The End Complete (Obituary are incredibly consistent in style and quality, but this album is just a notch above the rest IMO).
Black Breath - Slaves Beyond Death (this album deserves far more attention than it has gotten. Had this been released in the early 90s, it would have been a death metal hit).
Atrocity - Hallucinations (this one seems like it´s been forgotten by time, and the fact that Atrocity changed their sound drastically throughout the years probably hasn´t helped either. If you haven´t heard of this album already, give it shot. It´s killer technical death metal with a great concept story).
Cynic - Focus (well not strictly a death metal release, but it was considered part of the scene back then)
Decapitated - Nihility (I love Organic Hallucinosis too. Vogg´s riffs floor me everytime I listen to Decapitated)
Nile - What Should Not Be Unearthed (could have been a few others too)
Malevolent Creation - The Ten Commandments
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Zyklon - World ov Worms 

OK, I know that was a few more than 15, but this is probably my favorite style of music, so I couldn´t help myself.

I left some albums that I love out because I limited myself to 15, but I would definitely include the debut albums of Malevolent Creation, Vital Remains, and Gorefest, as well as an Entombed and Bolt Thrower album. Also I didn't think to add Opeth, but I would definitely put Still Life somewhere in my top 15.

If I tried to list a top 15 thrash metal albums, that would be an impossible task for me as thrash is probably my favorite style of music.

-------------
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme

Posted By: Vim Fuego
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

We have it listed as death metal, so that's definitive.LOL And I'm having it too.

Anyway, I'll have a go. One per band:
  1. Macabre - Dahmer
  2. Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
  3. Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubious
  4. Nile - From the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka
  5. Death - Leprosy
  6. Obituary - Slowly We Rot
  7. Entombed - Clandestine
  8. Deicide - Deicide
  9. Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
  10. Pungent Stench - Been Caught Buttering
  11. Cannibal Corpse - Butchered At Birth
  12. Disharmonic Orchestra - Not To Be Undimensional Conscious
  13. Amorphis - Elegy
  14. Benediction - Transcend The Rubicon
  15. Fear Factory - Soul of a New Machine

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 5:48am
I’ve yet to acquire many DM albums. Seems that when I select any DM album from YouTube (I try before I buy) it averages to be something like 3 in every 5 I’d like to get.
But from the handful I have so far :
NILE - In Their Darkened Shrines (though from the albums I’ve heard, they seem consistently impressive)
GORGUTS - Pleiades’ Dust (it a smidge above Colored Sands, mainly coz drummer Patrice Hamelin is a star)
OPETH - Morningrise
GERYON - s/t (rhythm section of Krallice only - love the relentless drums and bass and McMaster’s gutteral vocals)
ATHEIST - Unquestionable Presence

And being the vinyl obsessive that I am, I’m seeking out albums from Cynic, Suffocation, Death and more Nile. Only the tip of the iceberg, really.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk