Posted By: Henry Plainview
Subject: Do you believe in God?
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 1:10am
LET'S GET THIS OVER WITH RIGHT NOW!

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 1:15am
Well... Henry you sure know how to make an entrance.

-------------
http://www.lyngby-boldklub.dk/" rel="nofollow - Forever TRUE - Forever BLUE!
https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Posted By: Any Colour You Like
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 1:16am
No.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 1:41am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

What are you talking about, this is a public service! ;-)

-------------

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 1:47am
I like your sig Henry. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/I_am_A_Person" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 1:58am
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

What are you talking about, this is a public service! ;-)

LOL

-------------
http://www.lyngby-boldklub.dk/" rel="nofollow - Forever TRUE - Forever BLUE!
https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 5:46am
It seems I am the odd one outLOL

Posted By: DeathOfSeasons
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 7:05am
Can't say I do, but just about every single member of my family does.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 7:11am
I am an agnostic, so - by definition - I don't knowWink.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 7:40am
of course I do.. .why wouldn't I.  LOL  I've seen God.. and know for a fact he exists.

Don't belong to a church though... the Unitarians kicked me out for my strange beliefs LOL 

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 9:14am
I do for the bad things. Wink

Posted By: Balthamel
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 9:18am
I belive in Odin Rawksand Thor let Vallhalla rice, Loki the Shapeshifter, Fenris the Wolf, Hel the godess of Death.

Posted By: coorpz
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 11:59am
I do, but it's hard to describe. People negatively twist it in today's day and age. God to me is an idea more-so than a physical entity.

Posted By: Metalbaswee
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Balthamel Balthamel wrote:

I belive in Odin Rawksand Thor let Vallhalla rice, Loki the Shapeshifter, Fenris the Wolf, Hel the godess of Death.

And we are spiritual brothers! Rawks

-------------

Posted By: FusionKing
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 12:51pm
Nope. I'm an atheist. And a philosophy and quantum physics geek. Geek

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by coorpz coorpz wrote:

God to me is an idea more-so than a physical entity.
What does that even mean?

-------------

Posted By: MrEdifus
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 10:06pm
Personally, I don't believe there's likely to be a god, but I consider myself an Apathetic Agnostic: I don't know which belief system to believe here, if any, and I don't try to understand something that no human could ever really understand.

Posted By: The T 666
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 8:52pm
I doubt. 
But when talking metal, Valhalla, Hades, Hell and its vicinities are the answerRawks

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 8:56pm
I've been an agnostic my whole life, but in the last year or so I've been increasingly leaning towards deism. I have my reasons, but they are vague and I don't feel like going into them here.

Posted By: NJCat_11
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I've been an agnostic my whole life, but in the last year or so I've been increasingly leaning towards deism. I have my reasons, but they are vague and I don't feel like going into them here.

Deism makes a lot of sense to me as well.
He came, he created, he left; that's what it looks like down here.

*edit:  that isn't an innuendo  LOL

-------------
http://www.chess.com/members/view/NJCat?ref_id=1432587 - Come and play me at Chess.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/NJCat?feature=mhw4 - Homepage

Posted By: MovingPictures07
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 9:06pm
No, I don't.

Posted By: AceofHearts316
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 9:37pm
nope

Posted By: Citizen Erased
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 11:55am
I love that there's a headbang smiley on here. LOL Rawks
Yeah, I do, I'm Christian and won't beat around the bush in saying that. I sometimes prefer to just say I'm a follower of Jesus Christ's teachings though, such is the reputation that Christianity is given by certain sections of Christianity.

Posted By: NJCat_11
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Citizen Erased Citizen Erased wrote:

I sometimes prefer to just say I'm a follower of Jesus Christ's teachings though, such is the reputation that Christianity is given by certain sections of Christianity.

I know exactly what you mean.

-------------
http://www.chess.com/members/view/NJCat?ref_id=1432587 - Come and play me at Chess.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/NJCat?feature=mhw4 - Homepage

Posted By: Balthamel
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 12:07pm
I like to think of me as a free spirt that can believe in anything I also believe in life in the outer space, I think probably their is some sort of seamonster somewhere, (probably not in the Lock Ness but somwhere you can find a huge serpent),
I don't belive in ghost, well not 100% but i belive in energy.

i belive in Pok�mon and I think they exist Big smile (or rather I wished it was like that, then I would have quitet everithing about normal life, and walked around and captured Pok�mon)

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 3:37pm
Yes, I am a Christian.

Posted By: Reed Lover
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 7:32am

I'm the guy with the beer...

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 7:47am
'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

Mohandas Gandhi

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 6:52pm
I guess I'm an atheist...  I "was" a Christian, but I have a really tough time believing any of it nowadays... everyone in my family is a Christian though, so I kinda have to go with the flow...

-------------
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I guess I'm an atheist...  I "was" a Christian, but I have a really tough time believing any of it nowadays... everyone in my family is a Christian though, so I kinda have to go with the flow...

yeah you sort of have to roll with the flow don't you... best to ride the church pew than fight with the parental/family units. 

as far as faith... it is simply something you'll find.. or not find.  Life does have funny way of enhancing your faith.. or completely destroying it LOL

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 7:57pm
I don't know and I don't f**king care

If I go to Heaven, sweet, eternal bliss.

If I just wither away and snuff out, couldn't care less because I'll be DEAD. I won't know.

If I go to Hell, screw it. It's warm, probably has metal and I know people there already.

Win win situation as far as I see it.

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 7:59pm
OK I understand it reads "God" and not afterlife, so I'll explain my views on God.

NOBODY KNOWS FOR SURE.

And if scientists, philosophers and all those other people that are a hell of a lot smarter than I am don't know, then I'll never find out. I don't really want to know, it won't make my life any different, it'll probably just disappoint me.

Posted By: Evolutionary Sleeper
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 10:09pm
No. ::flees this thread never to return::

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 3:23am
And man created gods....generally for the worst

DarwinHug & Big BangShockedConfused WinkDoes this mean Gang Bang allowed on priestesses???TongueLOL

-------------
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 11:12am
^You've made far better (and classier) jokes than that one before.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 11:35am
Originally posted by The T 666 The T 666 wrote:

I agreeEmbarrassed
Can't win them allBig smile

Let's try this one....

Why is the Church against aborption????

Coz they fear the lack of future and potential victims for their pedophile priests.

Still not good???SmileConfused

OK, strike 2Wink

-------------
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Posted By: Sleeper
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

And man created gods....generally for the worst

DarwinHug�& Big BangShockedConfusedWinkDoes this mean Gang Bang allowed on priestesses???TongueLOL

I think you need the bald angels to tum up first.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 4:08pm

I agreeEmbarrassed

Let's try this one....

Coz they fear the lack of future and potential victims for their pedophile priests.

OK, strike 2Wink

just watch out for the next pitch... it might be thrown at your melon LOLLOL

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 4:41pm

I agreeEmbarrassed

Let's try this one....

OK, strike 2Wink

Even in a metal forum, that joke is too harsh... There are christian and catholic metal fans, too... And while I'm not a particular fan of religion or the church in general, I would understand if religious people get upset. 

We all know each other right now but we're getting new members every day. Let's give them a better welcome...Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 4:48pm

in baseball parlance.... that is a warning..

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 4:13am

I agreeEmbarrassed

Let's try this one....

OK, strike 2Wink

Even in a metal forum, that joke is too harsh... There are christian and catholic metal fans, too... And while I'm not a particular fan of religion or the church in general, I would understand if religious people get upset. 

We all know each other right now but we're getting new members every day. Let's give them a better welcome...Wink

I'll behave, promised!!!Wink

I'm particularly anti-church because I had to fight out of the "catholic thing"  >>> I had to lie and invent bad deeds to the priest in confession (mainly coz he copuldn'ty believe we were good kids, probably) >>> not only did that crack me up, but the priest wanted to spank me for making a mockery of this "rite" (I was 7 and I am NOT kidding)

-------------

Posted By: 1967/ 1976
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 4:17am
I like to believe in God do not go to church (except for weddings, funerals, religious holidays ...) but I gladly visit historic churches, abbeys, monasteries and chapels. I find this very beautiful form of architecture and art.

I don't know if God exists. But if you read what I wrote you understand why I believe in God!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 5:06am

I agreeEmbarrassed

Let's try this one....

OK, strike 2Wink
You, uh, didn't get how stupid that joke is the first time you tried it on PA?

I'll behave, promised!!!Wink

I'm particularly anti-church because I had to fight out of the "catholic thing"  >>> I had to lie and invent bad deeds to the priest in confession (mainly coz he copuldn'ty believe we were good kids, probably) >>> not only did that crack me up, but the priest wanted to spank me for making a mockery of this "rite" (I was 7 and I am NOT kidding)
You sure don't sound like a "good kid"...

-------------

Posted By: Sleepwalker
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 5:59am
People, if this thread gets out of control the admin team will have to lock it. I don't think anybody wants that, so don't let it happen. 

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 7:25am

OK, strike 2Wink
You, uh, didn't get how stupid that joke is the first time you tried it on PA?

It's not stupid at all and if you start thinking about it the churches should maybe shut the hell up about aboption when seeing what they do to the kids once they grow up a bit, >>> and I'm not just talking about pedophelia here, but brainwashing with dogmas and doctrines

When II made it up, the 15 persons that were around all laughed their hearts.out

I agree that in PA, the moment in the thread could've been better chosen when I posted it

You sure don't sound like a "good kid"...

I was not.... my only "sin" was to lie to the priestLOL, but I couldn't tell him to mind his own business for fear of a bad grade (yup Catholic schooling included going to confession back thenDead)

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 7:29am
Originally posted by Sleepwalker Sleepwalker wrote:

People, if this thread gets out of control the admin team will have to lock it. I don't think anybody wants that, so don't let it happen. 

I was going to stop posting in here, but HP's response needed a reply.

Actually from the usual PA experience, it's better not to open such threads, because they usually end up in fights, insults and thread closure

-------------------------------------------------

To avoid posting more on this thread, I'm answering the post after mine in this very post hereWink

I don't see how my posts in this thread were not respecting or insulting the other members, so I don't feel aimed at, and the only reason I'm answering you is because you starte your post with a "^"

V V  V  V V V

-------------

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 10:02am
^That's silly. We shouldn't discuss serious things, because someone might say something insulting?

How about we just try to be respectful of each other instead of shutting down discussion?

-------------
Those who know what's best for us must rise and save us from ourselves.

Posted By: Marty McFly
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 3:14pm
Why I should ?

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah you sort of have to roll with the flow don't you... best to ride the church pew than fight with the parental/family units. 

as far as faith... it is simply something you'll find.. or not find.  Life does have funny way of enhancing your faith.. or completely destroying it LOL

One of the things that contributed to my lack of religious beliefs (more than you might think, actually) is the entire "Santa Claus" thing. I remember when I was about 10 years old and one of my friends told me that Santa Claus wasn't real. I searched my entire house in search of presents wrapped in decorative paper, and when I found those presents I was a little devastated. I had believed in something that is so ridiculous and absurd wholeheartedly, only to find out that it's a lie.

It seems silly to think that anyone would believe in such a thing, but if no one had ever told me that Santa doesn't exist, I (or anyone else) would still believe in Santa Claus to this day. Isn't religion the same way?

-------------
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 4:09pm

One of the things that contributed to my lack of religious beliefs (more than you might think, actually) is the entire "Santa Claus" thing. I remember when I was about 10 years old and one of my friends told me that Santa Claus wasn't real. I searched my entire house in search of presents wrapped in decorative paper, and when I found those presents I was a little devastated. I had believed in something that is so ridiculous and absurd wholeheartedly, only to find out that it's a lie.

It seems silly to think that anyone would believe in such a thing, but if no one had ever told me that Santa doesn't exist, I (or anyone else) would still believe in Santa Claus to this day. Isn't religion the same way?

that's really interesting Jeff... and you have a point.. 'Isn't religion the same way?' you ask.  Of course it is... Clap it is ALL about faith.

For many years as I said before I was agnositic..  I could deny the existance of God no more than I could accept God's existence and to be honest... I had more 'important' things in life to deal with than such nebulous questions.  As I've grown older.. seen a lot of things.. a lot of very bad things...horrible things..and  a lot of things that verge on miracles..  I finally decided to tackle my own personal beliefs, and found what my faith was. .and what I actually had faith IN. 

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 5:06pm
I voted yes.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/I_am_A_Person" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 7:11pm

that's really interesting Jeff... and you have a point.. 'Isn't religion the same way?' you ask.  Of course it is... Clap it is ALL about faith.

For many years as I said before I was agnositic..  I could deny the existance of God no more than I could accept God's existence and to be honest... I had more 'important' things in life to deal with than such nebulous questions.  As I've grown older.. seen a lot of things.. a lot of very bad things...horrible things..and  a lot of things that verge on miracles..  I finally decided to tackle my own personal beliefs, and found what my faith was. .and what I actually had faith IN. 

Clap Very true. I guess I'm agnostic similarly as you are, even though I've declared myself atheist. There is no way that we can prove that God exists or not until we die, but I choose not to believe in it. As I become more of a history geek, learning about religious wars and religions that make even less sense than the popular modern day ones, it all negatively impacts my faith in any form of religion. It seems to me that religion often presents these perfect ideological situations, but the religious wars (that still exist today) don't even follow any of the concepts of the reasons they are fighting in the first place!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 8:16pm

Clap Very true. I guess I'm agnostic similarly as you are, even though I've declared myself atheist. There is no way that we can prove that God exists or not until we die, but I choose not to believe in it. As I become more of a history geek, learning about religious wars and religions that make even less sense than the popular modern day ones, it all negatively impacts my faith in any form of religion. It seems to me that religion often presents these perfect ideological situations, but the religious wars (that still exist today) don't even follow any of the concepts of the reasons they are fighting in the first place!

wow.. nice post.. and you touch on many things there.. not trying to convert you.. only engage you. Nice to discuss the subject without flames and grenades going off LOL

*ex-agnostic*Wink I was in my youth.. but through my own personal hells.. the Gulf War, a real bout of Alcoholism, a personally destructive and unhappy marriage to a person completely unsuited to me and finally the implosion of that marriage, of which my beliefs contributed to at the end. I found my faith.  Though it is odd... it is my personal one.  I am a strong believer in the existence of God.. but not a Christian nor do I believe in the Bible as anything more than parable on how you should live your life..  put forth by those whose only concern.. was something more worldly and crass than your or my salvation (enough said on that).  But you don't shoot the corrupt messenger for the message. Honestly Jeff.. it is why I have come across as so condescending at times to some of our more strident.. and opinionated younger posters on the other forum and why I finally stayed away from those discussions.  Live a little bit.. then lecture those that have lived a life... about life. 

As I said earlier Jeff and I really mean it.. and believe it..  as you grow older.. you will experience things that will shape your faith... either to find God ..as I did.. or not.  Unlike Santa..  there is no answer to be found in this lifetime..  it is all based upon faith.  I too am a history buff and know as you do the destructive impact of religion on world history..  between religion and nationalism (or both wearing the same dress) they have probably far more harm to the world than good.

However...  ask yourself Jeff.. do you blame God.. or question God for the ineptness.. the corruption of those who claim to follow or speak for God.  That is an answer one can only answer for himself..

Posted By: elder08
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Balthamel Balthamel wrote:

HAHA lol not critizing you but those gods (like greek gods) disappear and lose all power and cant gain it back after they lose the majority of theyre beleivers fun fact hehe

-------------
I scrolled through the offended page and listened to cannibal corpse while masturbating.-elder08

Posted By: elder08
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 2:22pm
I really hate atheists that argue with me though if i invite them to church a simple yes or no is needed not an arguement about why my god is not worthy or some stuff like that I asume you guise actually are the oppisite and dont care of other peoples religions and dont mind going to a church

-------------
I scrolled through the offended page and listened to cannibal corpse while masturbating.-elder08

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 3:14pm
^I would try not using the word "hate" though. It only makes the problems you mention stronger. Can't you just say "I can't stand" them?

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 5:00pm

wow.. nice post.. and you touch on many things there.. not trying to convert you.. only engage you. Nice to discuss the subject without flames and grenades going off LOL

*ex-agnostic*Wink I was in my youth.. but through my own personal hells.. the Gulf War, a real bout of Alcoholism, a personally destructive and unhappy marriage to a person completely unsuited to me and finally the implosion of that marriage, of which my beliefs contributed to at the end. I found my faith.  Though it is odd... it is my personal one.  I am a strong believer in the existence of God.. but not a Christian nor do I believe in the Bible as anything more than parable on how you should live your life..  put forth by those whose only concern.. was something more worldly and crass than your or my salvation (enough said on that).  But you don't shoot the corrupt messenger for the message. Honestly Jeff.. it is why I have come across as so condescending at times to some of our more strident.. and opinionated younger posters on the other forum and why I finally stayed away from those discussions.  Live a little bit.. then lecture those that have lived a life... about life. 

As I said earlier Jeff and I really mean it.. and believe it..  as you grow older.. you will experience things that will shape your faith... either to find God ..as I did.. or not.  Unlike Santa..  there is no answer to be found in this lifetime..  it is all based upon faith.  I too am a history buff and know as you do the destructive impact of religion on world history..  between religion and nationalism (or both wearing the same dress) they have probably far more harm to the world than good.

However...  ask yourself Jeff.. do you blame God.. or question God for the ineptness.. the corruption of those who claim to follow or speak for God.  That is an answer one can only answer for himself..

That's just it... there is likely to be some God somewhere out there... but your Gandhi quote summed it all up for me. I guess I'll try to live a few more years before I get too involved with this thread though... LOL

-------------

Posted By: jampa17
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 3:56pm
Well... nobody knows it for sure and that's why this poll exists... is about what we "believe" and not what we know... so... I do believe in God, totally... I use to say I see Gods blessing hand every single day... now I'm too silly, lazy and procastinate too much to see it... but I'm convince we are not alone... God exists... yes... and I know many people disbelieve just to not risk... and I don't know... that's the importance of faith... God is there for us... if we believe it...

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 4:12pm

That's just it... there is likely to be some God somewhere out there... but your Gandhi quote summed it all up for me. I guess I'll try to live a few more years before I get too involved with this thread though... LOL

if you have some spare time.. and of course the inclination... try reading up on Hinduism.  Fascinating religion.. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 4:33pm

if you have some spare time.. and of course the inclination... try reading up on Hinduism.  Fascinating religion.. Thumbs Up

I've done reading mostly focused on Christianity and Islam (these both have wonderful histories), but I'll have to check out some books on Hinduism now that you mention it. I've watched a few programs about it on the history channel whenever I have 2 or 3 hours to kill, but I've never done any proper reading on that religion,,,,

-------------

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 3:58am
I believe in a God as in eru or illuvatar...

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 7:03am

I've done reading mostly focused on Christianity and Islam (these both have wonderful histories), but I'll have to check out some books on Hinduism now that you mention it. I've watched a few programs about it on the history channel whenever I have 2 or 3 hours to kill, but I've never done any proper reading on that religion,,,,

you've got that right Jeff... much like Christianity (in my eyes)... Islam is a beautiful and a fascinating religion... unfortunately corrupted ...or ...more accurately.. misinterpreted...by those who claim to be followers.

Not that Hinduism doesn't have it's fanatics or wack-jobs... look at Nathuaram Godse. Though extremist fringes of the Hindu faith tend to be more extreme nationalists.. than religious extremists (then again with history of India..  that is two sides of the same coin)  one of the many things that really drew me to the Hindu faith was it's tolerance and acceptance of other faiths. I'm not a practicing Hindu per se (I do love my BBQ hahahWink)... but let's say that of core beliefs... they mirror mine to a T.

definitely check it out Jeff.. a lot to love there... and a fascinating religion.. and also a VERY rich history.. as is the history of  India.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 4:22pm

I've done reading mostly focused on Christianity and Islam (these both have wonderful histories), but I'll have to check out some books on Hinduism now that you mention it. I've watched a few programs about it on the history channel whenever I have 2 or 3 hours to kill, but I've never done any proper reading on that religion....

you've got that right Jeff... much like Christianity (in my eyes)... Islam is a beautiful and a fascinating religion... unfortunately corrupted ...or ...more accurately.. misinterpreted...by those who claim to be followers.

Not that Hinduism doesn't have it's fanatics or wack-jobs... look at Nathuaram Godse. Though extremist fringes of the Hindu faith tend to be more extreme nationalists.. than religious extremists (then again with history of India..  that is two sides of the same coin)  one of the many things that really drew me to the Hindu faith was it's tolerance and acceptance of other faiths. I'm not a practicing Hindu per se (I do love my BBQ hahahWink)... but let's say that of core beliefs... they mirror mine to a T.

definitely check it out Jeff.. a lot to love there... and a fascinating religion.. and also a VERY rich history.. as is the history of  India.

Thanks Micky. I might have to head to the library this weekend.... any recommendations?

-------------

Posted By: Phonebook Eater
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 2:12pm
I like to think that there's someone up there that watches us... Sometimes notBig smileCensored

Posted By: Falx
Date Posted: 13 May 2010 at 2:54am
^ Ceiling Cat, and he's watching you doing that...

=F=

-------------
"Video meliora proboque deteriora sequor"

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 5:31am
God exists

that much is certain

I have experienced His love and as a Christian I can trust Him with everything I have  

-------------
GLAM METAL!

Posted By: justametalfan
Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 5:43am
For me there is no god because i don't need one.

Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 5:51am
^Its not a matter of needing one, if He is real, doesnt he deserve something form us His creation

All He asks for is for us to believe in faith 

-------------
GLAM METAL!

Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 8:07am
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

God exists

that much is certain

I have experienced His love and as a Christian I can trust Him with everything I have  

How can you be certain when there is no physical evidence to prove so. Do you believe every electrical impulse interpreted by your brain? How do you know that what you feel or see, is actually what exists in physical form?

Can you be certain that there is not a pink mammoth orbiting Saturn as we speak?

Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 12:32pm

God exists

that much is certain

I don't think that can be certain except for each individual person. But it can't be used as an absolute for everybody. 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 1:44pm
It all comes down to faith. There may be a mammoth circling Saturn but that makes no difference to my life. God does make a difference - He changed my life and why should anyone have a problem with that?. Shouldn't you be happy that a life was changed from dark to light due to a faith in God. even if you do not believeI have a right to believe and express that belief as much as you are expressing your disbeliefs so freely.  The truth will set you free but you have to take the first step and actually believ the existence of god. if you are unwilling to cross that bridge nothing else can benefit - you will forever miss out on what God has in store for your life. Faith is the key, the substance of things hoped for. Belief is integral. God gave His son that we may have eternal life and not perish. That life is freely given.

-------------
GLAM METAL!

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 1:48pm
No.

Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

God exists

that much is certain

How can you be certain when there is no physical evidence to prove so. Do you believe every electrical impulse interpreted by your brain? How do you know that what you feel or see, is actually what exists in physical form?

Can you be certain that there is not a pink mammoth orbiting Saturn as we speak?

There is nothing you could say that will change his mind. He's got it made up, already. He doesn't need evidence because he uses gut feelings and coincidences to justify what he read in an old book. You or I call that delusion, but he calls it 'faith'.

Unbelief is just a dark room where people develop their negatives.   

I take huge offense at that statement. I was once a Christian, and despite my beliefs I did not judge others who did not share the same faith as I did. I was surrounded by judgmental Christ followers who claimed that anybody who did not believe in anything must be full of negativity and/or be very unhappy. I hated that attitude when I was in, and I still hate it now. Dropping my belief in a fictional God that will never be proven did absolutely nothing to my moral compass or my overall attitude towards other people. I'd like to think I'm a stand-up citizen who is kind to my fellow man, loves my family and overall enjoys life. If simply not believing in your sky god isn't good enough for you, then you're the one who has developed your negatives, not me. I could never paint such a broad picture of an entire group of people the way you just did with non-believers. 

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 2:04pm
Guys, let's try to keep it as civil as possible, please... I know, no one has stepped over the line yet, but we all know how delicate such issues can be.

Personally, I tend to agree with what Micah wrote in the last paragraph of his post (nice to see you here, btwSmile!), since I used to be a practicing Catholic up until the age of 20 or so, and have encountered similar attitudes throughout the years. A couple of years ago a lady who still lives in my condo building in Rome told me I had to be religious because I had been taught so by my familyShocked! However, using disparaging terms or attitudes when talking about religious people is not a nice thing either.

Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 2:20pm
^ Thanks, Raff, Good to be here.

Please know that all I am doing to trying to defend my position, here. When somebody depicts me and all who share my belief (or lack thereof) in a negative light, I tend to get my feathers ruffled. ACR is always judging and proclaiming his opinions as fact, whether it's about God, parenting, sex, etc. and I guess I got a little sick of it for the moment. 

Meant no harm to him personally, of course. He's welcome to give a just-as-impassioned post right back to me, if he wishes. Wink

Posted By: jampa17
Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 6:17pm
What surprises me is how Atomic Scott has time to post here while he is raining down over PA and MMA with reviews with no stops...!!! that's a men that believes...!!! Smile

Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 7:46pm

Unbelief is just a dark room where people develop their negatives.  

Unbelief is a natural state. Unbelief is the existence of everything and nothing in harmony. Unbelief is the acceptance of the beauty of life at the most basic level, existence.

Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 8:27pm
^ Your avatar looks great on black! Wink lol

Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

What surprises me is how Atomic Scott has time to post here while he is raining down over PA and MMA with reviews with no stops...!!! that's a men that believes...!!! Smile
Yeah, hi mate. Obviously we picked the right thread to get the poarty started. here I have been here the space of a whole day and already have stirred up a hornet's nestLOL 

Its not my fault some bright spark decided to make a thread about the belief or non belief in God.

But I am not going to pretend he doesn't mean anything to my life.

-------------
GLAM METAL!

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 8:22am

Unbelief is a natural state. Unbelief is the existence of everything and nothing in harmony. Unbelief is the acceptance of the beauty of life at the most basic level, existence.
[/QUOTE]
Sorry I got a bit heated there in the heat of the moment (Asia)  and have had time to reflect on that comment now thta the dust has settled, and yeah it was quite over the top and I apologise for anyone I offended as i can tell you sincerley it was not intentional.

-------------
GLAM METAL!

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 11:38pm
I'm Catholic....so I am taught to believe in Him....but I am also smart enough to make my own decisions, about everything.
There is no amount of Catechism classes I took as a child to teach me there is a God. As a grown man, I firmly believe I made my decision on my own at a very young age.

I do believe in God.

-------------
US Festival '83 "Heavy Metal Sunday" Survivor....

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 1:12pm

As I said earlier, I am an atheist, however I did not go into detail regarding my beliefs. The way I think of it, is that god(s) cannot exist as the powers required to be a god cannot work together. A god would need to be both almighty and all knowing in order to be a perfect being. This is the big problem, to be almighty, the god must have freewill to do as it pleases, but if the god is all knowing too, it has no freewill, the god is bound to doing only the things that it already foresaw itself doing in future. This trapped cycle of being able to do nothing but what was already destined makes the god an imperfect being and therefore, not a god.

However, I also feel it is wrong to say "you die, that's it" like many atheists. Who said that eternal being goes only to those who are theist? No way! Any decent science class teaches you, "energy is constant, it has no point of creation and no end point, it simply changes its function".
 Now add that thought to this other peice of scientific info, "The brain's basic functions can be traced but actual thoughts and emotions in our heads cannot". No one can do a catscan on the depressed and say, 'we've found the root of your sadness sir'. Therefore an intrinsic part of human makeup that we call emotion is not empirically verifiable save for  the personal accounts of all in basic communication with each other. This part can then be recognised as not definatively physical, however it does exist as an energy form as all things are made of energy.
 We know that when we die our physical body degrades to other chemicals into the land, this is how our body's energy continues...but where does our non physical element, the 'mind'  go to in order to continue its existence in the energy cycle? Who knows, but scientifically speaking, it would have to go somewhere into space or whatnot. I thus conclude that an atheist can believe in an afterlife, or more correctly put, a continuation of the energy that is, our mind.

P.S. Sorry for turning it into a thesus...

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 8:43am
how interesting... great post! It depends on how you see God I suppose.

Originally posted by FusionKing FusionKing wrote:

As I said earlier, I am an atheist, however I did not go into detail regarding my beliefs. The way I think of it, is that god(s) cannot exist as the powers required to be a god cannot work together. A god would need to be both almighty and all knowing in order to be a perfect being. Where is it written that God is perfect.. or has to be perfect? Tongue This is the big problem, to be almighty, the god must have freewill to do as it pleases, but if the god is all knowing too, it has no freewill, the god is bound to doing only the things that it already foresaw itself doing in future. All religions agree that God was the creator.. but do all agree that God is the master manipulator or the all-knowing being.   What if God is simply above the manipulating events .. or the future.  What we have is his creation.. what we do with it.. is OUR freewill. Those who attain oneness with God are the ones that find the keys to heaven when their mortal lives are though...those that don't..  are destined to spend eternity .. if I may be so bold..  in hell. Life on Earth with it's rampant violence and misery. This trapped cycle of being able to do nothing but what was already destined makes the god an imperfect being and therefore, not a god. Perhaps God is not the puppetmaster... only the grand judge, jury and executioner.  We are the ones who move the pieces in our lives.. and the world around us?

However, I also feel it is wrong to say "you die, that's it" like many atheists. Who said that eternal being goes only to those who are theist? No way! Any decent science class teaches you, "energy is constant, it has no point of creation and no end point, it simply changes its function". Now you are talking LOL
 Now add that thought to this other peice of scientific info, "The brain's basic functions can be traced but actual thoughts and emotions in our heads cannot". No one can do a catscan on the depressed and say, 'we've found the root of your sadness sir'. Therefore an intrinsic part of human makeup that we call emotion is not empirically verifiable save for  the personal accounts of all in basic communication with each other. This part can then be recognised as not definatively physical, however it does exist as an energy form as all things are made of energy. As is God??? not physical.. not with virtues as you say God should have (or lack).. but simply a energy that is beyond corporal existence.
 We know that when we die our physical body degrades to other chemicals into the land, this is how our body's energy continues...but where does our non physical element, the 'mind'  go to in order to continue its existence in the energy cycle? Who knows, but scientifically speaking, it would have to go somewhere into space or whatnot. I thus conclude that an atheist can believe in an afterlife, or more correctly put, a continuation of the energy that is, our mind. With that you touch upon what I believe the true answer to what God is ...

P.S. Sorry for turning it into a thesus...

to be continued if anyone is curious enough to discuss

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 5:25pm
"God either wants to eliminate bad things and cannot, or can but does not want to, or neither wishes to nor can, or both wants to and can. If he wants to and cannot, then he is weak - and this does not apply to god. If he can but does not want to, then he is spiteful - which is equally foreign to god's nature. If he neither wants to nor can, he is both weak and spiteful, and so not a god. If he wants to and can, which is the only thing fitting for a god, where then do bad things come from? Or why does he not eliminate them?"

- Epicurus

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 9:23am
^

there is no good..without evil. And no one knows that better than God.

-The Big Micky

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 12:51pm
Interesting points you have Micky, I like a good philosophical discussion! Big smile Let me clarify why my 'weird atheist' position is what it is. Just to confuse people...not only do I not believe in any god(s) but, I don't believe in the big bang either. For a start, how can a singularity- a rip in space and time, supposedly bring everything into existence at a point of nothingness with no space or time for the 'rip' to actually occur in? It is not logical.
 In my opinion, when applying the 'energy is constant, no beginning, no end' law to the cosmos as a whole, one must say that as the cosmos is all just energy, it too must be ever changing but constant. A constant, timeless form cannot have a creator because it was there forever thus requiring no creation.
 The only reason why we do not perceive this much of the time is because part of our makeup, the physical self is temporary. We find it hard to understand that the cosmos is not linear because we view all of the things within it as linear. Life is deceptive, we think death is an end when all it is, is a state of change, we do not see the continuation as it really is.
 It need not be in the respect of reincarnation either (by that I mean one previously being other sentient beings with totally different lives before this one, which I dont buy into because multiple personalities and families would render little meaning to that which we have in each individual life, without genuine love, what's the point...) 
What I'm saying is my energy was once (if you take it back far enough...I mean waaaay back...) stardust, amoeba, a gamma ray,  whatever, and by chance,which is infinate, because of a timeless cosmos, my energy has aquired sentience, so that now I, as a newly emergent mind can begin to understand the stuff, the energy from which I came and am. From there on, I simply progress, developing my 'mind' in this form and adding to it in the next one.
 In essence, the meaning of life is simply to live, thus we seek to learn and be happy.
 To an extent, this allows me to understand evil. It is madness, a defect, on what level of the person is debateable, but it certainly is madness. The reason why I think some people are particularly bad is like this... we all naturally seek to be happy, some get happiness from music, art, having a beer with some friends, playing games etc. these are peaceful things which ordinary people do to be happy. However, if one is insane on some level, they still have a desire to be happy, but by doing things which are characteristically abnormal for most humans, such as rape and murder.
 As for minor badness, like arguing, fighting and gossiping, this, I feel is a product of being part of a world wherein our systems are built on selfish values and/or one's unpleasant past experiences which rub off a little onto people who would otherwise have been decent human beings.
P.S. More to come later, but if I don't eat something soon I will fall off my chair with starvation! LOL

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 1:33pm
Oh, and Happy Birthday Micky! Rawks...I just read!

Posted By: Matt
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 4:42pm

No (expired Catholic) but what I do have is my Lucky Socks, Things always go well with those socks on,Thumbs Up

-------------
Matt

Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

No (expired Catholic) but what I do have is my Lucky Socks, Things always go well with those socks on,Thumbs Up

That's class! I'll join the Lucky Socks cult... soon we'll achieve world domination.... mwuahahahaha.... mwuahahahahah.... mwuahahahahah!

-------------

Posted By: Matt
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

That's class! I'll join the Lucky Socks cult... soon we'll achieve world domination.... mwuahahahaha.... mwuahahahahah.... mwuahahahahah!
When you put on a new pair if things turn crap that day.........Bin themBig smile

-------------
Matt

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 6:01pm

LOLLOLClap

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 6:09pm

Interesting points you have Micky, I like a good philosophical discussion! Big smile

will get to the rest of your post a bit later.. got to run....but first.. let me clarify my thoughts.

yeah..I love a good religious/spiritual discussion.   I have strong beliefs but try to avoid being preachy.  Sure I strongly believe in God.. but to be perfectly honest. I have more respect for those who 'don't believe' than those of the ..err.. evangelical side of things.  I've always believed religion is a deeply personal thing. It can be discuseed among friends .. or with mature people on a philosophical side.  Let's just say I haven't run into many unbelievers that are so sure of the righteousness of their own beliefs that they feel the need to convert the 'ignorant'.  For me... religion is like life...  you learn as live and (the most important part).. you find a set of beliefs (or disbelief's if you will haha) that suit your life.. your experiences. 

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 8:20pm

Interesting points you have Micky, I like a good philosophical discussion! Big smile

shit... just had a long reply typed out.. and lost it.   I'll reply tomorrow...

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 8:07am
Rather late to the party, I am.

I did for quite a few years (probably up until the start of this year) although I don't anymore. At a certain point, probably 3 months ago tops, it all just seemed to completely stop making any sense to me within the space of a few days. Not sure why.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 8:20am
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

I did for quite a few years (probably up until the start of this year) although I don't anymore. At a certain point, probably 3 months ago tops, it all just seemed to completely stop making any sense to me within the space of a few days. Not sure why.

Interesting... that's basically the same thing that happened to me. Almost out of nowhere, I just had a tough time believing in Christianity as a whole. Nothing really made sense to me anymore. Now I guess I consider myself an agnostic, although I lean towards atheism. Part of me still wants to believe in God, but my common sense is discouraging that.

-------------

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 8:26am

Interesting... that's basically the same thing that happened to me. Almost out of nowhere, I just had a tough time believing in Christianity as a whole. Nothing really made sense to me anymore. Now I guess I consider myself an agnostic, although I lean towards atheism. Part of me still wants to believe in God, but my common sense is discouraging that.

Sounds like we're in a pretty similar boat. I have to admit I was reading into history of the church which massively changed my views on the church collectively, as well as some of the huge contradictions which christianity as a whole seems to live by. The one thing which really got me thinking was that we're taught that God is the nicest possible entity, filled with indiscriminate love, yet the only 'real' or (what claims to be) authentic stories which directly involve God seem to depict him as an incredibly evil, hate filled and vengeful person.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 8:44am

Sounds like we're in a pretty similar boat. I have to admit I was reading into history of the church which massively changed my views on the church collectively, as well as some of the huge contradictions which christianity as a whole seems to live by. The one thing which really got me thinking was that we're taught that God is the nicest possible entity, filled with indiscriminate love, yet the only 'real' or (what claims to be) authentic stories which directly involve God seem to depict him as an incredibly evil, hate filled and vengeful person.

That's very true. The thing that really got me though is the fact that the Bible breaks just about every law of nature known to man. Example... Mary had a child as a virgin, God is immortal, Jesus rose from the dead, Moses parted the red sea using magical powers, etc. etc.

I just can't believe in something like that...

-------------

Posted By: The Angry Scotsman
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 12:55pm
meh

-------------
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

meh

Exhibit A: Apatheism

LOL

Posted By: The Angry Scotsman
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 1:44am
More complex then that and I've thought long and hard about it...but easiest way to sum up my overall feeling on god/religion/faith etc

meh

-------------
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk