MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation >Post Reply
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply - Testament: Great thrash or tinny dirge?

Name:

Emoticons
Smile Tongue Wink
Cry Big smile LOL
Dead Embarrassed Confused
Clap Angry Ouch
Star Shocked Sleepy
more...
   NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image
Powered by Web Wiz CAPTCHA version 4.03 wwf
Copyright ©2005-2013 Web Wiz
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.

Topic - Testament: Great thrash or tinny dirge?
Posted: 03 May 2010 at 6:26pm By Certif1ed
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

I know we are here to express ourselves, that heavy metallers have strong "opinions", but I think
we all have to be careful what to "assume" and remember that "One mans meat is anothers poison".
I can think of, litterally a hundred "Lower Grade" Thrash bands other than Death Angel and Flotsam
& Jetsam

Indeed - and I was not attempting to list them all, merely put some sort of perspective in place - and I think my assumptions were logical, and the opinions easy to reason out. Wink

As a matter of fact, for me, other than the 1st F&J album, I have liked just about every
album and song from them, I think they are SUPER underated, their 2nd "No Place for Discrace"
thru "Drift" are my particulr faves, I have only not heard their latest album.
"Doomsday for the Deceiver" was to me, just getting a feel for what they could do at the time.

I thought the first album was awful, derivative and showed little if no potential, so felt F&J pretty safe to ignore, as there were so many better ones around back then. 

I'll check out the later albums - I just didn't feel at the time that they deserved another chance, following the initial turkey - but as you say, we each have our own opinions.

Anthrax, the 1st one was what made me a fan, it was the 1st time hearing them when that album
was released and "Deathrider", "Death from Above", "Panic" and "Across the River" were my faves
on this album, and was one of the heaviest bands at that time (again "from that time").  Anthrax is
recognized to many (Critics and Armchair critics alike) to be one of the quintessential pioneers of
the genre, and Ian and Dan were featured in many "Guitar Magazines" for their abilities and musical
prowess (This before these Mags, unfortunately started to feature "popular" Bands guitarists on
their covers to sell more mags, as it spread like a disease . . . pun intended).

They were, indeed, there at "the beginning" (which I recall well), and pioneers of the music, which I'm not denying.

I didn't like FFoM at the time, and when I listen to it now, it's simply not at the same consistent level of quality as Metallica's or Megadeth's debuts - or even Slayer's, despite their awful production, and nor are any of the albums Anthrax put out, with the possible exception of Spreading the Disease. 

Anthrax had a few exceptional moments, while the other 3 of the so-called Big 4 grew and grew into monsters with exceptional albums - the stories and musical development are very different, even though the bands are inter-related.

The rivalry was just as strong with Megadeth vs Metallica Fans, thats what I remember around
these parts anyway.  Anthrax used to give the boys in Metallica a place to stay in NY when they
1st toured.  If some of us dont, at-least they respect each other.

Naturally... to both.

...Sacred Riech not fast enough...

They had some pretty fast songs... without directly measuring the tempo, I'd say they were up with the rest - although it's true they had some slower numbers. Mind you, so did Metallica and Anthrax - depends what you were listening to the music for. Can't say I could survive on a diet of Napalm Death though Wink

Now Kreator, they had legions of fans and I'm one of them.
But my fave era was for "Extreme Aggressions" and "Coma of Souls" because they got out of
the "Speed Metal" idea of just playing fast . . . now they were getting fast , brutal, but technical
(I can easily name all the songs I LOVE as well and why Wink).

Extreme Aggression is a fantastic album - the title track just kicks ass on every level, but yes, Kreator got a bit samey after a while.

Tastes run different in the Bay Area (Calif.), the Mid-west, South and East coast, so imagine what
its like in Europe and South America . . .

As a quasi-European, I don't find that part too hard to imagine... Wink

It's cool that someone can name stand-out tracks from Testament - I can't even name the albums I own, which are the first two (and I did listen to them when I bought them!). I could use Google and pretend I have an encyclopediac knowledge - but I don't see the point.

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.070 seconds.