MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums >Post Reply
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply - What's up with the Symphonies of Sickness hate?

Name:

Emoticons
Smile Tongue Wink
Cry Big smile LOL
Dead Embarrassed Confused
Clap Angry Ouch
Star Shocked Sleepy
more...
   NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image
Powered by Web Wiz CAPTCHA version 4.03 wwf
Copyright ©2005-2013 Web Wiz
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.

Topic - What's up with the Symphonies of Sickness hate?
Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 10:15am By Stooge
I don't own it, but I've listened to it a few times.  I'll probably get it eventually to fill out my collection.  I don't have any distinct memories of really liking it or hating it.  Probably the fact it's not a great sounding album in terms of production is why people here don't like it, and considering most of the initial membership to this site came from Prog Archives, not many people are into that extreme sound.  Maybe Bill Steer's vocals aren't liked as much as Jeff's, that could have something to do with it.  They were hard on my ears when I first heard them.

I recall Scum by Napalm Death is not that well liked either (2.44 rating).  I think it has its charm and a number of entertaining songs, and I gave it 3 stars, meaning "good but not essential".  However, Symphonies of Sickness has a solid rating of 3.05, so it's liked more than a great chunk of albums listed, including the arguably more "essential" Scum. 

Maybe the idea is that while these albums helped launch a new subgenre, people don't like where it started as much as what it evolved into.  I know that I am not really that much of a fan of earlier death metal releases like Scream Bloody Gore, but love what the band Death became with Human onward.  The same must be the case with people listening to Carcass starting with Necrotism and Napalm Death into the 90s.

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.086 seconds.