MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation >Post Reply
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply - Folk Metal Discussion and Appreciation

Name:

Emoticons
Smile Tongue Wink
Cry Big smile LOL
Dead Embarrassed Confused
Clap Angry Ouch
Star Shocked Sleepy
more...
   NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image
Powered by Web Wiz CAPTCHA version 4.03 wwf
Copyright ©2005-2013 Web Wiz
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.

Topic - Folk Metal Discussion and Appreciation
Posted: 25 May 2011 at 5:33pm By Batnobbit
NOTE: I got an error message when I editied the last post, I will fix the links later today :)

I fucking love Folk Metal, here are some personal favorites.

Isengard, which is a one man project by the legendary Fenriz (Dakrthrone), who made Folk in the 90's. After this album he joined/Formed a band called "Storm", with Satyr.
Isengard - Neslepaks, from the classic "H�stm�rke".

Finntroll is one of my favorite bands of all time. With a story equally dramatic to Mayhem, they continue venturing forth. There are in a way three eras here, since they have had 3 different vocalists. The first era were really "humpa" inspired but at the same time, had a great atmosphere. The second era, if you can call it that was the album Nattfodd. More "Sing-a-long", and it's perhaps one of the best party albums in Metal. I personally like the last Era best, since it's more black Metal.
Finntroll - Nedgang, from the "Black Metal era" and from the underrated album "Ur Jordens Djup".

Ensiferum is also a really good folk band which flirts a lot with Melodic Deathmetal. Sort of a hybrid, but who cares? The old vocalist, jaari or something, I'm really tired and don't bother googling it, is the man behind the legendary band called "Wintersun".
Ensiferum - Lai Lai Hei, from the epic album "Iron".

Windir is sadly dead (the mastermind behind it passed away in 2004), but their legacy lives on. A, in my opinion, perfect mixture between Melodic Black and Folk. Every album is really memorable and it's worth a listening, personal favorites are the albums "Arntnor" and "1184"
Windir - Todeswalzer, from "1184"

And last but not least, Faanefjell. A fairly new band from the new label "Mayhem Music" (Horizon Ablaze, Zerozonic). You can hear elements from both Finntroll, Windir and Isengard, making their concept album "Trollmarsj" an intressting piece of music.
Faanefjell - Det Var en Gang ett Troll (intro to the album) and "Faanetrollets vise" from their only album "Trollmarsj".

I hope you will find something new music or at least get reminded of how great folk are. I apologize for the grammar mistakes because I'm really tired and I'm, you know, Norwegian.

Edited by Batnobbit - 26 May 2011 at 5:09am

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.039 seconds.