MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Death Penalty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What's your stance on capital punishment?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
10 [90.91%]
1 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 7:43am
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

Having said all that, if a similar act was committed on any of my children I would serve the death penalty, personally.

For once that is not easier said than done.

If someone "hurt" one of mine, I know damn well I'd hunt them down, and take the punishment coming. Which is why we place justice out of the hands of the man in the street and serve it dispassionately.

I agree.

However, it would be nice to see those that prey on the weak and defenceless have the tables turned on them for once.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 7:48am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Costs more money than imprisonment for life and has a chance of killing innocent people.  Even if I were a bloodthirsty neocon piece of shit I couldn't support it.

That's down to the way the penalty is managed.

With Scott's example, where there is no doubt whatsoever, that would not apply.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 7:54am
Can I just reiterate, I sit on the fence with this but the debate is very one-sided and I'm being a bit of a devils advocate here.  I'd like to know how many people, who are totally against the penalty of death, have experienced first hand an abhorrent crime against someone very close to them?

"If we execute murderers and there is in fact no deterrent effect, we have killed a bunch of murderers. If we fail to execute murderers, and doing so would in fact have deterred other murders, we have allowed the killing of a bunch of innocent victims. I would much rather risk the former. This, to me, is not a tough call."

John McAdams - Marquette University/Department of Political Science, on deterrence

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 9:42am

Can I just reiterate, I sit on the fence with this but the debate is very one-sided and I'm being a bit of a devils advocate here.  I'd like to know how many people, who are totally against the penalty of death, have experienced first hand an abhorrent crime against someone very close to them?

"If we execute murderers and there is in fact no deterrent effect, we have killed a bunch of murderers. If we fail to execute murderers, and doing so would in fact have deterred other murders, we have allowed the killing of a bunch of innocent victims. I would much rather risk the former. This, to me, is not a tough call."

John McAdams - Marquette University/Department of Political Science, on deterrence

If any of us have experienced something like that or not shouldn't matter. We're not punishing these people for revenge, are we ? Wink If you want revenge, kill the murderer yourself and face the consequences. And no, none of my friends or family members were murdered so I can't say for sure how I would react. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want the penal system to do the dirty work for me. Besides, if someone kills another person, than there's something wrong with him. These people should be isolated from society and rehabilitated/treated. Hating them makes least sense of all options available.

But again, I have no means to know how I would react. I can just hope that I'd stand by my ideals.

Edited by bartosso - 20 Oct 2014 at 9:56am
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 10:12pm

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Costs more money than imprisonment for life and has a chance of killing innocent people.  Even if I were a bloodthirsty neocon piece of shit I couldn't support it.

That's down to the way the penalty is managed.

With Scott's example, where there is no doubt whatsoever, that would not apply.

This is true.  If there were to be death penalty I wouldn't support any option more expensive than a bullet.  I still think the entire practice is barbaric and wrong.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 3:57am
Interestingly, the death penalty for treason in England was only abolished in 1998.

700 years ago the penalty here in England was to be hanged, drawn and quartered.

Convicts were fastened to a hurdle, or wooden panel, and drawn by horse to the place of execution, where they were hanged (almost to the point of death), emasculated, disembowelled, beheaded and quartered (chopped into four pieces). Their remains were often displayed in prominent places across the country, such as London Bridge. For reasons of public decency, women convicted of high treason were instead burned at the stake.

Source: Wikipedia
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 4:02am
Women of high standing though were usually beheaded, so as to preserve their modesty Confused
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 5:43am
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

Women of high standing though were usually beheaded, so as to preserve their modesty Confused

Least of her worries I would have said! LOL

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 7:54pm

Usually i'm the one playing devil's advocate but not this time Wink

Here in the US - WAAAY too many people have been wrongly executed only to be proven innocent by DNA testing after the fact. There are many  families of victims who have actively tried to stop the death penalty from occurring because of their religious beliefs to no avail because the state has made a business out of death.

Personally i have fortunately never experienced anything horrendous of the sort but i am of the mind set that revenge never makes anything better. I saw a really good documentary a few years ago about the different prison systems of the world and in the countries that actually engage in rehabilitative practices and teach the miscreants how to interact with society actually have the lowest crime rates in the world. Scandinavian countries were some of the best but Japan was an interesting case too because they started out very lenient and gave the person a chance but if they blew it they did the worst.

Also according to statistics states or countries with the death penalty show that it does nothing for prevention of terrible crimes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic