MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Interviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hatebreed's Jamey Jasta chats with LoudTrax.com
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hatebreed's Jamey Jasta chats with LoudTrax.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoudTrax.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hatebreed's Jamey Jasta chats with LoudTrax.com
    Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 1:12pm

Hatebreed's Jamey Jasta chats with LoudTrax.com

HI guys, we are running a promo for Jamey Jasta's Kingdom of Sorrow project and he gave up some precious time to have an interview. here is the part of the interview. you can view the whole interview here:http://blog.loudtrax.com/post/Hatebreeds-Jamey-Jasta-talks-abut-Kingdom-of-Sorrow-and-more.aspx

INTERVIEW
Hatebreed's Jamey Jasta talks about Kingdom of Sorrow and more
by AM 12. August 2010 01:22

To highlight the promotion LoudTrax.com and Relapse Records are holding for the Kingdom of Sorrow "Behind the Blackest Tears" release, we had the great pleasure of speaking with the metal legend Jamey Jasta. The Hatebreed singer released the second album for this side project which also features Kirk Windstein from Crowbar and Down.

For a limited time, the "Behind the Blackest Tears" album is avialable for $6.99 (only at LoudTrax.comhttp://www.loudtrax.com/Album.aspx?id=51635). Jamey also offered us an autographed CD to giveaway, so enter HERE! http://www.loudtrax.com/Contests.aspx 

LoudTrax.com: First off, Happy belated Birthday (August 7). Did you do anything special?

Jamey Jasta: Thanks. Yeah it was fun. Together with friends and stuff, cake, was cool.

LoudTrax.com: Can you tell us about the Behind the Blackest Tears album and how it was different than the first?

Jamey Jasta: This time around I had demo-ed a lot prior to giving ideas to Kirk. I had 14 or 15 songs that I was able to hand to him, which he was then able to listen to and jam along with and give creative input. Even though I wrote about half of the first record, I probably had more input in the writing on this one. I had more time to get all the lyrical concepts together. I wrote all the lyrics on both albums, so I felt a little more pressure this time to not kind of repeat myself and starting to go into different areas and out of my comfort zone a little bit.

I would say that�s the main difference. It�s still stays with the concept of the band being a �place� � The Kingdom of Sorrow. We wanted to be able to go to that �place� musically & creatively. Overall I think this record is a good growth. There�s some progression and we both went out of our comfort zones as far as the writing, singing and the riffs. Feels good. 

LoudTrax.com: Did you spend a lot of time together writing, or was it done each on your own?

Jamey Jasta: It was pretty much done separately and when we got together we just bounced ideas back and forth, changed the stuff as we could. We played riffs to each other and showed each other different ideas and feeding off the vibe.

LoudTrax.com: There are more and more successful artists that have side projects that they work on alongside their main band. I�m thinking of yourself, Alex Skolnick and Eric Peterson of Testament, Mike Portnoy, and a several others. 

Would you say that the fact that you are involved in different successful projects helps you bring something special or of extra value back to each of the projects?

Jamey Jasta: Yes I think it�s a creative thing. Sometimes you need a different outlet and when you�re able to step away and do something, it helps your main outlet. For example, I was talking to someone the other day about sports and how a lot of sports players go and play golf really well, or try a different sport. 

I think some musicians can do that as well. It�s still an activity that�s creative and involves music and writing lyrics, but within a different genre or different emotional relief. For me, when I do Hatebreed songs, I�m trying to look myself in the mirror and take a hard look at myself and say something that�s going to keep me motivated. Hatebreed is me being my own drill sergeant.

Kingdom of Sorrow is completely different. It doesn�t come from anger, or the same place. It�s more about an emotional release from a different area of my life. And it�s the same for Kirk. He�ll tell me �I have a riff will fit best with Kingdom�. So it�s just a different creative process too.

LoudTrax.com: I take it you must also feed off the energy of the people within a specific project.

Jamey Jasta: Yes totally. There�s a power too with the fans. When they embrace something, it�s very gratifying. When the first Kingdom of Sorrow record was released, Kirk and I were both out in the public eye a lot. With Hatebreed on Roadrunner Records and the main stage on Ozzfest. At that time, we had just passed 1 million records sold � one of the only Hardcore bands to ever do that and being one of the most successful hardcore bands ever. That comes with a lot of criticism and people speculating all the time. So when we started Kingdom of Sorrow, there was a lot of criticism and a lot of doubt.

When the record came out and performed very well and got decent reviews, followed by the tour, it became very successful and was very gratifying for both Kirk and I to have proven a lot of our nay-sayers wrong. That record sold more than some main bands studio releases that had more marketing. So for a side project to do that well, was very fulfilling to us and made us want even more to pursue that avenue.

LoudTrax.com: It seems like the second record �Behind The Blackest Tears� is on the same path.

Jamey Jasta: It�s only been a month and it�s already increasing in sales each week. I feel like if we actually tour more and if Kirk can get his life together and start be able to come on the road with us it would do even better. I�m hoping we can do something at the end of year. We want to go to Canada, after Hatebreed does Eastern Canada, we�d like to do some other shows. Hopefully the Crowbar dates do not conflict.

Relapse Records does a great job too and helps us reach out to a new audience which is great.

LoudTrax.com: So did I understand properly that Kirk is not on the upcoming Kingdom of Sorrow tour?

Jamey Jasta: FINISH READING HERE: http://blog.loudtrax.com/post/Hatebreeds-Jamey-Jasta-talks-abut-Kingdom-of-Sorrow-and-more.aspx
LoudTrax.com - Rock, Metal, Punk downloads
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic