MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deathcore issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deathcore issues
    Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 2:55pm
I looked up a lot of the deathcore bands here and a large amount of them are in death metal. I have three reasons why most should be in metalcore rather than death metal:

1. Except for superficial elements like distortion and tone on the guitar and the amount of double bass and some blastbeats, it doesn't really have a lot in common with death metal. It's closer in composition and riffing style to metalcore, and when you add in the breakdown element it becomes all more apparent.

2. "Purist" metal fans will agree with point #1, and upon coming across BMTH or Despised Icon in Death metal they will think we don't know what we're talking about. They may avoid this site for our lack of knowledge.

3. Metal purists can be upset that a core band is even called metal and should be upset that they even belong on the website. This site is going to include them because we feel we need any band like that. However, it is even more upsetting to find 'core' bands in a more 'true' metal genre.

By putting the deathcore bands in metalcore not only will they have their proper categorization, but we will have a wider audience who may come to this site, even the metal purists. Any thoughts? I mean this as constructive criticism.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 3:02pm
You're correct.  I believe even here on MMA, deathcore is listed as a sub-category of metalcore.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/metalcore(subgenre).aspx

Many deathcore bands are already listed under metalcore, but feel free to share more bands of concern so that they can be (re)evaluated.

Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 5:37pm
Hopefully some of the death metal teamsters will chime in... Jonas (UMUR) is now on vacation, but I'm quite sure he'll give his valuable input when he comes back. On the other hand, the Metalcore team seems to have disintegrated, so any volunteers for it would be very welcome. 
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 6:57am
Let me just remind/inform people that the death metal artist inventory (like any other original genre here on MMA) was automatically imported from elsewhere, which has resulted in a lot of misclassifications and other oddities. We are far from done when it comes to cleaning up that "mess". I myself have moved a lot of artists from death metal and thrash metal to metalcore, but there is atill a lot of work to be done, and countrification and bio-clean-ups are currently the top priorities (typically, we move irrelevant bands from the genre as part of the countrification process).

That being said, any suggestions as to bands that should/could be moved from death metal to metalcore will be useful and will help us already at this stage, so I would personally welcome them. But, please have patience.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 1:02pm
Deathcore bands in Death metal:

Bring Me the Horizon
All Shall Perish
Despised Icon
Whitechapel
Job For a Cowboy
As Blood Runs Black
Arsonists Get all the Girls
Born of Osiris
Heaven Shall Burn
Animosity
Through The Eyes of the Dead
Rose Funeral
With Blood Comes Cleansing
Emmure
Knights of the Abyss
Burning Skies
After the Burial
Suffokate
Beneath the Massacre

Just a few for starters
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 2:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic