MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

folk-metal suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:01pm
As for folk/viking metal with power and black elements, I warmly recommend Ensiferum. Not progressive at allWink but very nice and melodic.

goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 11:08pm
Hi: I don't know if you know the German band Falkenbach:

or the Swedish band Vintersorg:

or the Norwegian Glittertind:

or the Swedish Garmarna (more folk than metal)

Edited by goskoski - 29 Jan 2011 at 11:23pm
The Air Loom View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Air Loom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 9:17am
I'll try not to bombard you with suggestions.  You might like to try

Tuatha de Danann - The Delirium Has Just Begun
Skyclad - The Silent Whales Of Lunar Sea
Lake of Tears - Headstones
Cruachan - Folk-lore

Also the bands mentioned previously by Harmonium.ro,  Bucium and Negură Bunget, are excellent.  Mago de Oz are also really good.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 9:26am
Have you heard Eluveitie?
Inexistence is the true normality.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Air Loom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

Have you heard Eluveitie?

Yes, I've heard of them, and heard some of their music, but haven't yet got round to buying albums.  I've really only started getting into folk metal in the last year or so, and it's something that I want to explore further.  Could you recommend me an album?
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:26am
Ok.Let me think(because it's not one of my favorite styles of metal).Got it.A very good folk band is Fejd.It's a new band.Their album Storm of 2009 is nice.But also their latest album of 2010 Eifur is good.
Inexistence is the true normality.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Air Loom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 12:35pm
^ Ok, thanks.  I'll check them out Thumbs Up
ANDERS View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ANDERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 10:07am
Heidevolk
(Dutch Folk Metal)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 10:15am
Another recommendation from me. Wolfchant (http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/wolfchant.aspx)
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
RushTheater View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RushTheater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 1:01pm
I strongly recommend Orphaned Land. I had never listened to the folk metal thing since I stepped onto "Mabool - The story of the three sons of seven". Is an absolutely amazing album!

MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 1:28pm
^again,
It was my fave Internet Station that got me into these guys (and Mabool) about 5 years ago with their
earlier releases (which are hard to come by).  Then FINALLY got this album-as a Special Edition Big smile.

Their latest is also a recommend, like Mabool-goes from tradition regional themes, to beautiful, brutal,
and divine, complete with various Middle Eastern Chants and traditional Instruments.

The Cover Art represents to me how Jerusalem should be - "United from 1 cloth" Smile:

(Bonus Track) - Apparently this is a "Turkish" song.

. . . Amen.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 09 Jun 2011 at 1:30pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by RushTheater RushTheater wrote:

I strongly recommend Orphaned Land. I had never listened to the folk metal thing since I stepped onto "Mabool - The story of the three sons of seven". Is an absolutely amazing album!

I second that. Stunning. Epic middle eastern ambience.

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 1:50pm
I've just familiarized myself with Galar, really talented folk/black metal duo with amazing classical/string orchestral music leanings. 

Edited by bartosso - 25 Dec 2011 at 6:43pm
Vobiscum View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vobiscum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 8:31pm
The bands folk metal and Viking metal should not sing in English. If we examine the issue of colonization and other cultural aspects, the bands should sing in native languages​​. The pagan theme has nothing to be sung in English with a view that it was the 'English' who attacked paganism. I know there is a trade issue but there are bands that sing in their native language on the subject pagan, nature, and other things.

Finntroll - Visor om slutet
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 4:46pm
Mago De Oz- Folk Metal mixed with Traditional and Progressive MetalWink
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 6:40pm
Would this be considered folk metal?

Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:21am
I saw Metsatoll live last night. They were pretty decent

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
aazANDREYz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aazANDREYz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 5:23am

Hello everyone! how you like this band?  

http://vk.com/forodwaith

http://www.myspace.com/forodwaithband

http://www.facebook.com/Forodwaithband

http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3992179

Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 7:11pm
Sabaton is pretty sweet, imo. They kind of hover between folk and power in my mind.

www.withinareverie.blogspot.com
soundcloud.com/withinareverie
facebook.com/withinareverie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image