MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Killing Joke appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Killing Joke appreciation
    Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 4:30am
Lets give this band some honour, I personly love Killing Joke with ther dark and almost goth like sound, I have four of their albums (want more), thier s/t debute, NIght Time, Pandemonium, and Hosannas from the Bassments of Hell.

this band was not metal in the beginning thier metal started with Extremetis, Dirt and Various Repressed Emotions (I don't have this album but the next Pandemonium have clare Industrial metal, alternative metal soung with gothic undertones mostly becouse of the synth layers)

this are some of the lesser known bands they have influencedWink  not many knows this but they are probably after the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Roxy Music and Kraftwerk the most influencial band on the planet. (on the level that you can hear thei influence quite clare)
Nirvana, Ministry, Amen, Lamb of God, Nine Inch Nails, Porcupine Tree, Napalm Death, Amebix, Big Black, Opeth, Godflesh, Tool, Prong, Metallica, Primus, Jane's Addiction, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, Faith No More, Blacklist, Shihad, Pitchshifter, Das Oath, Rammstein and Korn,

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 5:16am
I absolutely love Killing Joke. I haven�t followed them the last couple of albums but especially Extremities, Dirt & Various Repressed Emotions  gets a high score from me. Unlike other people I know I also enjoy their more commercial eighties efforts like Night Time, Brighter than a Thousand Suns and Outside the Gate. I know most fans hate the latter, but I find it quite enjoyable. I was introduced to Killing Joke through Pandemonium and also purchased Democracy when that came out. Great albums both of them. I can�t wait until I get a chance to start reviewing their discography.
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 6:48am
Weren't they planning to release a new album this year ?
Their concert  in Paris was postponed to september.

As far as their gothic era is concerned, their best album is their self-titled, followed closely by the tribal 'fire dances'.

Regarding their metal era, their self-titled is also their best (it features a certian Dave grohl on drums), followed closely by 'extremities, dirt and various repressed emotions'.

Dorosłe dzieci mają żal, za kiepski przepis na ten świat.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 1:48pm
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 4:24pm
They will release their new album 'feast of fools' on 6 september, and I should be able to see them in Paris on 27 september. A friend of mine will see them at Hellfest this weekend, he will tell me about the orientation of the new album (which will feature the original line-up).
Dorosłe dzieci mają żal, za kiepski przepis na ten świat.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 8:38am
I never considered Killing Joke as a metal bandShockedConfused
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 8:46am
Have you listened to Pandemonium Hugues? But otherwise yes they might belong more in proto-metal, seing as they have been greatly influential upon the industrial metal genre than in the actual industrial metal sub.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 5:18am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Have you listened to Pandemonium Hugues? But otherwise yes they might belong more in proto-metal, seing as they have been greatly influential upon the industrial metal genre than in the actual industrial metal sub.

Nope, I must say I haven't.... I'm mostly familiar with the early to mid80's stuff

When I think of KJ, Post-Punk, Industrial Rock, New Wave, Gothic Rock come to mind, but not metal music

guess I'll have to rent Pandemonium

Edited by Sean Trane - 08 Jul 2010 at 5:21am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 5:21am
Take a listen to Pandemonium or maybe Extremeties. Both have lots of metal elements. The latter is a favorite of mine.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 5:25am
I will thanksWink

Curiosity never killed this cat!!!LOL

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image