MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the KISS ARMY thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the KISS ARMY thread
    Posted: 21 May 2010 at 1:19pm
Yes I was a KISS addict in the 70s and 80s and still love the band with very fond memories. I have posted many reviews of their albums here on the MMA. If anyone wants to talk about this great legendary band post here.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - 21 May 2010 at 1:20pm
GLAM METAL!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 1:29pm
Not a  fan of those early Kiss albums, I thought they were much better in the 80's around the Lick It Up era. I can hear Kiss die hards saying sacrilidge! LOL

Enjoyed last years Sonic Boom and I went to see them on their recent tour.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 10:06am
I saw them twice recently

They are definitely not the same but still rock hard and look good.
GLAM METAL!
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 8:37am
Sad News

Kiss manager Bill Aucoin lost his battle with prostate cancer.

here is what KISS said on www.kissonline.com.

Bill Aucoin, our irreplaceable original manager, mentor and dear friend has died of complications arising from his ongoing battle with prostate cancer. He was instrumental in guiding us from the beginning and without his vision, leadership and unending dedication, we could never have scaled the heights we have reached.

Bill loved life and lived it to the fullest. Words can never convey his impact on us or those close to him.

Over all the years, he never missed an opportunity to be with us at our shows near his home or fly in for special concerts, including our most recent Madison Square Garden show. He had hoped to attend our London show earlier this month but his illness prevented it. He still planned to visit us upon the start of our upcoming US tour.

We loved him, told him and have peace that he knew it.

We will grieve and celebrate all he was and did.

We have lost a part of us.

Very sad and nice eulogy from Kiss too. A great part of Kiss has died.

GLAM METAL!
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 10:27am
Just keeping it alive here
GLAM METAL!
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 6:08pm
No thank you Thumbs Down
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 8:26am
I was quite surprised when I first heard Kiss back in the day, and they were this harmless rock n roll band. I'd seen their pictures in magazines for years as a kid, and seeing the image I thought they were the heaviest thing imaginable.

There are some good songs at least on the early albums, an occasional spin of Alive covers my need for Kiss quite nicely.
<- Click on this!
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

I thought they were much better in the 80's around the Lick It Up era. 

Perfectly agreed!
All that is over. Today, I know how to celebrate beauty.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 3:32pm
Lick It Up/Animalize/Asylum are the albums that I got into Kiss with.  I'm not really a big fan of their earlier albums, but I do love their compilation Smashes, Thrashes, and Hits.  My buddies and I used to play this quite often back in the day.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

What is this supposed to mean? Why does it matter if they "look good"?

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - 01 Sep 2014 at 8:36pm

vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 9:16pm
dont like kiss at all but like ace frehley solo albums
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 1:09am
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

I think it's safe to say that with Kiss the music has always been only part of the equation along with the looks and the showmanship. So at least they still got that thing going for them if the music has taken a turn downwards during the years.
<- Click on this!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

I think it's safe to say that with Kiss the music has always been only part of the equation along with the looks and the showmanship. So at least they still got that thing going for them if the music has taken a turn downwards during the years.
Then I guess Kiss will never be for me. I honestly don't care how a band "looks" as long as the music is good

Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 1:40am

Then I guess Kiss will never be for me. I honestly don't care how a band "looks" as long as the music is good
Yeah, if you ask me I'll obviously say the same, but then thinking about it I realize that looks indeed are quite important in metal as well. Think Iron Maiden and their stage shows, and as a more down to earth example I thought about Metallica's Seattle 89 show from Live Shit. Everything from how low Hetfield wears his guitars to how far apart he keeps his feet to how he hovers above the mic and how the sides of Jason's hair are shaved add to them looking so incredibly brutally metal, and that really really adds to the viewing experience. Now imagine them looking like a bunch of office workers.

Sure looks are not the starting point in metal like perhaps in some other forms of music, but they do make some difference I think.
<- Click on this!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 1:48am

Yeah, if you ask me I'll obviously say the same, but then thinking about it I realize that looks indeed are quite important in metal as well. Think Iron Maiden and their stage shows, and as a more down to earth example I thought about Metallica's Seattle 89 show from Live Shit. Everything from how low Hetfield wears his guitars to how far apart he keeps his feet to how he hovers above the mic and how the sides of Jason's hair are shaved add to them looking so incredibly brutally metal, and that really really adds to the viewing experience. Now imagine them looking like a bunch of office workers.

Sure looks are not the starting point in metal like perhaps in some other forms of music, but they do make some difference I think.

I guess you are right in a sense but to me the music will always be the #1 most important aspect of the experience. What good is your image if you can't play worth a lick?

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - 02 Sep 2014 at 1:49am

aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 5:50pm
I must agree that KISS is heavily based on their looks, but their music is definitely good enough for me. 

Their battle armor is a little distracting at some times. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by VerticalUprising VerticalUprising wrote:

I must agree that KISS is heavily based on their looks, but their music is definitely good enough for me. 

Their battle armor is a little distracting at some timesTongue

LOL

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image