MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Question On Screaming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Question On Screaming
    Posted: 19 May 2010 at 5:42pm
Was just wondering, I can't seem to trace back the excessive screaming in some metal bands ie. the beginnings of the death growl and, as I call it, the banshee shriek, any earlier than some early 80's German thrash...
Do any of you know who actually started the screaming thing and why?

Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 6:19pm
If you mean high-pitched screams, I'd say Ian Gillan and Robert Plant for starters, and even some instances of our dear Ozzy... In any case, I think it may be just a consequence of the music - I mean, adapting the vocal style to the intensity of the sound. 
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 6:23pm
No, I mean just screaming not singing. I mean stuff like, Kreator, Sodom, Sepultura and Death, that type of screaming.
Stephen View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 9:06pm
probably it was started by judas priest and queensryche ?
rob halford and geoff tate got the signature shrieking vocal in their early phase that influenced many metal bands afterwards

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 5:02am
John Entwistle Tongue
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 5:08am
I'll have to look at my collection. . .

The Birth.
But Tate of Queensryche was wayyyyyy after anyone was doing those screams (The debut EP came out in 1983).  There was "Midnight" who sang for Crimson Glory, but thats after QR (1986).
There was Accept and singer Udo Dirkschneider (1980), Krokus and Marc Storace (1980), Savatage and Jon Oliva, but it was more for effect in songs (1983), Fastway and Dave King (1983) and Minoru Niihara from Loudness (1981-82).

But then you have Venom in 1981-82 and vocalist "Cronos".  I would imagine a few bands from the NWOBHM would have some of the "Shrieking" vocal styles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Wave_of_British_Heavy_Metal

"A History of The NWOBHM":
http://www.braingell.com/?p=5018

The Seedlings.
I agree though that Plant of Zeppelin (1969) and Ian Gillan of Deep Purple (find Live versions of "Space Truckin' " and especially "Child in Time" and "Speed King"/Gillan Era 1970). Rob Halford of Judas Priest definitely (1974),   Don't forget Bon Scott of AC/DC (1974) and Humble Pie's Steve Marriott (1969).  As well as Budgie with singer Burke Shelly (1971) and similar "vocal style" -Geddy Lee of Rush (1974).  Maybe even Klaus Meine in the earlier days of the Scorpions (1972).

I think it became more of a "Style" and prevelent after the above Singers and the advent of Thrash Metal, so circa 1985? Ermm  The screams then turned into the melodic 5 octave ranges for some, others maintained the
Shriek "Thrash Screaming".

Grunt!
If you are just talking the "Death Growl" or "Cookie Monster" Vocals, supposedly its Lemmy from Motorhead and then "perfected(?)" (I think due to lack of being able to sing melodically/Death Metal was born as the Music had to be at par with the Vocals, in-turn the music had to get more aggressive) by Possessed (1983-84). Its widely said that they may have been the 1st real Death Metal Vocals:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possessed_(band)
Funny how Larry Lalonde of Primus (Guitar) Started in Possessed.

Thats how I was witnessed to it all anyway Approve.  The Family Tree is thick with branches and thistles Big smile . . .

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 21 May 2010 at 5:17am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 5:10am
Its either Motorhead or Venom - I used to be into them as a teen and there was nothing else like them
GLAM METAL!
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 7:47am
YEAH, I get all that (thanks by the way) But does anyone know who the first band ever to simply scream/growl without singing was?
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 1:48pm
I'd say the first band with vocals that could be considered harsh were Venom. That's just  what I can say, I'm not sure how accurate I am.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 4:03pm
Well again...

If you are talking JUST the "Cookie Monster" (Grunting)  Death Metal type vocals, lookie at the Link I put
up above:
Possessed (1983-84). Its widely said that they may have been the 1st real Death Metal Vocals:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possessed_(band)
(You can always go to the external links there to get the real stories).

As far as the "Grunting" , it may very-well be Venom.

Also I forgot to mention Napalm Death (1987), they were probably the 1st band I heard mesh the
Screaming with Death Metal Vocals along with Carcass (1987).
Seems Napalm coined the term "Grindcore": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napalm_Death
And lets not forget "Quorthon" of Bathory (1984) , total Screaming Mayhem! and the Pioneer of
"Black Metal" and "Viking Metal" : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathory_(band)

Originally posted by FusionKing FusionKing wrote:

YEAH, I get all that (thanks by the way) But does anyone know who the first band ever to simply scream/growl without singing was?

Well . . . thats like asking, "Who was the 1st Nut to think, 'Look at that Bug on the rock with a shell on top of it and leaving a greasy trail . . . IM GONNA' COOK IT UP AND EAT IT!" LOL

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 21 May 2010 at 5:14pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 4:54pm
Tom Waits ? (beats easily any Death Metal growler)

Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Tom Waits ? (beats easily any Death Metal growler)

It might very well be as you say, but I doubt that Tom Waits had any influence on metal.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 5:28pm
(This has become a challenge for me . . .)
Okay, hehe

When it comes to Carcass, for the un-initiated, Carcass is one of the 1st to take "Gore"
to the extreme, I chose the One Vid/Audio Track on YOUtube with the "Lesser Gross"
Cover, but it still may offend so I didnt embed it here (Some may think its silly and funny,
but usually this stuff depresses me, but Carcass just had something about them, maybe
because they were the 1st to out-do everyone, but they're extremely talented musicians).
Their later stuff gets a bit more coherant and technical, and they start doing away with
Gore lyrics, Like Death - too many bands started to copy them, in-turn, the Genre "Gore
Metal" was invented (...great Ermm).  Also known as "Gore-Grind" and "Splatter Metal"
(as mentioned in Wiki).

"Reek of Putrifaction" has both the Death Metal and Screaming (INSANE at that):
Demo Version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AaYheE2lzU
Album Track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrsdTWbJiiI&feature=related
I prefer this one because it sounds like a bloody nightmare! Pinch
The Story (Very interesting):

Heres the 5 others that may answer or fuel the debate:

Napalm Death
"Unchallenged Hate" (1988)

Cookies with the screaming toward the end, no melodic
vocals to be found in its 100 yard radius Tongue.

Venom "Black Metal" (1982)

You know, I was never a Venom fan, but I've heard a few songs back when
they debuted and after.  I seem to remember some "screaming", but here
its more of a "Grunting" type vocals.  So maybe in their later years they
started that(?).

Possessed "Seven Churches" (1985)

Bathory (1984)

Death (1987)

Cookie, Screaming and Grunting!

Now dont beat me up FusionKing! Ouch ow Ow OW STOP WITH THE HIT-TING!!!!
And Lucas, I like Tom Waits very much.  Hehe, just add heavy guitars!

Originally posted by FusionKing FusionKing wrote:

If anyone can find THAT 1st Band and Album, it will be pretty interesting Thumbs Up

Recent note:
Sometimes you can't trust a Wiki.
So I decided to Google "1st Metal band to use harsh vocal style" and I found these:
1. Screaming (Music): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screaming_(music)
Notice when you look at the Punk and Heavy Metal sections, hardly any Bands are mentioned.
The Heavy Metal Section has Metallica, Slayer and Anthrax as its examples, with brief
aknowledgements to Rob Halford, Zeppelin and Deicide Ermm.  But really none of the "founders" are
linked to this style of vocalization.
Yet go to Post-Hardcore and Nu Metal and "Other Genres" and there are plenty of Names to go
around.  So the article is very biased.

And then there was this quote:
"Musicologist Deena Weinstein has noted of death metal, "Vocalists in this style have a distinctive
sound, growling and snarling rather than singing the words. Making ample use of the voice
distortion box, they sound as if they had gargled with hydrochloric acid.

I wonder really, how many of these bands use a Distortion Box, seeing numerous Death Metal
Bands and being in front of Chuck Schuldiner, Mikael Akerfeldt and Jens Kidmen to name a
few, they were using their natural voices, I can attest to that.
I can remember alot of folks saying that back when the scene was developing, but I think it was
Just a way to criticize the music because they did not like it.

2.  Death Growl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_growl
Its written by the same person and "mentions" a few Bands.  This must've been some kind of
quicky High School essay because its poorly written and has Prompts that ask,
"Please improve it by verifying the claims made and adding references. Statements consisting
only of original research may be removed." 
It seems both were written without any self-knowledge, personal experience or reputable sources
and fundamental History of the various Musics.  It also feels as though the person took certain
Paragraphs from Books that "sound Underground enough" and added to the Article, while skipping
a host of founding Metal Bands.  I also suspect that the Book sources are written by journalists who
know more about Rock Music than Metal and its sub-genres.  I once Read a Book about Modern
Rock, and in the Heavy Metal section, Megadeth was considered "The Pioneers of Death Metal".
Deth + Metal = Death Metal *ding! Clap

3. This Article is not bad at Wapedia, "Death Metal":
http://wapedia.mobi/en/Death_metal
But some Genre definition are "loose" and some important Bands are left out.
Apparently this is a "Wiki" page on Death Metal as well.  So I guess Wiki has better articles about
individule Bands than "Genre" definitions.

If anyone finds better resources, it be very cool to see them.  And you'll make FusionKing happy Smile.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 21 May 2010 at 11:33pm

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 4:54am
I remeber Bathory was one of the first I had heard in the 80s and Venom but as to who is the first is very difficult to ascertain. However it would be worth seeking out. It is not Zeppelin, sabbath or Deep Purple , the big 3 who pioneered metal. Is Comus a death metal growl.

I think Gene Simmons in 1976 with 'God of Thunder' from "Destroyer" was close as he was trying to get a monster vocal on the second verse - listen to those vocals - not quite the death growl but still close and may have been influential.

Alice Cooper also had a very growly vocal that nobody else was using on certain songs such as 'Billion Dollar Babies' in early 70s. Even hismakeup was way before the black metal bands...

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - 22 May 2010 at 4:55am
GLAM METAL!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 4:46am
Roger Waters in "Careful with that Axe, Eugene" (5:00 onwards especially, but he makes all kinds of odd noises before that!)

Edited by Certif1ed - 24 May 2010 at 4:48am
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 5:22am
^
and what about 'the nile song' ?
Dorosłe dzieci mają żal, za kiepski przepis na ten świat.
Black Flag View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Flag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 12:31pm
Cookie monster growls started with Venom.
Although he is a great singer too, Ian Gillan started the pure screaming on DP In Rock, listen to Speed King and Child in Time as well as others.

Actually an even better example is the chorus to Hiway Star, "I love it .. I need it .. " that is where the scream singing really became defined. I used to sing (attempt) that way for a bit in the mid-80s, it isn't easy. 
One early hardcore/metal thrash crossover band that was influential in non-stop scream singing was Die Kruezin, extremely powerful band.

Edited by Black Flag - 24 May 2010 at 9:25pm
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 1:18am
Can't believe I forgot my favourite example of screaming - and the earliest I know of (I think it predates "Careful With That Axe, Eugene", but I might be mistaken) - "Black Mass" by Jason Crest;

...screams at 1:00, at the end of each verse, and sporadically within the "song". TURN IT UP FOR MAXIMUM EFFECT!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic