MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I needed to get this off my chest. Like, really.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I needed to get this off my chest. Like, really.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I needed to get this off my chest. Like, really.
    Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 11:17pm
Some people really need to cut the elitist bullshit for just a minute.

Note that the above sentence does not pertain to any of the users here. No, it only applies to a few of the shallow grunge-hating idiots I have seen spawn from the dark bowels of the internet ever since cyber music reviewing began. 

I have no problem if you dislike this type of music, or any type of music  for that matter. I only dislike some of the shallow morons who criticize this genre for not being "METUHL ENUFF!111" like some of the alternative rock hating morons I've seen on some places (I for one welcome our new Encyclopedia Metallum overlords). 

No; Nirvana, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam, or any of those bands of the sort are not nu-metal, and anyone who believes so is an honest to God moron. There is a thick line between grunge and nu-metal, but elitist assholes, being the shallow whiners they are, will refuse this fact even if it came up and bit them on the edge of their fuckin' dicks. People complain that "Grunge started the nu-metal craze" and, even if that's debatable (In my opinion it is absolutely NOT the reason for nu-metal, but I digress this point for the sake of the matter), why should people care? It's as if anything with any HINT of nu-metal on it is automatic shit because some elitists think it's ruining metal. If you think it's ruining metal, ignore it. Just ignore it. Listen to whatever you like in this type of music. My problem here though is the seemingly empty problem that people have with it, and that is usually JUST BECAUSE OF THE GENRE, which is the most unbelievably ridiculous logic that has ever graced my young eyes. It seems that, to metal elitists, if it's not metal, it's automatically shit, and this pisses me off whenever I hear this being uttered from a person's mouth.

Besides, many of these bands, such as Pearl Jam and Nirvana, distanced themselves from being metal and even said themselves that being labeled as that made them sick, so why give a shit? It's music, and if someone is going to hate it for being attached to a genre, then they can kindly go jump off the Golden Gate Bridge.

Okay, rant over. Sorry if these seemed harsh and all, but I really needed to express my thoughts on this. You can all proceed with your lives now.
buttsled View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buttsled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 11:33pm
The notion of "ruining metal" seems so silly to me.
Just because some of a genre sucks (in certain people's opinions) doesn't mean the genre sucks or is going downhill or whatever.
During the (to the layman) "hair metal" era into the "grunge" era we also got thrash metal, death metal, and Priest and Maiden toured and released albums throughout.

Also, only liking metal is totally not metal and has been for decades.

Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 11:08am
I don't really consider any of the 'Grunge' bands Metal but think of them as 'Hard Rock' with a modern, for the time, slant plus a bit of 'Punk Rock' thrown into the mix. I have enjoyed a lot of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and others in my time but really couldn't care less what anyone else things of my music listening choices. As for the whole genres thing don't get me started on that Tongue
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 3:07pm
The idea that some subgenre can ruin a bigger genre simply by existing is ridiculous.  Genres are for classifying music.  That's it.  We are constantly organizing things consciously and subconsciously and music is no different.  Doesn't mean it's better, worse, or the same.  Just different.  You can dislike music because of how it's played or what it stands for, but to do so because it's classified in a certain way is just plain silly I'd say.

Different strokes for different folks.  If people want to waste energy and be miserable hating something for dumb reasons, that's their prerogative. 
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 1:53am
I agree some people can be complete dickheads about musical genres
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 3:05pm
I think that when certain individuals claim that bands are ruining something it has more to do with a new sound siphoning off the monetary benefits from another musical form. Nirvana was detested by glam metal because their days of platinum albums imploded. As far as pure musical integrity goes it is all subjective. I hate purist thinking for everything is an extension of something that came before. Nirvana elitists don t realize that their pop punk approach can be found ten years earlier in bands like Love And Rockets which in turn gleaned much from the 70s.

Edited by siLLy puPPy - 18 Nov 2014 at 3:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic