MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traditional heavy rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Ears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traditional heavy rock
    Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 11:35am
I like traditional heavy rock like Black Sabbath, Budgie, Boston, Blue Oyster Cult, City Boy, Stray and Robin Trower. Am I in the right place or is it all thrash metal here?
Item equals totem
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 11:55am
No, there's a category for proto-metal, which includes traditional hard rock and early metal and pre-metal bands and a category for traditional heavy metal. There's also a category for 80s glam metal. More specifically, MMA includes the following subgenres:

So, it's more than just thrash metal ;-)

Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 12:04pm
As a matter of fact, traditional / proto metal, hard rock and stuff in that vein is quite popular among MMA users it seems, compared to "newer" genres. So I'm sure you're in the right place, hehe.
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Ears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 12:21pm
I had never heard the term proto-metal before today. Therefore, I have certainly never heard of it in the context of what I have known, since the early seventies, to be plain old heavy rock. I accept that heavy rock is traditional in the light of punk rock-inspired thrash metal. Or, am I now splitting sub-genres? Isn't there a danger of too many titles meaning the same thing? Black Sabbath, for example, are a blues inspired traditional heavy rock band whom some consider to be heavy metal.   

Edited by Big Ears - 26 Apr 2010 at 12:31pm
Item equals totem
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 12:30pm
Proto-metal, I think, is just another term for 70s hard rock, but in the context of heavy metal history.
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Ears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Proto-metal, I think, is just another term for 70s hard rock, but in the context of heavy metal history.
So how does traditional heavy rock differ?
Item equals totem
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 12:44pm
It doesn't differ, at least not in this description: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/proto-metal%28subgenre%29.aspx

"Proto-metal" just indicates that traditional hard rock came before metal and, in many ways, laid the foundations of what would become heavy metal. That's what I meant by "in the context of heavy metal history". The term "proto-metal" is fairly new to me, too, by the way.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 12:54pm
^

Indeed, Proto means "in its earliest form"

In this case Metal in its earliest form.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 4:25pm
While discussion is always a good thing, please let's avoid running in circles around the issue of subgenres like people did on PA. The site celebrated its first month of existence yesterday, and we cannot be expected to have reached perfection in such a limited amount of time. Therefore, definitions and such have a large margin for improvement - it is just not going to happen overnight.

As Admin Team, we have had to make some decisions that may prove unpopular at first, but at the very least will avoid the problems that have ended up tearing PA apart. It is better to be exclusive now, in the early days of the site, than be too inclusive right from day one, and cause no end of controversy. This is why we have decided to keep out of the database bands such as the ones you mention - with the exception of BOC, Budgie and, of course, Black Sabbath. There will be time in the future to reopen the discussion, and possibly add them (something which I support, on a merely personal level) - but first the site has to establish itself.
Stephen View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

I like traditional heavy rock like Black Sabbath, Budgie, Boston, Blue Oyster Cult, City Boy, Stray and Robin Trower. Am I in the right place or is it all thrash metal here?

hi buddy
i believe you're in the right place, most of the bands you mentioned basically can be considered traditional heavy metal. We're still in a growing phase and probably won't put any hard rock / blues rock genres for a moment, but usually, 70s hard rock will fit into proto-metal or trad HM, so you can start putting reviews, but if you still haven't seen the band you want, please PM me or put it on the Band suggestion forum

welcome aboard :)
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Ears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 3:39am
I just wanted to know if this is the place for the original heavy rock. I suggested Robin Trower for inclusion in the archive and understand the suggestion was removed. I would describe Black Sabbath as a blues-inspired heavy rock band and they are included. I understand the site is called METAL Music Archives, but back in the day heavy/ hard rock was also called heavy metal (whether we liked it or not).  

Item equals totem
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 5:59am
Your suggestion wasn't removed, it was locked - which means it can be reopened when the time is right. The decision not to include a Hard Rock section in the site FOR NOW was made by the owner, M@x, together with the Admin Team. As regards Black Sabbath, they are widely held as one of the major initiators of Heavy Metal, and every single metal site lists them (not to mention all the various books on the subject). This, unfortunately, is not true for Robin Trower or other artists you listed in your first post. 

Anyway, I explained the reasons for our decision in the thread whose link I posted in the Robin Trower suggestion. Even though you don't have to agree with our decision, I still believe you can at least try to understand our motivations.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic