MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to MMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Yardbirds - pre-proto-metal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Yardbirds - pre-proto-metal?
    Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 8:19am
As the Yardbirds have been added I�ve now locked this thread.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 7:11am
Passed on to proto team.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
voila_la_scorie View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 7:06am
I recently (and I think accidentally) dropped this question in the metal recommendations forum. (Sorry to those that were miffed by my erroneous posting). But as I was encouraged by a couple of members of the MMA upper echelon, I will re-post here. 

I used to read a Canadian metal magazine back in the 80's, and one of their monthly features was called "Roots of Metal". In one issue, the Yardbirds were mentioned, and after buying some compilation cassettes, I found I enjoyed their more experimental work, particularly with Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page. Along with the mid-sixties' the Who and the Kinks, I feel the Yardbirds contributed some of the early ideas and inspirations for proto-metal and metal-related bands to come, such as Rush, Aerosmith and even Motorhead. Here are ten tracks that I think pointed in the direction of the nascent metal genre.

1. Ain't Got You - Heavy beat and guitar though no distortion. The guitar solo works as a blueprint for Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" solo.

2. Mr. You're a Better Man than I - Jeff Beck plays a very cool solo with heavy sound and distortion.

3. I'm not Talking - A rollicking rocker with a dirty, gritty feel and two awesome guitar solos by Mr. Beck.

4. Train Kept a Rollin' - The Yardbirds made this song a heavy rock foundation. Later covered by Aerosmith and Motorhead and also in Zeppelin's early repertoire.

5. Stroll On - The Yardbirds re-write of "Train Kept a Rollin'" for the movie "Blow Up". Heavier than the original and featuring Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page together.

6. Happenings Ten Years Time Ago - Another Beck/Page track. Not as heavy as "Stroll On" but definitely a potential inspiration for later bands.

7. I Ain't Done Wrong - Simple crunchy chords and a solo section that sounds like 60's Metallica. Were the Yardbirds going for speed metal in twelve bar blues?

8. Shapes of Things - Though the distortion only comes in on the solo and the solo's closing heavy chord, the song could easily be an early form of hard rock. Later covered by bands like Nazareth and Rush.

9. Someone to Love (part 2) - An instrumental version of part one with Jeff Beck seriously making use of distortion and solo guitar effects.

10. Think About It / Dazed and Confused - "Think About It" features the original workings of the Zeppelin "Dazed and Confused" solo. The Yardbirds took it further by actually recording "Dazed and Confused" (rare live recordings exist) - a different version than the one Zeppelin would record a year later.

So, what do you think? Though they may be pre-proto-metal, do the Yardbirds deserve some allocation on this site? You can sample all the tunes I mentioned on iTunes.

A story told that can't be real somehow must reflect the truth we feel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic