Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taking Doom to the extreme

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renkls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking Doom to the extreme
    Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 8:10am
I've looked at my ratings on this site thus far, and a majority lean into doom metal, so I'm wondering, what album do you think pushes the boundaries in doom to the extreme? Maybe even too far?

I can think of three that really push the envelope...
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/vonn--victim-one-agony.aspx
VONN - Victim One: Agony cover
BUNKUR - Nullify cover
Stripped back to the barebones, minimalist, bass fuzz hell.
BORIS - Absolutego cover
Drone doom noise experiment to the extreme.

Yes, my adoration of huge length doom music leads me to the belief these are pretty extreme examples of the genre.

But what are doom metal albums that strike you as extreme?

Edited by renkls - 19 Oct 2012 at 8:11am
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 8:17am
Does some of Bull of Heaven's shit that lean more towards drone doom count?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 8:47am
Absolutego (and everything Boris does) is awesome.

A cool album that pushes doom metal to in a completely different direction is Sunn O))) & Nurse With Wound's The Iron Soul Of Nothing

renkls View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renkls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 4:22am
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Does some of Bull of Heaven's shit that lean more towards drone doom count?
I guess so. I've heard some of their longform drone works, I don't know many of their discography that nails doom really.
Jd_Wheels View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jd_Wheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 4:51pm
If your looking for a doom band that pushes the boundaries to a gross extreme... I wroth this review for Metalbite.com in '10.   They seem not to be on the label any longer... but if you can find the CD... listen and be horrified.

Sick - Satanism, Sickness, Solitude.
SpikeFarm Records (2008)
Label Website: www.spikefarm.fi

There are many bands that have used this overly used name, and most don�t really live up to it.  Upon hearing SpikeFarm�s unique and very unsettled new signing, Sick... the name that so many bands have tried on for size, finally has a real owner.

This trio of demented people can be only described as a severely bastardized crossing of Doom Metal, Industrial music like early Ministry and then  added in  unholy satanic lyrics that eats it way through the rotting flesh of the living like a hungry mutated maggot.  This album is not for the squeamish or the faint of heart, or for the normal Black Metal fans for that matter... yet the band is compelling and scary at the same time. 

Sick is just simply very Doomy, depressing music that creates a world of morbid thoughts and deep torment melancholy that has ever been seen.  They are sort of like November�s Doom in lyrical complexities, but their hearts seem as black as Satan�s soul and are clearly out to feed off of the unwary, the weak or the unlucky.. Musically, they are not overly �sparkling� in that department, but they still end up kicking your ass with their heavy grinding type dirges they bring.

This album is hard to get through just once, and perhaps will not be played too many times by most people out there... but one listen of this bleak and highly deranged band is worth buying the damn thing.  Sick is the unofficial yet twisted soundtrack for a world that no one needs to really know about, but should know about to avoid its twisted grip.

Musicianship: 9
Atmosphere: 9
Production: 9
Originality: 9
Overall: 9

Rating: 9.0

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic