MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The earliest non proto metal album on here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT*RUSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The earliest non proto metal album on here
    Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 3:06am
Please forgive me if this has been posted before but I rarely come in here(but maybe I will more now).

Anyway, I'm just curious as to what that album might be. I know that many albums pre 1980 and or the NWOBHM are listed as proto metal on here and I can understand that label for the most part but I'm just curious as to the earliest album listed here that is not labled "proto metal."

I saw that Judas Priest's "sad wings of destiny" from 1976 is labled "traditional heavy metal." Is there one on here earlier than that?

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 4:52am
I think most pre 1975 albums are listed as either non or proto metal on MMA, but maybe members of the proto team can answer that better than me. As far as I remember "Sad Wings of Destiny" was actually used as an example of one of the very first "real" metal albums in history as in contrast to the more blues based heavy rock/metal albums of the early seventies. But again I�m probably not the best to answer the question.Smile
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 4:58am
There are a few albums from 1974 tagged either trad or glam, but maybe those are mistagged? Select 1974 on the top albums filter. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 2:05pm
Technically, 1975 is the cut-off year, and there probably are some releases that need re-tagging.
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 2:48pm
Technically NO Kiss albums before Creatures are glam metal (they are glam rock with hard rock tendencies), they are tagged glam metal just because we don't have glam rock category, the same can be said about some 70's Alice Cooper and Sweet albums, which are not tagged proto metal because of the cut off year. Normally, there was no glam metal before 1981-1982 before Twisted Sister or Dokken. Maybe we can tag albums between 1975-1981 hard rock. and with Kiss 1974 albums proto metal.

Edited by Lynx33 - 27 Sep 2012 at 6:52am
All that is over. Today, I know how to celebrate beauty.
DT*RUSH View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT*RUSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I think most pre 1975 albums are listed as either non or proto metal on MMA, but maybe members of the proto team can answer that better than me. As far as I remember "Sad Wings of Destiny" was actually used as an example of one of the very first "real" metal albums in history as in contrast to the more blues based heavy rock/metal albums of the early seventies. But again I�m probably not the best to answer the question.Smile

A lot of people seem to think Black Sabbath were pure heavy metal right from the get go and by the time of Masters of Reality(if not Paranoid)they had lost the blues influence. They sound pretty much straightforward metal to me though but if the moderators on here want to call Black Sabbath before "heaven and hell" proto metal that's fine by me. THey are one of the few 70's bands I would call heavy metal and not proto though along with JP, Motorhead and maybe a few others.
DT*RUSH View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT*RUSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 10:58pm
Ok I just saw that UFO's "phenomenon" from 1974 is listed as "traditional heavy metal" so so far that's the earliest non proto metal album I have seen on here. If anyone knows of anything earlier(still not sure why Black Sabbath is considered proto since they seem to be universally acclaimed as the first true metal band(and I happen to agree with that)) please tell me which ones. 
DT*RUSH View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT*RUSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 10:35pm
OK, I suppose maybe it's the Scorpion's "lonesome crow" from 1972.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic