MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite genres

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Is metal your favourite genre?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.55%]
4 [18.18%]
9 [40.91%]
3 [13.64%]
4 [18.18%]
1 [4.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite genres
    Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 5:00am
How much time do you spend listening to metal music? Is it your favourite genre? If not, what is? Was it the first genre you listened to? Have you listened to some embarrassing stuff before starting your adventure with metal music?

No pony option this time, behave yourself !
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 7:54am
Yes, but I love quite a lot of non-metal artists. (Albeit the majority of said non-metal artists are mainly progressive rock, I'm not necessarily the man with the most diverse taste in the world).
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 3:21pm
^ Same for me, I was thinking about the fourth option but I think most stuff I listen to is metal, with jazz and prog rock as close seconds. I also love folk music provided that it's not too cheesy.
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 3:36pm
No, but I like it a lot.  Post-rock is still number one for me, with prog rock and ambient being up there too.  
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 4:13pm
Most of the music I like tends to be metal, hard rock or prog rock, but I enjoy a lot of other stuff, too. Examples are Chick Corea Electric Band, The Beastie Boys and Depeche Mode.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 5:37pm
As far as a favourite genre goes, I couldn't tell you.  When I listen to my MP3 player at work, I usually don't like hitting a big run (over 3 albums) of the same genre in a row.  I'd just say my favourites at this point are metal, jazz, and various types of rock (hard rock, prog, folk, ..).  I also listen to a fair amount of hip-hop/rap and electronic music, but the other genres make up the bulk of my collection.
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eria Tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 1:50am
I would have no problem admitting that Prog rock is my most prefered genre of music. Although I must add Krautrock, Jazz, Folk, Post Rock, and of course Metal are all very special to me. 
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 7:48am
No, but I like it a lot.

In fact I prefer stuff like Grateful Dead, The Beatles, ABBA, The String Cheese Incident, early Yes, etc. more than anything as it's my cup of tea. What can I say, Iike upbeat stuff! Regarding genres though I guess you could say I like most are...

jam band, jazz, chill-out/downtempo, psychedelic trance, ambient, classical music, folk, chiptune, progressive rock(the less pretentious stuff), some psychedelic rock, some classic hard rock and maybe a few others I can't think of at the moment. I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to music, the only stuff I can't stand beyond any shadow of a doubt is stuff like Hinder, Theory of a Deadman, Nickleback, Lady GaGa, Linkin Park, etc. So basically soccer mom music and tweeny bop music...as I call it lol. Other than that though, I'll certainly give it a try.

Edited by musiclover60sn70s - 27 Jan 2013 at 7:50am
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 8:01am
I love progressive rock about as much as metal. For me, they're probably tied as my favorite genre, but I also listen to a fair amount of jazz (especially fusion), hip hop, and post rock (if I'm in the right mood).
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 8:24am
I voted 'Yes, but I love quite a lot of non-metal artists.'
I listen to a lot of progressive Rock especially the old stuff and also some of the Classic Rock bands I grew up with such as Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Neil Young and the Grateful Dead.
Deadcenter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadcenter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 6:35am
Only Metal is real!
Guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 5:51am
My favorite genre is electronic music as well as hip-hop -- and if you combine the two together, you get this: 

el pechu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el pechu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 6:31pm
Yes, but I love quite a lot of non-metal artists.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 8:30pm
Well now I'd say more than anything I listen to ambient, trip hop, down-tempo, neo-psychdedelic rock, indie rock, almost any type of metal music(again! yes I'm even starting to check out the deathcore, nu metal, and etc. genres 'cause I never gave them a proper listen to..), jazz, classical, industrial, ebm, punk, post-punk, goth rock, new wave, synthpop, and a whole buncha' other stuff!!! I'm probably more adventurous now than I ever was when it comes to music...some new personal favorites of mine are: MGMT, Tame Impala, Skinny Puppy, Depeche Mode, Kula Shaker, etc.
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 11:49pm
i love metal. thrash is my fav genea but i lile lots of non metal like prog like yes and rush. also i love vocally driven music john denver being one of my all time favorite artists. i like punk to like bad relgion. here is a list of non metal artists i like. abba, frank zappa, frank sinatra, nat king cole, the ink spots, the platers, neil diamond, jim croce, bob dylan, dire straits, steve miller band, chicago, rick james, reo speedwagon, albama, the carpenters

Edited by vmoore - 28 Apr 2014 at 11:55pm
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 3:12pm
I chose the third because Metal is my roots musically but I love other genres of music too Smile
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 11:08pm
Most of the stuff I listen to is metal and hard rock, but I do also quite a bit of classic rock, ambient, experimental electronic, Celtic folk, classical, punk, and blues/rock.

Edited by Unitron - 18 Sep 2015 at 11:21pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic