Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Miniature war games

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Miniature war games
    Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 11:29am
I figured that this hobby deserved its own thread outside of Traditional RPG.  Anyone here play any thing like this?  Warhammer (Battle Fantasy or 40k), Warmachine/Hordes, Axis & Allies, Lord of the Rings, etc.  Talk about your army composition, victories (or defeats), show off models etc.

I've started playing 40k over the summer and I played it just last night two games against the same guy.  The first was a 1000 point game against his Necrons.  My Space Wolves lost horribly.  Only one Wolf Guard with twin claws was left alive.  And while I did win close combat quite a few times and destroyed a weapon on his Annihilation Barge with a lucky rending hit from an assault cannon, I did not wipe out any of his units.  But I'm new to this and I like to fight armies that aren't Space Marines so that I can learn more.

Because I play Space Wolves who are basically Space Marines with special rules.  I played a 500 point game against his Space Marines after that.  His Marines were painted up with Elder Scrolls Dark Brotherhood colors/hand insignias.  That time, I totally wiped him out.  That is why I prefer not to play against Space Marines.  They don't have a whole lot of surprises for me; though I may change my tone if I ever play Blood Angels or Grey Knights.

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 25 Aug 2012 at 5:20pm
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 9:47pm
I don't know if this would count or not, but I used to be really into Mage Knights when I was a kid, maybe from 8 years old to 13 or so (when middle school deemed this to be uncool).  Me and my buddies would hang out at the comic book shop with all of the booster packs trying to weigh them in our hands to see which ones had the bigger (and better) figures.  Then we would go home and set them all up (completely disregarding the point limit) and play for about 10 minutes before we got bored and resorted to trading them instead of actually using them. 

I apparently made the wrong move by keeping all of them in my closet and selling my Yu-Gi-Oh cards, because I went to the comic book store a few weeks ago to find that Mage Knights no longer have any value whatsoever.  So now I can keep them forever and show them to my kids, and explain how that collection of 3-inch tall sculpted figurines was once worth hundreds of dollars.  The world we live in, huh?

I've never had the attention span to play any sort of card or collectible figurine game since then, but after seeing a bunch of people playing some game (it might have been Warhammer 40k, not sure) in the lounge of my college campus, I might have to reconsider.  It can't be ridiculously priced, though.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 5:22pm
edited for thread title spelling ;)

I have a decent-sized tyranid army, haven't played in a while partly because I was away working all summer.  Could always use more monstrous creatures.  Before 40K I played Games Workshop's LOTR game for a while, but then they changed it a ton and meh anyway.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 6:27pm
Well, here's what I'm working with within 1000 points:

HQ:
Rune Priest w/
-Terminator Armor
-Wolf Tooth Necklace (in close combat, he always hits on a 3+ no matter what the opponent's WS is)
-Master of the Runes (allows the use of two psyker powers per turn)
-Wolf Tail Talisman (extra psychic protection)

Heavy Support:
5 Long Fangs w/
-1 Heavy Bolter
-1 Plasma Cannon
-1 Rocket Launcher
-1 Lascannon

Elites:
5 Wolf Scouts w/
-Meltagun

1 Lone Wolf w/
-Terminator Armor
-Chainfist

6 Wolf Guard:
I-Terminator, Twin Wolf Claws
II-Terminator, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield
III-Terminator, Thunder Hammer, Stormbolter
IV-Terminator, Power Sword, Assault Cannon
V-Twin Wolf Claws
VI-Thunder Hammer, Stormbolter

Troops:
6 Grey Hunters w/
-Meltagun
-Attached Wolf Guard VI
-Drop Pod w/ Deathwind Missile Launcher

6 Grey Hunters w/
-Meltagun
-Powerfist
-Attached Wolf Guard V

It adds up to exactly 999 points.  I think it's a pretty solid combination for that size before I go and purchase Thunderwolves or a Land Raider.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 11:02pm
Got my ass kicked by another Necron army tonight.  I'm going to need to build up my army a little more, especially since one of the clubs I'm going to is having an Apocalypse game scheduled on September 22, which should be a lot of fun.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 7:56am
^Hey, Wilitank, maybe you should try to leave this thread to PA or JMA, maybe you'll find more enthusiasts of these games.

I would love to play them, but the brazilians have no tradition on playing these games, and need to import them. It's too expensive to me. Cry
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 1:15pm
They're retardedly expensive here too, that's just the nature of the game.  One reason I don't play anymore.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 10:05pm
I played a game against Imperial Guard tonight and tied, though if it went on to turn six he probably would have wiped me.  Still, wrecked at least four tanks including one explosion.  Just the visualization of three Thunder Wolves clobbering two Leman Russ tanks was just awesome though and they wrecked both of them before the rider with the Thunder Hammer got a chance to make his hits.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Apocalypse game scheduled on September 22, which should be a lot of fun.

Well this was fun.

Imperial guys:
-2 Space Wolves players (one of them me)
-White Scars
-Salamanders
-Imp Guard
--Hellhammer super heavy
-Grey Knights
-Black Templars

Xenos players
-2 Necrons players
--Custum made Necron Pylon made out of scrap metal and a green rock
-3 Eldar
-2 Dark Eldar

Imp dudes had a central area to defend which included a lot of bunkers, bastions, gun emplacements, and a Fortress of Redemption.  We had to defend that area and try to take control of either or both of the two outside objectives marked for extra points and possibly also destroy a tower belonging to the xenos on the far end of the table.  It was close, but we lost.  Necrons took a sound thrashing in the first turn, but Eldar were fucking vicious.  Prism shit, Bright Lance shit, Rangers, a bunch of Wraithlords, and two Avatars of Khaine.  At least the Ork player I know cancelled and didn't bring his Stompas.  I think the Imp team would need a second superheavy.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 10:58pm
Well, finally won a game against a non-Space Marine army.  Killed some nids tonight in purge the alien.  Just sit back, chew on one or two gant squads at a time with bolter fire while those Tervigons conveniently make more..  Goodbye, lizard scum!  I'm sure killing the Flyrant and Trygon also helped.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic