MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to MMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA.C.T?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A.C.T?
    Posted: 19 May 2012 at 5:35pm
Ok, this one might not fit easily into a particular metal sub-genre, but I'd suggest Progressive Metal for A.C.T - what do you all think?  I actually had a discussion about them with a good friend and didn't think they were quite heavy enough to qualify as metal, but he vehemently disagreed with that one.  They've got them as Eclectic Prog on PA:
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=424
Here's a good example of them:

Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 6:08pm
i say yes to ether prog metal or hard rock, 
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 7:53pm
I like that band, Last Epic is a great album, I like especially the songs The Effect with Sara Svensson (Dark Tranquility, Oxiplegatz) on vocal and Ted's Ballad (though the demo version is much better), however, we're streching the boundaries here intending to include them here. They have that special spark that makes them included on PA as Eclectic Prog (the most problematic/form-breaking category to sort something into in Progressive Rock), but in my opinion, they are far from Hard Rock, they are too ramfying to be so, if they fit any category, that's Progressive Metal. They have heavy guitars, complex structures, long songs with their typical even musical kind melody-filled sound, but they are very much on the borderline. If we see our bands filed under Progressive Metal actually being progressive black metal, progressive death metal, progressive thrash metal, djent, metal fusion, progressive power metal, extreme progressive metal, shredding-basis progressive metal, a lot of post metal even progressive sludge, plus Tool, Devin Townsend, then I say No. However, we have typical bands filed under Progressive Metal dancing on the thin ice between progressive rock and progressive metal like King's X, Haken, Enchant, Divine Regale, Dreamlore, Explorers Club, The Jelly Jam etc, then I say Yes. Maybe, we should decide by votingSmile
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 1:59am
I believe they have been suggested before in the collab zone. I was very busy at the time and I don't think anything really came of it. I believe we were going to vote though. I will dig out the old posts in the team thread and we can take a vote. I think I was leaning towards no, but I will have to re-listen before deciding.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 2:05am
Yes this certainly is borderline and needs to be discussed before addition. Personally I would say yes. I think they have a lot of heavy guitars (reminds me of early DT) on their music (especially the first two albums) and the complexity to be in progressive metal are there too. The fact that they are often reviewed in heavy metal magazines and webzines speak volumes too if you ask me. But yeah they certainly are on the border between rock and metalSmile.

I don�t see them in hard rock though but maybe someone from that team could comment on that?

Edited by UMUR - 20 May 2012 at 2:05am
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 3:24am
ac/dc is also borderline metal/rock, but they are also sort a pioneer,

ACT is a really good band, i have one album which i like alot
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 3:46am
I have brought them up again in the prog metal team thread so if all prog team collabs could have a say over there we can see if we get a majority. Other opinions of course welcome. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 2:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic