MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blackend Death Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EM Hearst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blackend Death Metal
    Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 3:41pm
Here is the official Blackend Death Metal thread. Ouch

So, who are your favorites in this sub-genre?  A long time ago I liked some Black Metal (Limbonic Art, Abigor, Marduk, Watain, early Ulver...) but i lost my taste for the genre after a while, except for the bands that fuse Black Metal with more technical Death Metal elements.

Behemoth and Belphegor are two favorites who have remained in nearly constant rotation for me over the past 6 years or so.

Behemoth: Demigod and Apostasy own. They lean more towards death than black perhaps, and maybe that's why i like them? I haven't been able to get into their new album too much, it seems like more-of-the-same, but slightly less powerful because it feels like i've heard it all before. Still, it's good and grows better with each listen.

Belphegor: woefully under-rated band i think. Slightly less complex than Behemoth, but just as aggressive and menacing. Their songwriting is excellent and their albums really stay with you and seep into your soul after a while. Pestapocalypse VI and Goatreich are excellent... close to masterpiece level albums in my opinion. Their past two albums are good as well, but not quite at the same level.

so, tell me... what are your favorite BDM bands? There must be some other bands i need to check out... maybe there are are some similar bands that i have missed?
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 6:52pm
I always had a soft spot of Necrophobic's The Nocturnal Silence http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYOY9RPRm6Y&feature=related

If you like Belphegor maybe some God Dethroned I think some of their members cross over throughout the years. They had two reasonably solid albums in the late 90's. 
mosefus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosefus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 9:08pm
You can't go too far wrong with Naglfar. 
Sheol in particular is an awesome album though, with the exception of  Pariah, they've barely put a foot wrong.
http://www.smellthecult.com
http://www.smellthecult.blogspot.com

Keep it metal and ye shall be wise
DeathOfSeasons View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathOfSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 1:01am
I like Blackened Death Metal but I find a lot of it to be far too repetitive. I love bands like Martriden and Akercocke, but as a whole Blackened Death Metal doesn't do very much for me.

Also, Behemoth would have to be one of the most overrated Metal bands ever Tongue
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 2:15am
Drottnar is a great band if you like technical black/ death metal. Sort of like fusing Atheist with D�dheimsgard or something like that.
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 8:59am
German band Mephistopheles :

cardiacs123 = lucas Wink

US band Absu :

Polish band Behemoth :

Polish band Vesania :

Edited by lucas - 10 Apr 2010 at 9:10am
angelmk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelmk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 9:17am
^^ hey man, Mephistopheles rocks!!! what a great music, i have heard Songs Of The Desolate Ones, and that is damn good black metal. Absu are ok, Behemoth rocks as well 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by angelmk angelmk wrote:

^^ hey man, Mephistopheles rocks!!! what a great music, i have heard Songs Of The Desolate Ones, and that is damn good black metal.
Yes, 'songs of the desolate ones' is a 5-star album.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 3:50pm
Aeon and Bloodthorn might be interesting too. Naumachia and the polish Elenium.

Edited by UMUR - 11 Apr 2010 at 1:58am
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 10:26am

...First you take a nice, lean cut of heavy metal, for additional flavour, add a stuffing of death by mixing some blood, gore and speed...perhaps a little sea salt and rosemary if you like. Finally, take your death stuffed metal to a firey barbeque pit and cook until slightly blackened. And that, is how you create a satisfying dish of Blackened Death Metal. LOL

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 2:00pm
Akercocke is a great blackened death metal band!
Vobiscum View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vobiscum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 6:43am
Behemoth.

Since "Demigod" I have heard "Behemoth" and confess that have been enough for me. "The Apostasy" and "Evangelion" are also magnificent albums.
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ytse_Jam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 8:00pm
I wanna recommend this important black/death metal band from my country, Italy. It's called Blasphemophagher and plays one of the best old school death metal i've ever heard. I've got their first on vynil and the last release on cd, their best work to me. They also did a long US tour this year if i'm no wrong. Highly recommended if you like classic black/death in the vein of Blasphemy, Sarcofago, Archgoat and so on.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 3:15am
Originally posted by Murphy Murphy wrote:

I always had a soft spot of Necrophobic's The Nocturnal Silence http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYOY9RPRm6Y&feature=related

If you like Belphegor maybe some God Dethroned I think some of their members cross over throughout the years. They had two reasonably solid albums in the late 90's. 
I�ve been listening to a lot of Necrophobic lately...Especially their first two albums are extremely great to my ears. "The Nocturnal Silence" is basically old school Swedish death metal with a blackened twist while "Darkside" is what I would call melodic black/death metal with a more clear emphasis on black metal. They would swing back towards a more blackened death metal oriented style already on the next album again though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image