MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bad image quality after pressing submit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad image quality after pressing submit
    Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 8:42am
Anyone else have problems with bad image quality after they add a new release or after changing an existing pic? The last couple of days whenever I add a good quality image to a release, it looks like a low resolution one once I�ve submitted it.Unhappy

Edited by UMUR - 23 Apr 2012 at 8:46am
graphix View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graphix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:02am
Hi UMUR,

I added an image converter (thumbnails) to reduce the size of the images and speed up the load time of the site in general. I also noticed that the images quality has been reduced. I will work on a better image converter. The original image you uploaded is still OK on the server, it's just that the site is now referring to the created thumbnails. I will work on creating better thumbnails.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:15am
Thanks for the info PhilThumbs Up and great idea to reduce load speed. It is pretty high at the moment.
graphix View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graphix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:19am
Just by resizing the covers, the front page dropped by about 40% in weight...
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 1:56pm
Now that you mention it, the site had been loading a lot quicker lately.  Thanks for that, Phil!  Now if only we could get ProgArchives to do the same thing...
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 1:57pm
I really disprove of that.  Now the site is useless as a resource for people to get album art from (say, for their media players, forum avatars, etc.)

Or linking to the "what are you listening to" thread

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 23 Apr 2012 at 1:58pm
graphix View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graphix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 2:06pm
I will find a way to add the possibility to show the original image cover (uploaded size).
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 2:09pm
How much are the images resized? Because I agree with Colin that we still need to be a resource. There needs to be a balance between the size of and quality of the images and site loading time.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by graphix graphix wrote:

I will find a way to add the possibility to show the original image cover (uploaded size).

Clap
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 2:13pm
I'm not bothered by the small size, however the images do currently look especially bad on the actual album pages. Looks like they're trying to be displayed larger than the scaled down resolution is, resulting in the poor quality. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 2:16pm
^I think Phil mentioned above that he will be working on a better image converter.
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 2:24pm
That is true... 

I'll ask Phil to use the original (or higher quality thumbnail) for the album pages
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 3:01am
Something has happened and it looks good againThumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic