MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Triumph

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Triumph
    Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 2:13pm
The Canadian band is under Black Metal. Glam would be more their style. The bio is okay and that is where the confusion snuck in most likely as there a few Bands called Truimph and one happens to be Black Metal.Smile
Matt
NJCat_11 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJCat_11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 4:51pm

I'll move them right away.  Such a great band too.  Wink

Thanks for pointing out the error.
NJCat_11 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJCat_11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 5:02pm
I left the bio for the other bands called Triumph (particularily the Black Metal one) in case it needs to be split.

Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 5:05pm
Well, personally speaking, I would not call Triumph Glam Metal - at least not the albums I am familiar with (the ones released in the early Eighties). I remember their image was a tad on the glam side, though, with guitarist Rik Emmet wearing red spandex pants or something to that effectLOL.
NJCat_11 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJCat_11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Well, personally speaking, I would not call Triumph Glam Metal - at least not the albums I am familiar with (the ones released in the early Eighties). I remember their image was a tad on the glam side, though, with guitarist Rik Emmet wearing red spandex pants or something to that effectLOL.

Although I love the band, I tend to agree.  Jay and I will have to deliberate on whether or not they belong here.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

all 80's metal bands wore Spandex pants >>> Def Leppard were the Champions in that category, I think

You're right though, the Toronto band is not Glam (they existed from 73 onwards >> Glammetal started 10 years latter with Twisted Sister) >>> I'd place them in proto-metal or trad metal.

Edited by Sean Trane - 07 Apr 2010 at 7:48am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 11:49pm
^That generalizations is evidently inaccurate. Not all 80's bands wore spandex. All 80's commercially-accesible bands might have, but all bands in other genres didn't. Thrash was being born and exploded with no spandex. So did death and early black metal. Only bands from the LA area and related (plus other bands in the same style) adopted spandex as their attire. Even Def Leppard... They had the big hairs, sure. But check their videos and you'll have big problems trying to find spandex pants. Jeans with holes on them more likely...
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 12:02am
My reason for the Glam Genre suggestion is because actually the band themselves say they are Hard Rock and not really Metal. Their first album was 1976 (self titled). They formed in 1975. The reference to Twisted Sister,they actually formed in 1973 as Silverstar changed to Twisted Sister in 1975. They did not record to 1982.  Triumph are a toss up for either genre Trad or the Glam but one thing they are not Black Metal. Nobody seems game to put a genre on them anywhere on the net but they do come connected to the odd Glam site. They had hair and they had the pants but are only labelled as a Hard Rock band by themselves and since they are here because they are Metal and we have to put them somewhereTongue. One other debating point Glam Metal is a by product of Glam Rock and that was very healthy in the early 70's.
Matt
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 5:57am
Originally posted by The T 666 The T 666 wrote:

^That generalizations is evidently inaccurate. Not all 80's bands wore spandex. All 80's commercially-accesible bands might have, but all bands in other genres didn't. Thrash was being born and exploded with no spandex. So did death and early black metal. Only bands from the LA area and related (plus other bands in the same style) adopted spandex as their attire. Even Def Leppard... They had the big hairs, sure. But check their videos and you'll have big problems trying to find spandex pants. Jeans with holes on them more likely...

Iron Maiden wore spandex in the Eighties as well (though not redWink), and so did The Scorpions and Saxon. The latter's vocalist, Biff Byford, was quite famous for wearing silver-white spandex on stageLOL. None of these bands were from LA, or played the same style of music as Motley Crue or Ratt.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 6:11am

^ Ceff Leppard  But check their videos and you'll have big problems trying to find spandex pants. Jeans with holes on them more likely...
Sorry, confused them with Maiden

but English bands and Scorpions wore Spandex in the !�'s as did Van Halen (except Roth wore wore those leather pants)

Which is why I'd probably not make Spandex a sine qua non condition in the Glam/Hair metal genrel dezscription.... Outrageous make-up (Ratt and Twisted Sister) and ribbons (Motley) can also be part of the description

Getting back to Triumph...??!!!

Trad/Heavy or Proto???

Edited by Sean Trane - 07 Apr 2010 at 7:48am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

NJCat_11 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJCat_11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 2:09pm
Deleted.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 8:51am

GLAM!!!!!????
(Thats all I'll say about that) But anyways, Allied Forces thru Seven Thunders sound Metal to me
(Most of their songs. And they have Ballad-like songs too, just like most Heavy Metal Albums of that
era). They get put in a PrOg Metal catagory as well, which I have no problem with Wink.
>>>WARNING<<< Watch future MA members slam you for putting them anywhere near GLAM
territory LOL.

Uhh . . . you need to see Metallica's "Cliff 'em All" video, look who is wearing Spandex for
their debut album when they played Clubs Tongue.  If they are wearing Spandex, think of the
many other Thrash Bands that were too when they started out.

Sorry, not looking for a fight Ouch.

Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 8:52am
They won't be put anywhere, since they have been deleted. End of story.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic