MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traditional Role Playing Games (NOT cRPG!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Have you ever participated in a role playing game session?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [22.22%]
5 [55.56%]
2 [22.22%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 9:54pm
I played two games of 40k tonight.  First was a Crusade with four objectives against another Space Wolf player, so we had some Wolf on Wolf action.  I ended up winning, which I felt good for having only been my first full game (second actual game).  The second game was Purge the Alien against a Tau player and I lost.  Miserably.  Every single one of my Space Wolves was killed, and the Tau player didn't lose a single unit (all of seven of his models died).  Tau are fucking obnoxious when they fire Overwatch with rapid fire weapons.  Almost all of my assaults got shut down because of them.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 10:48pm
Against tau you just have to outflank and deepstrike like mad... and they can't even touch you.

2 weaponskill because lole

Just be glad he wasn't running a rail-centric army, those are the worst

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 10 Aug 2012 at 10:49pm
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 6:16pm
Overwatch really made rapid fire weapons really frustrating for those on the receiving end for this edition.  I'm going to need more Long Fangs (Devastators) and complete my Wolf Scouts.  Wolf Scouts can do better than Outflank; they've got Behind Enemy Lines so that I can deploy them from reserves on any table edge on a 3+ including the enemy's side (1 is automatically left side, 2 is right) and Space Wolves have Acute Senses.  Now that I got my meltaguns in, I can finish my five scouts.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Against tau you just have to outflank and deepstrike like mad... and they can't even touch you.

2 weaponskill because lole

Just be glad he wasn't running a rail-centric army, those are the worst

I had a rematch against the same guy last night.  Put up a much better fight, but the store closed with him in the lead 4-3.  He had some special Forge World Crisis Suit HQ with a couple of wing men in Crisis Suits and drones in a single unit.  On the first game, he deepstriked with them as soon as he could and murdered my Long Fangs (Devastators).  This game, they couldn't get in until turn three and the Long Fangs made all their armor saves, though my Rune Priest wasn't as lucky.  But I had a better idea of how to win against him.  Long Fangs bring lotsa firepower on his Fire Warriors along with my Grey Hunter's rapid fire bolters before assaulting to finish them off (wiped out his Stealth Suits and one of his Fire Warrior squads with minimal casualties this way, though my Blood Claw squad were reduced to 1 and their Wolf Guard).  I tried using my Wolf Scouts with a meltagun against his Devilfish and destroyed a weapon before they (the scouts) all got killed.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 5:26pm
You should ask my brother about the time a lone remaining gaunt accidentally killed his HQ crisis suit.  Hilarity ensued.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 8:41pm

I love playing against Imperial Guard with my nids.  Just outflank with my genestealers and deepstrike all my monstrous creatures right on the opponents tanks, and he can't do a damn thing.

The above applies double so to Tau, which is my brother's army

I would like to point out now that that tactic doesn't work anymore because guess what:

In 6th edition,

You can't assault on the same turn you come in from outflank or deep strike! 

VargTheViking View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VargTheViking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 12:21pm
I have always wanted to try out some tabletop rpgs but I doubt there's much of a following where I live. Warhammer 40K looks particularly interesting since I played a few of the strategy games out for PC.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 2:50pm
You definitely should. I've been a game master since 1999 and I love this to this day (although I don't have enough time to play regularly, life is not that easy anymore once you graduated from school). I'm not doing it the way I used to when I was a kid, obviously - stories have become more complicated, multi-dimensional and cinematic but the fun is always the same. Try it out, sir!

By Warhammer 40K do you mean Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader?
VargTheViking View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VargTheViking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

(although I don't have enough time to play regularly, life is not that easy anymore once you graduated from school)

I hear ya!

Yeah, the pen & paper games ala D&D (Dark Heresy) looked interesting to me. If you have a really good game master I could imagine it being loads of fun.

The minature war game looked pretty cool too, but judging from a few videos I watched online, I don't know if I'd be able to get into it. I don't really want to take a gamble and spend a bunch of cash and not really dig it. At the same time I feel that the videos don't really do it justice and it's one of those things that you got to actually participate in to enjoy.

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 5:05pm
Nothing can beat a good storytelling game session - with engaging plots, dramatic twists and atmosphere as good as in any gangster movie (we're playing in New York of the 20s, players are dealing with the mafia, corrupted cops, prohibition and obviously supernatural phenomena - and, what should be noted, they themselves are not humans). 

Personally, I can't see anything entertaining in miniature war games. Although I know people who enjoy it. I'm just more into interactive storytelling and good atmosphere than strategy, battles and collecting figurines that cost fortune. 

Edited by bartosso - 12 Feb 2013 at 5:12pm
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 10:24pm
Speaking of 40k roleplaying, a guy at one of the clubs started up a Black Crusade game.  I didn't join though because it was by invite only and fuck Chaos.

And I say there's plenty of atmosphere in the tabletop version.  There's something satisfying in imagining those little moments during the game.  Like during an Apocalypse game where the Necron character Anrakyr, The Traveler used his special ability to take control of an Eldar Titan to blow some shit up; and then, like something out of God of War, he assaulted it and basically climbed up and shoved his halberd into his head and 'sploded it.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 12:24pm

I love playing against Imperial Guard with my nids.  Just outflank with my genestealers and deepstrike all my monstrous creatures right on the opponents tanks, and he can't do a damn thing.

The above applies double so to Tau, which is my brother's army

Bumping just to say that Tau just got a new codex.  I've only played a small game with them so far, but according to my sources, they seem to be itching closer to being broken now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic