MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

meshuggah - thrash metal! what the hell??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Not really, Caio... They released at least eight fully prog studio albums (not counting their debut nor the controversial Duke), and only five (or six) pop ones, with some prog thrown in for good measure. Therefore, they would stay in a fully prog genre. 

Should we count the singles, "best of"s and related then?  LOL

then there is the whole matter...   and trust me.. it makes a difference being a veteran of PA's.... how is the group perceived.   Genesis is known as a pop group by 99% of the music listening public...  and others like Deep Purple had almost as many 'heavy prog' albums as Genesis had symphonic prog albums... yet to some.. considering Deep Purple prog is a matter of revising history.   And Genesis wasn't?

it is a funny business putting a round group in a square hole....  glad to see that albums can be placed in different subs based on content.. not simply labels or perception.   Not sure if there is as much variety within metal (across the various sub-genres per album) as there was with prog...  but if there is (that is for the experts to know and decide)... this site has a mechanism in place to deal with it.

kudos again M@X...Clap
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 7:09pm
Thrash Metal is fine for me. They have nothing in common with progressive metal.
I know metalheads that would kill me if I told them Meshuggah play prog metal.

Also I wouldn't consider Voivod and Mekong Delta prog metal bands. They are a Thrash Metal band as well with some proginess here and there in their later albums.

Edited by lucas - 03 Apr 2010 at 7:13pm
Harry View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 3:13am
The core of Meshuggah's sound has definitely been either thrash or groove metal (groove is listed as a sub genre of thrash under this site's definition anyway) depending on the album or even particular songs (e.g like obZen which featured the thrash metal of Combustion, while the rest of the album was rooted in groove metal).
The prog/experimental/avant garde aspect of of the band has always been secondary to their core sound of thrash and groove metal, which is why it makes perfect sense to slot them under thrash metal here.

To be honest most fans wouldn't even see them as a "prog" metal band at all. I certainly don't and this is coming from someone who thinks they put on one of the mos amazing live shows ever and owns most of their studio full lengths. To me, and most other fans, they've always been a thrash/groove metal band
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 4:48am

^I fully agree with you Harry. MMA definitions are very different from the ones on PA and we should think of MMA definitions on this site and not confuse them with PA definitions of what�s progressive or not. Old habits die hard and for some of us PA regulars there will be other challenges like this one to consider. Harry talks about the core sound of the band and that�s what I think we should be looking at too. 

CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 5:37am
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Not really, Caio... They released at least eight fully prog studio albums (not counting their debut nor the controversial Duke), and only five (or six) pop ones, with some prog thrown in for good measure. Therefore, they would stay in a fully prog genre. 

Should we count the singles, "best of"s and related then?  LOL

then there is the whole matter...   and trust me.. it makes a difference being a veteran of PA's.... how is the group perceived.   Genesis is known as a pop group by 99% of the music listening public...  and others like Deep Purple had almost as many 'heavy prog' albums as Genesis had symphonic prog albums... yet to some.. considering Deep Purple prog is a matter of revising history.   And Genesis wasn't?

it is a funny business putting a round group in a square hole....  glad to see that albums can be placed in different subs based on content.. not simply labels or perception.   Not sure if there is as much variety within metal (across the various sub-genres per album) as there was with prog...  but if there is (that is for the experts to know and decide)... this site has a mechanism in place to deal with it.

kudos again M@X...Clap

I wasn't being serious, you know . . . . . Not even on my first post about Genesis.Wink

The fact that you and Raff still don't get the joke is what makes it funnier. LOLLOL Relax people, this ain't progarchives, you don't have to back up every point you make because people are too blind to see the obviousness of it. Smile
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 4:42pm
hahha....   you'll get used to my posting style Caio...it is a bit odd.   I knew it was a joke, yet served a purpose in my evil plans of internet domination hahha.  I have the maddening habit of quoting one person.. using their posts....and yet speaking to others LOL  Having received a PM on PA's... I see the person it was addressed to ...read it LOLLOLHeart

Edited by Raff - 04 Apr 2010 at 5:08pm
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 5:57pm

hahha....   you'll get used to my posting style Caio...it is a bit odd.   I knew it was a joke, yet served a purpose in my evil plans of internet domination hahha.  I have the maddening habit of quoting one person.. using their posts....and yet speaking to others LOL  Having received a PM on PA's... I see the person it was addressed to ...read it LOLLOLHeart
Edited by Raff - Today at 7:08pm

You guys have some serious personality problem LOLLOLTongue

Lova ya both anyway HeartSmile

Edited by CCVP - 04 Apr 2010 at 6:00pm
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 6:17pm
Well, he called you Ciao instead of CaioLOL...
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 6:23pm
hahhahah.... yeah... that needed to be editted... but yeah...  we ain't exactly normal i suspect LOL
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 6:24pm
I'm  glad that's fixed, cuz I would be f**king pisssed to see that Angry LOL.
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 6:26pm

she does look after me LOLHeart
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 6:29pm

She'd better. Or else I'll kill everyone and burn everything to ashes Angry. Ther rest you know. . . .LOL
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 6:32pm

She'd better. Or else I'll kill everyone and burn everything to ashes Angry. Ther rest you know. . . .LOL

yeah...  considering I am predisposed to getting myself in trouble.. she'd better.  It isn't like we are on a prog forum ...populated with pansies and pussies...  I'm on a metal forum now....Shocked best have my better half....  watch my back or someone might kick my ass back into the stoneage LOL
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sckxyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 1:20am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^I fully agree with you Harry. MMA definitions are very different from the ones on PA and we should think of MMA definitions on this site and not confuse them with PA definitions of what�s progressive or not. Old habits die hard and for some of us PA regulars there will be other challenges like this one to consider. Harry talks about the core sound of the band and that�s what I think we should be looking at too. 

Agreed. Progressive Metal here looks like it means specifically "Prog Metal", the unique and defined genre, rather than the adjective "progressive", which could apply to bands of any style of metal.

Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

Plus you have to realize that for most cases the site's decided to put all the extreme progressive metal bands in the subgenre most associated with them other than progressive metal. Meshuggah's definitely progressive thrash, so for this site it's the obvious fit.

Now Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects, on the other hand, I believe a perfect fit for avant-garde, yet it's still in thrash.

This, however, I agree should be moved to avant-garde metal.

Edited by Sckxyss - 06 Apr 2010 at 1:21am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic