MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hola!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoodyRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hola!
    Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 2:56pm
Hola! I'm not exactly a newbie, since I frequent PA a ton, but I figured that I'd join this site too. I don't listen to that much metal except for various incarnations of prog metal and some metalcore. My favorite metal bands/albums would have to be Rush (though they aren't metal, I see they're listed here), Devin Townsend (He ROX), Dream Theater (though I only own two albums), A Skylit Drive (who aren't here if I saw correctly, they're metalcore), maudlin of the Well, Opeth, and various post metal albums.

I would love some other metal suggestions, since I am largely ignorant to straight metal.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 3:03pm
...oh man where to start witht the suggestionsBig smile. If you�re new to the more traditional part of metal I�d recommend starting with the classics like Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. Just to get a good idea of how metal began. But if you want genre specific recommendations or "sounds like this band" suggestions, ask away and you�ll be buried in suggestions from our always helpful forum members. I�m sure of that.Tongue

...and welcome to MMA. We�re happy to see a new face on the forumSmile.
Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 3:12pm
Hey! You stole my line! XD

Anyway, glad to have you on the forum.
MoodyRush View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoodyRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 4:28pm
Hm... Three metal genres I'd like to look more into. Classic heavy metal, death metal, and post metal/sludge. I have ecailles de lune of Alcest of post metal. I know Opeth, but no other death metal bands.

Any good album suggestions for those genres? Being a prog fan primarily makes me LOVE the album format! Tongue
Follow me down to the valley below.
Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul.
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 4:45pm
Hello there

here is some  suggestons for you to listen to. 
not in any particular order, just all good bands you may like 

on the proggy/post side of things (for me at least)
amog symphony 
cloudkicker
animals as leaders 
red sparroes 
russian circles 
Subrosa 
agaloch 

DEATH BANDS (yeah its alphabetical)

death (classic death metal)
asesino(death-grind, but one of my favorite bands)
Behemoth (one of the best blackened death bands IMO)
Bloodbath (pretty standard death)
Cannibal corpse (THE death metal standard)
Dying Fetus (a tech death standard)
The faceless (a very nice clean tech-death band)
Fuck ... I'm dead (death grind, but one of my favorite bands)
Immolation (a MUST)
Meshuggah (listen)
Necrophagist (Great tech-death)
Nile (more AMAZING tech death)
Obituary (classic)
Psycroptic (another tech death band, worth a listen IMO)
Skinless (a really brutal death metal band Smile)
Viraemia(seriously the fastest band i have ever heard, must listen)

That should keep you buisy for a while 

Edited by SKwid - 04 Feb 2012 at 5:01pm

MoodyRush View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoodyRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 6:19pm
I'll take a look at those! I already own Enter by Russian Circles, which is awesome, and I have listened to Cloudkicker and Agalloch, both of which are pretty good. Meshuggah... I've listened to part of Chaosphere... Maybe not my thing. I look forward to having my mind squished by the epic listening to come though!
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 6:39pm
Welcome

Skwid, where the fuck is your Bolt Thrower recommendation?  MoodyRush, if you want the best of the best of death metal, Bolt Thrower is the way. Wink

I'd also second or additionally point out
Immolation
Panzerchrist (as hard, heavy, and warlike as their namesake.   Battalion Beast slays.)
Septic Flesh (has a symphonic flair to their music.  Sumerian Daemons is killer)
Behemoth
Vader (comes from the same country as Behemoth.  Not as strong IMO, but still very good.  De Profundis and Welcome to the Morbid Reich are recommended.)
Nile
Nocturnus (weird as hell sci-fi death metal.  The Key has cult status already and Thresholds is pretty good too.)
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 10:00pm
Hola!  Como estas?

Also, your sig wins.  Although I believe it's "moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul".  But no biggie.

Edited by Diogenes - 04 Feb 2012 at 10:01pm
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Welcome

Skwid, where the fuck is your Bolt Thrower recommendation?  MoodyRush, if you want the best of the best of death metal, Bolt Thrower is the way. Wink

I'd also second or additionally point out
Immolation
Panzerchrist (as hard, heavy, and warlike as their namesake.   Battalion Beast slays.)
Septic Flesh (has a symphonic flair to their music.  Sumerian Daemons is killer)
Behemoth
Vader (comes from the same country as Behemoth.  Not as strong IMO, but still very good.  De Profundis and Welcome to the Morbid Reich are recommended.)
Nile
Nocturnus (weird as hell sci-fi death metal.  The Key has cult status already and Thresholds is pretty good too.)

i have no idea where my bolt thrower recommendation is, i dont listen to that band, i guess i should 

MoodyRush View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoodyRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 1:55am
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

Hola!  Como estas?

Also, your sig wins.  Although I believe it's "moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul".  But no biggie.

DOH!! >.< That's embarrassing... Ouch Edited now. 
DefinitionOfHatred View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefinitionOfHatred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 4:57am
Be welcome to the site!

EDIT: and if you're looking for DM I think that Deicide is essential too. I'm surprised that no one mentioned them yet. Wink

Edited by DefinitionOfHatred - 05 Feb 2012 at 4:58am
Why is six afraid of seven? Because seven ate nine.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 5:31am
Welcome!

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 2:16pm
Hey there.

Ever listen to Isis, Cult of Luna or Neurosis?  Essential post-metal.
Dominator View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dominator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 12:57pm
Greetings from a straight metaller!
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 1:55pm
Welcome, MoodyRush!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic