Topic ClosedYour thoughts on the Westboro Baptist Church

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Sorry, Joseph. I have a tendency to get a little fired up on this sort of topic. Embarrassed

If Geoff wishes to continue the conversation, I'd be glad to move it over to private message, although I don't think we'll reach an agreement anytime soon. No hard feelings. Beer

Yeah.  That was a good debate to read but it's easy to see why some people, such as myself, choose not to get involved in these things.  A person's beliefs are not so easily swayed, no matter how logically you think you're presenting your argument.  Nothing wrong with that of course, it just doesn't seem like it's worth the effort.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:00am
^ Well, I enjoy every opportunity to practice my English, this discussion was perfect for that and I don't feel like I wasted my time, even though I failed to change Geoff's mindTongue

I just don't like the absolute morality being used as an argument for religion being morally superior to moral philosophy. That is all, I'm outta here
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:41pm
I would like to move on as well, however I need to point out there there ARE peer reviewed journals from the other side, which one can easily find with a little searching...and even if they did not exist, it does not mean the ideas are not sound: it only means that the people who are politically controlling the area of science didn't like the ideas themselves because they disagree with them. A sound idea is not made unsound by the fact that a majority of people dislike it.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 3:06pm
Head on wall If there are peer-reviewed journals by actual scientists, why don't you post them? Scientific consensus is determined by the amount of evidence supporting a theory - not some sort of 'political control'. You have a fundamental misunderstanding in how science works, and I will refrain from responding past this point.

If anyone else wants to take this from here, feel free.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 3:25pm
No thanks, I think you've hit it spot on with everything you've said, and there is no point in continuing on with this conversation. It will lead nowhere, as clearly nothing we say will be able to convince Geoff, and vice versa.

Let's just end this here for now and agree to disagree. Smile
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 11:24am
To me it's simple:

• Christianity (and other religions) are beliefs because they consist of propositions/statements cannot be empirically tested and falsified (or verified).
  • Evolutionary theory is scientific because it consists of propositions/statements(/theses)  that can be, and continually are, empirically tested and falsified (or verified).

I think that religion is a private affair, and everybody has the right to have whatever beliefs they want to.... as long as it doesn't interfere with other people's lives. Unfortunately, organized religion tends to interfere with other people's lives constantly, which is why I do despise organized religion. I also don't like religion disguised as science - fortunately, all cases of religion disguised as science can be dismissed as non-sciences because they cannot be empirically tested and falsified (or verified).
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 12:59pm
There is just as much belief in Evolution. It has not been proven - there is a difference between Evolution and other scientific facts: there is no mathematical formula for Evolution. All other scientific theories that have gotten to a point where they are considered to be fact have mathematical formulas, and are repeatable. There are a number of parts of the evolutionary theory that people have come up with ideas where, if the perfect conditions existed, the very unlikely event would cause this one part of the theory to happen.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 4:56pm
^ yeah, okay, let's assume hypothetically that it's not proven, do you think it is an evidence for the existence of God? I mean, if it turned out that DNA could not have been conceived by forces of nature and/or the evolution doesn't occur...  
I'm sorry I'm back here, I'm just really curious about the answer.
Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 6:03pm
I request this thread be locked.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Doomster Doomster wrote:

I request this thread be locked.

Done. Feel free to continue any conversations through private message. Thumbs Up
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic